tanking

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

tanking

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:27 pm

Can we reorder the tanking code back to the way it was before, but with keeping the partial blocking?

So instead of checking if an attack goes through your armor (AC) first, then seeing if you defend the attack (which doesn't make sense to begin with). Checking if your defend the attack with partial blocks, then seeing if it goes through the armor.

This will address the problem with lower level characters not notching their defensive skills as well as improve the duration of illusionist displace (which is currently being chipped with every attack, not as before it was chipped by only attacks that go past your defensive skills).

Finally, it would make critical hits guaranteed, as they were before, as opposed to being defendable.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:35 pm

If thing swere done that way your defenses would be chewedd through like a hot knife throug butter. Don't forget that each attempt to block an attack lessens the chances of blocking the rest of the attacks in a round. So if you attempt to block _every_ attack, instead of jusst the ones going through your AC you'll lose your defenses much, much faster.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:50 pm

Then, why not in addition, modify defense.

Make tanking multiple mobs the factor that decreases skill efficiency rather than only considering the shear number of attacks per round. It would make more sense that keeping track of 2 mobs that attack slowly be more difficult than keeping track of 1 mob that attacks quickly.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:39 pm

Weren't these issues improved as listed in the news in the mud?
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:43 pm

oh i havent logged on and tested these new changes yet... :oops:
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:34 pm

Most if not all of these issues addressed with the last batch of updates...check it out. :)
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:38 pm

You rule shev:)
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:43 pm

Hey Shev, you forgot one issue.. clerics still don't have a limited defense skill!

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”