Another idea for prestige

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
rylan
Sojourner

Another idea for prestige

Postby rylan » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:16 pm

How about at level 50 you can trade in some prestige to permanently increase a stat. Impose some limitations, such as you can only increase stats that are naturally under 85. So say maybe something like 1 stat point for every 500 prestige. If you've got a crappy 60 agi, you can train at your guild master and swap in 2500 prestige to get it raised to 65. Or have it on a sliding scale so lower stats require less prestige to increase.
Gavry
Sojourner

Postby Gavry » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:06 am

I like the idea.

As long as you can never increase a stat above say 85 in that manner I think its a great idea.

Gavry - Wants To get Smart - Excidium Umbra
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:58 am

I personally dont think prestige is indicative of anything whatsoever when you consider the fact that you accumulate most of it merely by leveling. Unless they fix that little problem I would be disapointed to see it used as the basis for any type of reward.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:01 pm

I got a large chunk of my prestige from god run events actually ;)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:20 pm

Ahh,

so people who are high level and favored by the gods get all the rewards.. I see :)

j/k, I think thats great. Ideally, all of it would come from god quests and from killing big mobs. I dont understand why you gain prestige at all from leveling. Unless being the master of DS or Smoke plane or ship is supposed to be impressive.

Out of curiosity, Rylan, would you be able to guess at what percentage each factor contributed to your overall prestige? I have 6741 prestige at level 48. I havent been lucky enough to be chosen for many god run quests, but I'd say ive probably accumulated about 300 prestige from tokens. I'd say I probably also received a few hundred from big mobs. Lets say 500 for arguments sake. That would put me at around 5900 prestige from exp, and 800 or so from actual experiences.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:39 pm

I think prestige from leveling is supposed to reflect the notoriety you gain from becoming more powerful. Great warriors, mages and priests who command great power aren't supposed to spring from the woodwork overnight, so prestige is a way of recognizing your fame within the culture as you grow in the mastery of your skills. I've always seen it as a way of measuring how widely your name would be whispered, whether in dread, reverence or awe, or even as an epithet. How well known you are with your skills would affect your ability to command armies, inspire fear in your enemies, and bring adoration or hatred from the masses.

A level one warrior might be able to rescue a kitten from a goblin in a tree and become the local hero for a day, but a warrior who has slain a thousand enemies would surely gain more notoriety across the lands. To gain even greater prestige, however, should require deeds which have a greater impact on the region - those heroic or dastardly deeds which could become legends.

Because we play in a text based fantasy game it's not exactly easy to tie all that into the code, so it seems to make sense that those with greater levels of skill (levels) would gain greater amounts of prestige, and that even greater amounts of prestige would be awarded for the roleplay of playing a part in legendary events.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:18 pm

You almost make it sound, Ashiwi, like there is something impressive about being able to get to a high level... almost. I've known people who have rolled alts and gotten them to level 50 in only a few pdays. Should these alts, with no god quests or zones under their belt, have higher prestige than my character? I've killed every big mob on the mud this wipe including tiamat, yet I should be less prestigious than someone's 3 day old alt? Maybe prestige should take into account level. However, I would submit that the balance between level prestige and god quest/big mob prestige is way way out of wack. If rewards are given out at some point based upon prestige as its currently formulated, I would consider it insulting...

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:56 pm

Hrm.. maybe have prestige also based somehow on ptime? You could still cheese it by being idle all the time, but it would actually require months or years of effort hten instead of a week to get to 50.

As to your question corth, my prestige is 8689. Probably 2000 from the tokens from some invasions and stuff, and lets also say 500 from big mobs. In any case, you are correct about the majority of it being from getting to level 50. However, you also get 1 prestige for every 'notch' once hit 50.9, and most of that comes from zoning xp... at least I would think so, I don't know many people who do tons of xp at that point. Shrug, just trying to think of something cool to do with it :)
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:13 am

:shock: I love this idea!

MMmm raise Llaaldara's str from 60 to 85. Ooo that'd help a ton! :wink:

MmmmmmMMmMMmM MMMMMMMMM!!!!! Raise Sesexe's con from 50 to 85?? Omg! Omg! Omg! Omg! Gimmie! Gimmie! Gimmie! :shock: :twisted: :shock:

Please put some form of this in!! I was hoping to get god quested to raise one of my characters gawdAWFUL stats, but don't think that's gonna happen. :cry:

-LL
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:37 am

Corth wrote:You almost make it sound, Ashiwi, like there is something impressive about being able to get to a high level... almost.

