Paladin revision suggestion.

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Karxom
Sojourner

Paladin revision suggestion.

Postby Karxom » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:58 pm

I have just recently come back to Sojourn after a few years of being aways. First thing I did, because monks didnt get put back in :), is make a paladin.

Shortly after this I was told be most players I talked to, not to waste my time playing a paladin. Well that kinda sucks, I thought. Everyone was telling me to play a warrior which are the REAL tanks.

Well after doing some investigation, I found that warriors tank better due to shieldblock, have higher hps and can do more damage. Also, from the number of paladins playing, I think I have seen 5 different ones including myself in the last two weeks, I figured some suggestions for improving the class and making them more playable was in order.

Suggestions:

1) Give paladins either an innate class change or a spell which reduces damage by melee, magic and breath weapons by 33%. If a spell you could call it Holy Aura or something like that. I would either give this as a lvl 1 or a lvl 46 spell/ability depending on testing before implementation. Being holy/unholy crusaders, their mission is to defend the weak and innocent. This combined with their very good rescue capabilities would make them a kind of ultimate tank. I do not feel this would be unbalancing to warriors as warriors still make good tanks, can do more damage and have higher hps. In addition, this would make it a nice thing to have 1 in a group and encourage the use of the class.

2) Increase their parry/dodge ability and innate dex for the class. This would also make them a much better tank, although not as good as the first suggestion, would at least give them a little bit more to make the class more playable.

Anyways, just my two cents.

Karxom AKA Stralm
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:21 pm

Well.... paladins were the premiere tank at the begining of this wipe, but the mud is ever changing. Paladins are still better tanks that warriors in many situations, but most paladins have given up their tanking roles in favor of wearing hit/dam. Embodiment also contributes a warriors status as primary tanks, because Paladins are severly hampered with embodiment. (They cannot be mounted while embodied)

I would love to see the knighthood restored, but the lack of situations where a paladin can be mounted, the difficulty in rejuvenating the aged warriors, and the extremely wide gap between a knight and a warrior's hps make it a difficult thing to concieve. I'm not sure how paladins can be put back on equal footing with warriors without making it too cheesey.

-Llandrien
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:48 am

I think the biggest problem with the class is the difficulty in getting them rejuvenated so they don't lose a lot of hps and regeneration ability after a while.

Btw Paladins with a good 2h sword do more damage than warriors, since they don't need much +hit eq. However due to tanks needing lots and lots of hps, paladins lost out.
karttox
Sojourner

Postby karttox » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:31 pm

Nobody plays a Paladin anymore, just delete the class :P
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Hyldryn

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:45 pm

Zen wrote:I would love to see the knighthood restored, but the lack of situations where a paladin can be mounted, the difficulty in rejuvenating the aged warriors, and the extremely wide gap between a knight and a warrior's hps make it a difficult thing to concieve.

There isnt that big a gap with warrior and paladin hp. I can get my 118 yr old paladin to over 1k hp w/o spells while still using 2h.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:48 pm

Silly.. pallies pwn at tanking, specially with ponies.. And they have spells, avengers, and layhands, and they do more damage. The can wear warrior gear with less hitroll and 2h bonus, course they do more dam.
Zen
Sojourner

Re: Hyldryn

Postby Zen » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:03 pm

Hyldryn wrote:There isnt that big a gap with warrior and paladin hp. I can get my 118 yr old paladin to over 1k hp w/o spells while still using 2h.

I suppose big is relative, especially when talking to a Gnome. To be more specific there is an approximately 200-250 hps gap between a paladin and a barbarian/dwarven warrior. What you do with equipment can compensate for that, but equipment shouldn't be a prominent factor in class balance.

What I want to know is, why does everyone who's posted here saying there's nothing wrong with paladins play a warrior? Hrm?

-Llandrien

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”