You stop trying to hide.

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Kribble
Sojourner

You stop trying to hide.

Postby Kribble » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:39 pm

Just wondering, does sneak break hide for some kind of logical reason? Or simply for game balance? It seems to me that hide and sneak, being reasonably unobtrusive, "sneaky" skills should not break one another.

Thoughts?
Friends > All.
-Cap'n Touk
crankhandle
Sojourner

Postby crankhandle » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:34 pm

Agree Kribs!

It also seems to me that if you have the skill to hide from everything but magical detection then you would also *know* that you were hidden or know that you were sneaking. After all if you are smart enough to learn the technique you should be able to tell if its working.

sneak + hide!

Bimble
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:09 pm

I think the sneak+hide combo isn't allowed because of some game balance issues. Basically rogues would be able to go past huge packs of mobs even easier than they can now. I'm sure someone else who knows more about the utility of this can explain it.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:20 pm

As it is now, you can sneak into an aggro zone, assassinate a mob and walk out unharmed if you succeed. If you fail, however, you have to sneak all over again, which means lag time out of hiding. Rogues are already incredibly powerful, that would be obscenely twinky.
Kribble
Sojourner

Postby Kribble » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:24 pm

I definately understand the game balance aspect of that... but I feel like it would make more sense, keep the same balance, and actually make playing more fun to increase the rate at which sneak and hide fail, while allowing rogues to sneak without breaking hide. Just a thought.

Additionally, maybe one could sneak without breaking hide after some kind of waiting period. (Hide for two minutes and then sneak without breaking it. Or perhaps sneak could have a chance to break hide and a chance to work without breaking it, depending on skill level...)

Thoughts?
Friends > All.
-Cap'n Touk
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:53 pm

crankhandle wrote:Agree Kribs!

It also seems to me that if you have the skill to hide from everything but magical detection then you would also *know* that you were hidden or know that you were sneaking. After all if you are smart enough to learn the technique you should be able to tell if its working.

sneak + hide!

Bimble

Hiding/Sneaking isn't the spell Invisibility.

Skills != Spells

Skills have levels of proficiency. Spells do not. (If you say something about specialize enchantment/sorcerous spell knowledge/etc, Chris Tucker says, "I'm gonna slap you!")

You might be able to sneak past your brother at 11pm on a friday night when you were 16, but how many times did mom/dad catch you trying to sneak out the door?

I don't care how they coded it. Don't eat my chicken!

-LL :D

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”