In real life I don't think there's anything that impressive about getting level 50 (except I can't do it with an alt, I get so sick of experiencing them after 20). In the fantasy world of this game, however, being level 50 is supposed to reflect the best of each class of hero. For that reason alone I would still think there should be a fair bit of prestige earned for each level in a roleplay atmosphere. A level one warrior can rescue a kitten from a goblin in a tree and be the town's hero today, but tomorrow he might be yesterday's news. A warrior who has slain thousands of his enemies is going to garner a lot more notoriety though.

I'm not saying the system isn't flawed. I have tons of prestige, and I'm pretty sure that's because I earn tons of experience. In a game where roleplay achievements are difficult to measure by a machine, however, there has to be something which calculates the reward for the general player, if all players are going to be included instead of just the ones "chosen" by the staff. Personally I would rather see gamewide prestige calculated off of learned skills, with set amounts gained at mastery of the skill, each class having its own prestige table to account for number of skills available to that class, along with set amounts for each level. This would give everybody the opportunity to earn the same amount of prestige at level 50, once their skills are mastered, and would reflect at least some effort put into learning the class. On top of that there should be an additional amount of prestige earned for defeating enemies of "epic" proportions - dragons, beholders and the like, along with epic characters (like giving a hefty prestige bonus to evilrace PC's who slay Piergeiron).

As for rewards ... I highly doubt the staff will be awarding any statted items for prestige any time soon. A surtur crown is a surtur crown is a surtur crown, and while we all want something nobody else has, without the aspect of roleplay supporting it there's really not much reason to pass out restrings. There are all kinds of players in this game, people who play for the status and equipment, people who play for the socialization, people who play because they want to envision themselves as heroes in a fantasy world. It's just a guess, but it seems to me that if the owners of this game once insisted on an enforced roleplay environment then there are good odds it's because they envisioned a fully immersive roleplay experience and set out to create it because that's what they desired out of the game. If they have moved from heavyhanding the option of roleplay to leaving the option to the player and rewarding roleplay instead, then I can't help but see it as a positive move for the players.

Yes, the general system of prestige earning could probably use a lookover, but I really don't see much of a need for prestige for non RP players. If a power player enjoys zoning more than anything then the rewards will be found in the effort put out to finish a zone. If you prefer a roleplay environment, however, and give up zoning to spend hours following the whim of a staff run quest with no tangible reward, then those rewards should take the form of character enhancement tools. What Corth is wearing on his head will always hold greater value within the game than a restrung golden circlet, but that restring holds a greater value to somebody who is actively working an enhancing a character's persona through roleplay (and for those who always seem to have to nitpick at the little points, I did NOT just say that roleplay can't be done without restrings).
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:17 am

I see...

So people who spend hundreds of mindless hours in the exp zones and get to level 50+ are now superior rp'ers and thats why they deserve the additional prestige and should be -rewarded- with increased stats, restrings, or whatever eventually? Is it simply because there "has to be something which calculates the reward for the general player" and you can't think of anything that would work better, or do you actually believe that whole rp justification? :)

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:59 pm

8)

Corth is just bitter that he can't get level 50.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:23 pm

Nah, Yayaril, 50 would do nothing for me here. Its the level 50 + 9 rogues with the easy exp tables that are the ones with the 10k+ prestige. Not many mages are going to be so far past 50.99 that it makes much of a difference.

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:50 pm

I'm pretty sure I tried to suggest something which would give equal prestige to everybody across the board for reaching level 50 and having maxed skills, along with bonus prestige for the power players, level unimportant, in the form of defeating "epic" monsters. Maybe not the best, but it was there. I also agreed that the present system seems flawed and could use a lookover.

Nicely subtle potshot and obligatory smiley face, though. :wink:
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:44 pm

Laugh Ashiwi

Corth :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:31 pm

8)

Level 50 would do something for you- it would let you cast several more 10th circle spells and a couple lower circle ones, as well as give you faster mem times, better resistance versus spells and the ability to dodge mobs easier. So, why haven't you gotten 50 yet =9
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:19 pm

Its kind of like having one hand tied behind your back to keep things fair...

Corth :) (obligatory smiley)

Goddamned slippery mage.
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:20 pm

Nothing wrong with the current system, just have to alter rewards to reflect classes.. IE would cost rogues 10k prestige for the same thing that would cost a mage 7k
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:53 pm

A good start to a prestige point allocation revamp, Ashiwi, but still not flawless (I know you know this :) ). Basing it on "mastery" of a skill seems a little unfair for those classes with skills (cough: bard) who have a heck of a lot of skills they can't "master." Unless you mean that when I get my hide to 30 it means I've mastered it :)

Not to mention, most if not all classes who can cast spells have silly skills they don't use (I will never notch spellcast healing no matter how hard I try!). If they're forced to master those types of skills (ie. if those skills are factored into their "prestige tables") then they will always be at a disadvantage in this area.

Hmm, I think that's all I can think of at the moment. :)

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”