Bash and dodge

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Bash and dodge

Postby Abbayarra » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:02 am

Just trolling the boards and thought, the problem with some skills like shieldpunch and bash is that if the skill lands the special effect never fails. It is just uncool. The solution I feel would bring balance to the situation is make Kick/Shieldpunch/Bash/Charge/etc. be matched against the dodge skill of who you are attacking. If the offensive skill is successful it does the damage then it is checked against dodge, if the dodge is successful then the special effect is negated. Put this in as a knob. Then tweak until you are happy with the affect.
This could fix some problems like self ko from headbutt. If you roll a successful headbutt you do the damage and get the ko if you roll another successfull headbutt unless the mob rolls a successful dodge. If you miss the headbutt, you end up flat on your face.
Kick is just the same, if you hit the kick you get the damage. You then roll kick again to see if you get the critical kick, then the mob rolls a dodge save to see if the mob/player avoids the special effect.
Just a thought and open to discussion.
Abby
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:21 pm

Couldn't agree more. Seems that high level mobs rarely miss bash on warriors even... and all things considered.. thats just a bit too much. Shieldpunch and kick should be dodgeable as well.
Asup
Sojourner

Postby Asup » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:54 pm

I really dont understand what your saying. But I will comment on how I took this post.

You say that bash and shieldpunch special affects always happen..With bash it already has different affects, it can send your target flat on their back, just knock them down to a kneelin position. You can stun your opponent with bash also but even as an ogre I see this as a rare effect, and if you miss bash altogether it sends you down to a sit/kneel/recl position as well..

Shieldpunch I havent mastered the skill yet but a good majority of the time it does stun but that is the purpose of this skill, I mean really if someone ran up to you and just creamed you in the face with a shield im pretty sure you would be stunned to =P

Kick in my opinion is about useless, it does extra damage and from what I hear unless your an orc a crit kick is bout as rare as bash stun.

In my 2 cents bout charge is that it should probably have a special effect to an extent of a trample that would deal slightly more damage.

But checkin everything against the dodge skill would only hurt ogres and other races with low dex/agi even MORE against there current problems with agility. So you would only be makin me even more worthless of a tank.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”