Newbie Flag

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Newbie Flag

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:56 pm

You've selected new character generation! Would you like other players to know you are new to the realms of Sojourn? [y] [n]

(char is given a flag)
-------

In game other players can type 'who new' for a listing of what players wish to be known as new players the the realms.

If we can see who the helpers are, why not who the newbs are? :roll:

-LL
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:26 pm

Great idea. :)
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
muma
Sojourner

*thumbs up*

Postby muma » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:51 am

AGree agree and A G R E E :D
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:33 pm

Kossuth wrote:Great idea. :)

Is it? If it would identify true newbies, who could use some help and encouragement, sure. If you don't police it, and thus limit it to true newbies, what's it good for?
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:33 pm

Gurns wrote:
Kossuth wrote:Great idea. :)

Is it? If it would identify true newbies, who could use some help and encouragement, sure. If you don't police it, and thus limit it to true newbies, what's it good for?

It's good for sitting 1w and making pretend you're a n00b so goodhearted people will give you eq for your seventh alt! I'm sure that would've helped that dweeb who haunted 1w a week ago or so asking every Tom, Dick, Harry and Jane for eq and trading/selling it later.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:56 pm

You've selected new character generation! Would you like other players to know you are new to the realms of Sojourn? [y] [n]

y

You've selected YES and wish to be known as a new player to the realms of Sojourn3! In order to protect our players from abuse, we are now checking our database to insure your request is legit.

(Mud secretly checks the IP address of this person against all char IPaddresses)

(0)
Unfortunately your IP address matches one of our current players and we can therefor not validate your request to be known as a new player. If you feel this is an error and would still like to proceed, please email the Admins with your concerns at: admin@sojourn3.org
Character generation will now continue.

(1)
Congradulations and welcome to the new and fantastic world of Sojourn3! All players will be able to tell you are new to the realms by typing 'who new' where your name will appear. This will greatly assist you and them in helping to identify and address problems you might encounter. Character generation will now continue.

Baddabing

-LL :wink:
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:07 pm

Llaaldara wrote:You've selected new character generation! Would you like other players to know you are new to the realms of Sojourn? [y] [n]

y

You've selected YES and wish to be known as a new player to the realms of Sojourn3! In order to protect our players from abuse, we are now checking our database to insure your request is legit.

(Mud secretly checks the IP address of this person against all char IPaddresses)

(0)
Unfortunately your IP address matches one of our current players and we can therefor not validate your request to be known as a new player. If you feel this is an error and would still like to proceed, please email the Admins with your concerns at: admin@sojourn3.org
Character generation will now continue.

Damn, and here I am, a n00b who rolled a ranger five minutes ago and thought better of it. Now I want an enchanter but since I have a ranger I'm not a n00b. Too bad for me I guess...

Just so you know, I rolled a duergar rogue, a drow invoker, a human enchanter and a halfling bard my first day here, and in that order. Imagine how much help I wouldn't have gotten on that day if Birile didn't have a n00b flag if such were implemented. And all because my feeling out different characters interfered with policing a policy that was supposed to HELP n00bs.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:20 pm

Hey Birile, got any IDEAS or just gonna poke holes and be cynical about mine? :roll:

Just curious n stuff.

Somehow I feel any regular player who abuses this sytem will definitely carry a rep with them they don't want. I've personally never fell victim to an alt pretending to be a newbie to get eq before. It's pretty easy to spot a true newbie compared to a twyink.

Yes Gurns, I do think the admins would have to monitor this a little. That's a given. :shock:

-LL
Last edited by Llaaldara on Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:24 pm

Well... theres nothing to stop the mud from checking the levels of the characters with the same IP addresses too. Same IP, all <lvl 10 and they're a noob. (for example)

And yea... some people will try and abuse it... what can ya do? *shrug* I think it'll help some of the true noobs out there though.

