Pet Commands

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Pet Commands

Postby Yayaril » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:16 pm

8)

When you command a pet to perform an action that lags the pet, that lag often affects the controller of the pet. For instance, if I order my pet to bash, it causes me to lag 2 rounds. If I order my pet to rescue, I lag for a round. Could this lag possibly be removed? I don't see why one would be lagged by issuing a command.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:18 pm

8)

Oh yeah, make it so you can cast protection from undead on undead targets.
Klandal
Sojourner

Pets

Postby Klandal » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:32 am

If a pet will do any command within its power and just sit there and die for you, you'd also think you could order it to STOP FRICKING KICK LAGGING itself.

I know as a shaman this is incredibly annoying when my spirit is kicking instead of rescuing me or doing something else way more important. Perhaps you could tog a pet's mode as offensive, defensive, or static. Offensive, it would try to do the most dmg, kick, etc. Defensive it would auto-rescue you when switched to, etc. Static it would only do actions when ordered to do them.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:15 pm

tho i have recently become a pet manager (smirk) .. i disagree with this

the ability to make pets is already a HUGE bonus to other mages who have to solo stuff ... hell we can use our pets to cast, tank, bash, rescue ...
petlag is just a side benefit to having an awesome ability

-Your friendly lil elfie ..

-Aerisia Starshadow
Last edited by Ambar on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:15 pm

If a necromancer orders a pet to do something he must speak to the pet. The pet speaks deadish and the human speaks common. The necromancer and the pet must then work together to translate what the necromancer is saying so the pet can understand. If a lich is ordering pets there is a problem because pets speak lower planes undeadish and lichs speak prime plane undeadish (which for some reason is fairly similar to common). They must then work together to understand what the two are saying to eachother and get through the lower plane undeadish thick accent. With all these factors considered, it's amazing you can get them to perform actions at all. I would suggest an international pet management course or degree to speed the process.

Seriously tho, I do see some balance issues if we took the command lag out for spells. Maybe it would be okay if we took it out for rescue tho. The pet may not know exactly what you want it to cast, but it can see your in danger. I also remember reading somewhere that undead are linked to their masters through telepathy. If that's true then I could see a real focusing of the mind in order to get the pet to do what you want and this creates the lag. It could be argued that the pet knows your in danger and so the rescue command should be !lag (hey, they rescue on their own sometimes). It does suck that if they miss rescue you get nailed hard, but that's every class. Not sure what to think here except things are probably okay the way they are (not that I wouldn't like them changed).
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:46 pm

Never understood that either. If the pet suffers equal lag for doing a skill that a player does, why does the master lag? (Slightly sarcastic here) Should we make group leaders lag everytime they gsay 'tank <dir>' ? Or how about everytime someone asks for a rescue, should they lag? Or calling for a full heal. They should definitely lag. (sarcasm off)

So a pet controller has to fight the lag of ordering, plus the lag of the pet doing the action, plus the lag of the pet doing an action they weren't told to do just to get them to do that lagged command? Sounds like a lot of lag to me.

I don't see how any pet classes are going to suddenly unbalance all because they don't have order lag anymore. Their pets will still lag from doing or attempting the actions they were ordered to do. So they necro/lich/shaman/elementalist doesn't lag for 1-2 rounds now from ordering pets to kick/bash/rescue/what have you, well they might actually get a spell off before the mob switches on them and forcing them to flee. Right? Might actually make that insane switch off pets to master ratio tolerable.

Chalk me down for having it removed. Good catch Yayaril.

-Caedym Shadowhock.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:53 pm

8)

I just want to have my pet bash the mob and then nuke it. As it stands, I can have the pet bash the mob and then I just stand there like an idiot. I can order my pet to recite the entire Gettysburg address and it'll do it without any lag, so, what makes ordering the pet to kick make me lag so badly?

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”