ele + enchanter = ele who can zone

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
irta
Sojourner

ele + enchanter = ele who can zone

Postby irta » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:55 pm

I've been thinking alot about what is necessary to make elementalists a more well rounded class (now we are very decent soloers and largely irrelevant in zones). Basically my solution is to give dragonscales to elementalists, which naturally enchanters won't be thrilled with to put it mildly). I think that it will be necessary to convert all existing chanters to elementalists.

Flame retardant suit on.

Irta
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:08 pm

8)

You've been thinking a lot and you only came up with 'elementalists are decent soloers'? Go back to thinking, more.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:36 am

Irta, I will agree on giving scales to mentalists if they lose stone, embody, and blind. Mentalists are actually fairly well rounded. They don't own zones, but they're awesome to have around. Trust me, I'm a war and I love embodiement and wards and they tend to land blinds/para really well. Mentalists are awesome. If anything, they're over powered. As for being well rounded. They make pets, they blind, they stone, they vit, they heal (ghetto heal), Jebus, what else do you want? Give mentalists bash? I mean, I understand wanting to make a class better, but seriously, mentalists are fine.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:50 am

Ok, elementalists skills and why I'm enjoying playing them........

1)Elementalists can bash with Ice Layer (backup to warrior and some things they can't).
2)We can silence with ice tongue (as good as a cleric/druid).
3)We can embody (Unique and worth a zone spot given some are semi-wraithform for those leading bashes).
4)We can ward (and it beats globe, worth a spot).
5)We can stone (takes some load off chanters stoning casters and good for a pinch).
6)We can haste hitters (load off enchanters and increases damage for the group).
7)We can power word blind (takes load off chanters and uber useful).
8)We can area damage (!feedback for other vokers, druids, etc in group, always nice).
9)We have pets who can rescue decently and be replaced (helps out warriors and can save them in a pinch, compliments spirits nicely, rescues small casters, and a sacrifical tank to let the group run away).
10)We can gate (transport).
11)We can relocate (ghetto welling people around).

Ok, so given all that......Who WOULDN'T want an elementalist in zones and how are we not worth a zone spot again? You have to pay attention when playing them, but when you can do all the above......wow.

My elementalist may not be the best at 75% of what I can do, but any one of those is worth a zone spot and can make the difference between a laughable, fun zoning group and a 3 hour full spank. If anything, they're more powerful than the invokers people whine constantly about and multi-dimensionally skillful to learn and play.

Good opinion Irta, but I totally disagree given what i see in their spell list.
(Edit: No, I'm not being sarcastic which it might be taken as. It's not a bad opinion, I just don't agree with it.)
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:44 am

OMG! I almost had a heart attack Irta =P I'm not sure why you would want to give scales to elementalits, because to me that would make all enchanters obsolete. I don't want to be an elementalist, I prefer the job and the spells of an enchanter.

Perhaps if you could supply some reasons as to why you feel elementalists should get scales, then maybe we can have a discussion on it. As I see it Torkur hit the nail on the head. Elementalists are an extremely useful class. Whenever I'm leading a zone I make sure to grab an elementalist if one is free. Ward is 10x better than globe, and it means that I won't have to swap a dscale out for timestop during spellups, not to mention that it makes scales last forever!

Elementalists are already stepping on enchanters toes as it is (I'm not complaining at all about that either =P). If you were to give elementalists scales, would you then want all chanters to become mentalists? If so, what about spells like blur, blink, prism, mindblank, fumble, stumble, etc.? Would they get ported over to the mentalist class?
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:33 am

Already done clouds, avernus (including gloves fight), and a ton of other stuff with no chanter, just an elementalist. If you think you're irrelevant in a zone you might either consider a new class or learn to play yours. God, the last thing elementalists need is dragonscales.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:05 am

Well put Tanji. Although. unless I am pretending to be a chanter, zoning as an ele sucks. :) But I love the class the way it is. It is quite well rounded, and is in need of no new spells.

Just imagine what some of the more resourceful eles would do if they had scales...haha
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:07 pm

Tanji Smanji wrote:Already done clouds, avernus (including gloves fight), and a ton of other stuff with no chanter, just an elementalist. If you think you're irrelevant in a zone you might either consider a new class or learn to play yours. God, the last thing elementalists need is dragonscales.

Don't forget Musp invasion !enchanter also.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:51 pm

Heh... I really like having elementalists in zones. maybe I'm spoiled..
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:15 pm

I've got to say that I've been loving playing an elementalist since I started mine. I haven't had this much fun with a non-bard class ever. Only a necromancer comes close, in my opinion. Elementalists are extremely well-rounded and can do a lot of utility-type things. Stone, blind, silence, room blind (yes, I like glitterdust, so sue me!), paralyze, haste, vit+benefits, transport, bash, ward, stun... probably missing a few. And the cool thing is that some of these effects come in cool packages--Ice Layer, Glitterdust, Ice Tongue, Earthblood. Not just boring old "silence" or "vitality" (okay, so there's no getting around Power Word Blind/Stun's unimaginative names). Not to mention their damage spells aren't all that bad either. Elementalists aren't supposed to be quite the utility mage class that an Enchanter is, nor are they supposed to be an equal substitute for an Invoker. But they get a very good amount of both worlds, and they get tanks to boot. I really think they're actually one of the classes on the mud that there is little or nothing wrong with them, but then I think the same thing about pretty much all of the mage classes except for Psi (Psi really needs a fix to many of their skills).

That being said, I don't blame Irta for wanting his main class to be better than it already is, it's natural!
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:30 pm

Making the class better is one thing. Making the class into an enchanter is another.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:48 pm

Not many former sorc's who are fans of the enchanter class... *whistle*
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:47 pm

Corth wrote:Not many former sorc's who are fans of the enchanter class... *whistle*

Can say that again. Course the same goes for invokers. spit.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:54 pm

I see that Irta is suffering from a lack of zonage in my absence :(
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:08 pm

Hrm, had noticed a distinct lack of corpse build up and frantic calls for help with cr's over the past week. it all becomes clear now.

Death has been on holliday!
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Sun May 04, 2003 3:42 am

Corth wrote:Not many former sorc's who are fans of the enchanter class... *whistle*

well... personally speaking i loved playing alvathair the sorcerer...and i love playing loshaenar the chanter...the motivation is still there for me...but i can sympathise with all the monks playing vokers these days and how tough life is for them...

anyway..to a serious issue..

irta, i think hun that u need to give some specifics on your class weaknesses or these guys will continue to tear u a new one... basically thusfar we haven't gotten around the notion that mentalmen have incredible soloing capabilities..are a jack of all trades in the spellcasting department, and they can potentially replace chanters in many zones regardless... these are all valid points.. i think in many cases of enchanters as the silent martyrs of zone groups anyway..given the spellloads thrust upon them in some cases... but the moment u give scales to another class it's likely we'd disappear altogether... i'd simply play the ranger,rogue,thief etc and go smoke...

so, in conclusion.. i'd like to hear some specifics from you or other mentalists about real weaknesses in the class..

cheers,
Locky.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”