Upgrade mobs

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Upgrade mobs

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:45 pm

When skills get added/upgraded or slightly tweaked the fights gets slightly easier. Its not much but as more skills come in some zones are becoming really easy. Area makers are combatting this effect by making 5+ hour zones, which turn my brain to slush.

People used to argue that skill improvemens are a double edged sword. That mobs would be benefitting from changes as well. However, this isn't the case. How many times have you seen mobs headbutt since the improvements? Anyway, I think there needs to be routine mob improvements to go with skill/spell upgrades. Examples:

1) Warrior mobs should headbutt now. Or possibly hitall often.

2) Mobs need a bard counterpart (with half decent AI). Sprinkle a couple bards here and there. Throw some area offensive/healing maybe/offensive disruption and jot invasion gatehouses might be pretty deadly once again.

3) Cleric mobs should divine purification para'd mobs. (and silenced mobs if it works on that)

4) Some rogue mobs should be given cheap wires and be able to garrote

Other difficulty improvements I would like to see but don't involve new skills:

A) Dragons get off the couch and back into shape! Those wusses.

B) Better targetting. What's the deal with silencing the tank? It only works to mess up very very very lazy enchanters (do those exist anymore?).

C) More bashes. I really hate getting bashed. Good job mobs, do it more!
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:40 pm

great not only do rangers and rogues hafto deal with eating riposte often now we get hitt all too?

a (mob name) hits you hard
you barely slash (mob name)
you slash (mob name)
a (mob name) deflects you blow and strikes back at you

***welcome to sojourn***
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:59 pm

Mobs already hitall quite a bit. Or try to. We do try to keep them stunned after all. But headbutting would be cool, at least for the mobs of the right size to try it.
asamoth
Sojourner

Postby asamoth » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:36 pm

I can just see it now.

Generic Elf Player nances in from south.
Frost giant - headbutt elf.
You cannot headbutt things that small.
Frost giant says 'WTF!, need upgrade'

Next day.

Generic Elf Player + Anklebiter group enters form south.
Frost giant - proc headbutt group.
Entire Player group gets ko'ed in one round due to proc.
Frost giant says 'Who ho!'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:09 pm

It would be very interesting to see mobs improved, but I'm thinking less about class upgrades and more into racial upgrades.

Like...
Giants - Be nice if giants of a particular height and weight had the ability to 'Thunder Smash' (Earthquake effect) when using a bludgeon weapon. Can you imagine how crazy jot gatehouse would be if those giants had hammers instead of axes? Also levitating and flying players should only suffer half the effects IF they fail save. If save is made, nothing happens.

Dragons -
1) Deafening Roar = players cannot hear communication channels. Yes they can use them, but they can't hear them. Any deafened mages would have a 50/50 (or some such) chance to cast any spells, as they cannot hear wut they are saying. This roar should not be the same thing as the current existing roar in frequencey. Gawd, that would be outa control.
2) Thunder Stomp = being enormous creatures (for the most part) large sized dragons would have the ability to stomp one of their feet and create an earthquake like effect, with about the frequencey of windbuffet. (This would be especially brutal since a dragon could stomp and buffet at the same time.) Also levitating and flying players should only suffer half the effects IF they fail save. If save is made, nothing happens.
3) Tail Sweep = effectively doorbash players into other rooms. (I don't even know if dragons have a tailsweep now or before?)

Liches, Vampires, Deathknights, Oh My! (Greater Undead) -
1) Absorb Undead Minion = a greater undead mob who has undead followers/pets can absorb their life (instant killing them) in order to bring itself back to maximum hitpoints. "Sacrifice yourself to me!" This spell could backfire on player lichs if the player makes their save. This spell wouldn't have much effect on current big undead fights, cuz we clear the pets first anyways. But if people wanted to rush it, it would be a very interesting new battle.
2) Steal Minion = a greater undead mob can attempt to take control of a player Necromancer/Lich's pets. In essence a more powerful form of the current existing Command Undead.
(Imagine if they used both these powers. Stealing your pets and healing themselves!! Eep!)

Trolls -
1) Graft Limb - A troll mob who is injured would have the innate ability to pick one of it's limbs up and re-attatch itself. This would result in the mob being healed of a percentage of hitpoints. "WON'T THESE THINGS EVER DIE??"
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:29 pm

Beholders - Central eye negates incoming magic.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:32 am

good idea this could also pave the way for a new warrior skill if implemented i will post somewhere else as to no to jack the thread . good idea tho
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
omrec
Sojourner

Postby omrec » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:13 pm

I think there are some good ideas here.

For many of us, zones have become too easy, unless the mobs have some good advantages. We need more mob procs that make people in the group work, and work hard, to stay alive. Procs that require most of the people in the group to be paying attention make for a much more exciting experience.

For example, a recently added zone has a mob proc that requires two different classes to help prevent, and 2 other classes to recover from. That means that you always have to have most of the group paying attention, or you get your asses handed to you. So when trying to come up with interesting new mob procs, always think about what the players will need to do to prevent it, and what they need to do to recover from it. The more people involved, the better. Procs that are unpreventable, and unrecoverable, mean that its a crap shoot if you get screwed or not. If I wanted to gamble, I'd go play some tinker slots..:P

-Om
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:31 pm

I agree that mobs need some new tricks up their sleeves. Adding bard mobs, or mobs that are intelligent, like mages that spellup their tank counterparts would be very nice. i've seen this in other places, but for instance, in the gatehouse in jot they could provide a significant increase without much change to the code! (i think...).

The idea of giving dragons new abilities is nice, but they already DO have a tailsweep ability, not to say that it can't be changed, but perhaps taking a deeper look into the mobs and their abilities before making suggestions could be in order. The truth is, dragons just aren't nearly as feared as they used to be. Granted the constant wingbuffet was horribly lame, but they need SOMETHING to make them the awesome being they were meant to be. Even an increase in MR, or increase in hp would be a possible solution! of course those would only extend the fight, not make it more challenging persay...

I like the idea of giving vampires or greater undead or even demons some abilities that also make them a bit more dangerous... in conjunction with this, perhaps a bonus to earned exp and or prestige when fighting these more feared and more powerful creatures.

Anyhow, great idea, lets give those mobs a fighting chance!
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:15 am

The giant says "Who ho?" That's definately a downgrade :wink:
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:40 am

My vote is still on giving demons and devils room darkness proc. Make them priestly types run back and forth to cast continual light without getting engaged :twisted: (well of course you could make continual light castable in combat too but that would reduce fun factor a bit)
8)
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:43 pm

oteb wrote:My vote is still on giving demons and devils room darkness proc. Make them priestly types run back and forth to cast continual light without getting engaged :twisted: (well of course you could make continual light castable in combat too but that would reduce fun factor a bit)
8)

If it will be anything like DK Vault Shadow Dragon proc, then for the love of god(s), no.
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:57 am

Azenilsee wrote:
oteb wrote:My vote is still on giving demons and devils room darkness proc. Make them priestly types run back and forth to cast continual light without getting engaged :twisted: (well of course you could make continual light castable in combat too but that would reduce fun factor a bit)
8)

If it will be anything like DK Vault Shadow Dragon proc, then for the love of god(s), no.

haha oh yes rather, I did that dragon the other day, was mighty fun running back and forth to continual light.

Kinda interesting fight :)

/Colje

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”