new command - ALTLINK!!!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Glarec
Sojourner

new command - ALTLINK!!!

Postby Glarec » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:40 am

that's right folks.. this command will act as a database for people who desires to let others know who their alts are.

i imagine it will be something like this:

ALTLINK create - this will create a linklist with the creator as the first on the list.

ALTLINK add (name) (password) - this adds a name to the list with pw to make sure the name is legit.

ALTLINK del (name) (password) - this deletes a name from the list

ALTLINK list (name) - this will traverse the list of linklists to match a name and list all the alts.

with the outburst of alts in the game.. i bet alot of us will find this useful :)

the command should be pretty easy to implement.. the hardest part i guess would be the efficiency of the list command. i flunked CS so don't ask me moan

constructive comments are welcome :)
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:49 am

I like it. Just make sure there's an acc option for the alts.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:58 am

Anyone else find it hilarious that this is Glarec's post? :)

T
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:16 am

Tasan wrote:Anyone else find it hilarious that this is Glarec's post? :)

T

That was a given though Twyl. We all knew it was funny, only a dip like you had to point it out!
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:48 pm

8)

Normally an annoying ranger and ooc buffoon, Twyl can rush to the BBS and transform into his action packed superhero alter ego: CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:46 pm

MOAN

Tasan wrote:Anyone else find it hilarious that this is Glarec's post? :)

T
muma
Sojourner

hehe!

Postby muma » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:20 am

heh, the command i use to let people know who my alts are is: tog ooc
(course i really don't toggle it off often)
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:09 pm

I can see it now......

altlink list ******
billy the ranger
bob the necro
bo the paladin
Bobo the clown

You tell Bobo 'dude, log on yer damn enchanter, we can't zone without you :P'
Bobo tells you 'mutter.'
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:33 pm

the list is manually added/deleted by the owner.. hence u can take the name(s) out if u don't want people to bother u.

Galkar wrote:I can see it now......

altlink list ******
billy the ranger
bob the necro
bo the paladin
Bobo the clown

You tell Bobo 'dude, log on yer damn enchanter, we can't zone without you :P'
Bobo tells you 'mutter.'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:36 pm

No bonus points for guessing my alt. :D
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:19 am

One potential problem I see here is a person adding an Alt to there list that is NOT their char.
It is easy enough to verify that a char exist by that name, but to verify that the char is in fact yours is not a simple step.
It is doable but the efficientcy required for it makes it unworthy.

The alternative is god intervention to maintain the list, this is a costly option for gods to deal with.

There is always the possible solution of making it a rule if you abuse it you lose it. That would curtail abuse.

So this leaves the one last issue, is it overall easy to code? Most of it yes would be simple, however the linked list attached to the char file becomes somewhat of a pain mostly in storage. Would take much work.

Simpler alternatives might be better.
Perhaps it isn't stored on the char at all, but maintained as a seperate database, still it requires a good deal of work.

Right now I'm very busy with RL, or I'd take a stab at it.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:25 am

Azuth wrote:One potential problem I see here is a person adding an Alt to there list that is NOT their char.
It is easy enough to verify that a char exist by that name, but to verify that the char is in fact yours is not a simple step.

This is not a potential problem. I believe glarec said that you would need the character's password in order to add the alt. If people are stupid enough to put on a char that isn't their own get Kia to punish them. This is what admin should be doing but it happens (w/out punishment).
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:37 am

adding names to the list requires verification similar if not the same as the storage access code. so it'll be something like altlink add (name) (password).

as i remember from my cs years.. i guess another way to implement it would be creating just 1 linklist and all the names would go into that list.. with pointers connecting all the links. and i guess the linklist can be inserted alphabetically to make search more efficient. well i guess that's why i am not in cs anymore but oh well! :P

i don't see why u need to attach the linklist to char file. it's totally separate.

thanks for the reply though :)

Azuth wrote:One potential problem I see here is a person adding an Alt to there list that is NOT their char.

The alternative is god intervention to maintain the list, this is a costly option for gods to deal with.

There is always the possible solution of making it a rule if you abuse it you lose it. That would curtail abuse.

So this leaves the one last issue, is it overall easy to code? Most of it yes would be simple, however the linked list attached to the char file becomes somewhat of a pain mostly in storage. Would take much work.

Simpler alternatives might be better.
Perhaps it isn't stored on the char at all, but maintained as a seperate database, still it requires a good deal of work.

Right now I'm very busy with RL, or I'd take a stab at it.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”