Dynamic Exp

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Meltdown
Sojourner

Dynamic Exp

Postby Meltdown » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:27 pm

Alright I know this is moving away from the dungeons & dragons system here, but hear me out anyways. What I'm proposing here is implementing a dynamic exp system which changes the amount of xp you recieve based on a number of factors:
* The length of the fight
* How much % of your hp you lost (to gauge the difficulty of the fight)
* How many spells you used
* How many times you hit in melee
Etc. A similar system has been around for awhile in a mud called Dragons' Star (a kickass but relatively unpopular mud) whose system basically awards xp everytime you hit the mob in melee, midrounds, or by spells based on the difficulty of the mob. A slight xp penalty would have to be imposed for fleeing to balance this system, or a maximum xp cap/scaling system to avoid newbs suiciding on massively difficult mobs in order to gain huge amounts of xp.
-Meltdown/Cerebrum, owner of The Insanity Network
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:02 pm

this would not work very well here for a few reasons first alot of spells can be cast...if this were implemented then i could take a lvl 20 healer and make it lvl 40 but the end of the day on this strategy alone

find a mob that if your tank removes some hit dam and adds some ac they dont really get hurt...get a cleric tank engages the tank can stay engaged for a number of hours while the cleric does nothing more than heal...yes these mobs do exist and its actually not that bad of xp i was makin about 1 notch every half hour using this method course i didnt lvl and this brings a whole new meaning to mindless xp( i was just hitting 2 bottons for like 3 hours) but you get my drift i could plvl a charictor sofast on this theory and it takes away many aspects of the game like learning to play a class or questing or many other things
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”