Oh and Birile, if you're talking about a certain 8th lvl ranger asking ppl for eq, he's been harshly punished along with the char he was putting all the good eq onto. They don't all slip through the cracks, all it took was a petition or three :P
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:56 pm

When does one stop being a noob? At level 10? 20? 30? 40? I remember way back in previous incarnations of sojourn where I got up to level 46 and still had no clue.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:23 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Hey Birile, got any IDEAS or just gonna poke holes and be cynical about mine? :roll:

I've expressed several of my own ideas here! I like poking holes, too. That doesn't make me cynical, just pointing out some possible problems. Not saying I think your idea is bad, just not perfect. I fully expect my views to be pigeon-holed if I express them, I rather enjoy the dialogue and debate it causes, that's all!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:50 pm

The real problem is that 50% of 40+ players will immediately need to be given the newbie flag if this is implemented.

OMG indirect flame at almost everyone! 1 point for meh!
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:57 pm

Birile (Major n00b Flag).

:oops:
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:06 pm

Birile wrote:Just so you know, I rolled a duergar rogue, a drow invoker, a human enchanter and a halfling bard my first day here

And you stuck with the halfling bard? *boggle*
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:46 am

thanuk wrote:The real problem is that 50% of 40+ players will immediately need to be given the newbie flag if this is implemented.

Flaming yourself negates any points.

Twinshadow
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
kanenan
Sojourner

Postby kanenan » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:02 am

hmmm.
the way i see things, through my distorted nooblet eyes...

nOOb flag = nevergunnaZONE flag.

i think we have already acheieved that.

and then when nOObs like us try to lead, we are bombarded with hurry tha faq up tells and such. and then the group abandons ye.

but i see this as great way to defeat the mighty twinkasaur.

lates
stuff.
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:02 am

That is 2 points for Thanuk, not 1.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:00 am

thanuk wrote:The real problem is that 50% of 40+ players will immediately need to be given the newbie flag if this is implemented.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
thats funny as shit

g
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:36 pm

Theres a difference between being a n00b, and a zone n00b. I'd expect the (N) flag would mean people would explain how to get xp in DK or near TP, what your character can do, how to cast spells etc etc.

If you're level 40 you already know that. You might not have a clue what to do in a zone, but thats more a matter of talking to your friends.

Dug/Touk
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 pm

who n00bflagged
tell all.n00b 'want to zone?'

I am in approval of this idea. 8)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:43 pm

kanenan wrote:hmmm.
the way i see things, through my distorted nooblet eyes...

nOOb flag = nevergunnaZONE flag.

i think we have already acheieved that.

and then when nOObs like us try to lead, we are bombarded with hurry tha faq up tells and such. and then the group abandons ye.

but i see this as great way to defeat the mighty twinkasaur.

lates

I often find myself taking people on their very first zoning experience. I actually prefer total zoning noobs at points. They tend to talk a lot less, pay far more attention, don't go afk, and do their job when I tell em what it is. Did I also mention that zoning noobs never try and act like they are suddenly the leader? :roll:

-LL
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:47 pm

I do have to admit that's my vice - since I normally lead, I'm often found giving or suggesting orders even when others are leading :/
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
kanenan
Sojourner

Postby kanenan » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:54 pm

moritheil wrote:who n00bflagged
tell all.n00b 'want to zone?'

I am in approval of this idea. 8)

BWAHAHAHA!!!
in this unique case, protect the lives of nOObs everywhere against mori tells!!! give them a (N*!Mori) flag!!

hehe..
stuff.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:59 am

Ambar -= Oober Noob =- stands here.

I readily admit to being a noob!! (But I am learning .. be VERY afraid!!)

I love the idea! And Llaal is right people will be readily identified (as they are now) as worth it or not ...
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:49 pm

But really, ask yourself what do we have to loose? :roll:

So some !noob pretends to be one. What's the worst that could happen? You actually spend time getting to know someone a little better that might have hated your guts and now sees a different side of you?

So what if you loose some useless eq that's just taking up space in your bag anyways. Big woop. :P

I think the possible good outweights the possible bad in this case. :shock:

-LL

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”