Casting classes

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Casting classes

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 29, 2001 11:28 pm

I know there's talk about implementing an illusionist class... but what about instead of doing that having just the mage like in AD&D, but allow them to choose all the specializations. Instead of an actual necro class you'd choose mage then declare a necromancy specialization, same thing with invokers and enchanters... illusionsits, conjurers... blah blah blah.

Would need to code the different spells and such from each specialization... but could be cool... *shrug* Always thought AD&D's spell system was pretty well thought out... cept for the fact that I saw no point in being anything but a mage since a mage could learn all spells. But in sojourn you just don't allow a basic mage class and it works out fine.

Sarvis
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jan 30, 2001 12:13 am

Well. That was how I originally set out to do the caster changes. Then I got to thinking..

What's the difference really, between one mage class that can spec in five different kinds of magic, and five mage classes that automatically spec their chosen kind of magic?

The former is hard as hell to balance - look at the exp discrepancies between invokers and enchanters, for instance. From a coding standpoint, it would have been far more difficult to correct those problems if they were all in one class.

Plus, you get your chosen specialization type next to your name, so everyone knows exactly what you do. Can you imagine every mage gettings tells like "Hey, what spec are you? Oh, you're a necro? nevermind, go away."

So, in essence, we do have several types of mage specializations - you just choose them upfront to simplify things.

Does that make sense?

-- Shevy
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Tue Jan 30, 2001 2:31 am

So if I read that right enchanters will definately get a leg up this time :)

Gindipple
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Tue Jan 30, 2001 4:27 am

I was thinking about that as well. It would be cool to be able to select spells from a huge pool of spells, but the balancing aspect would be a nightmare. I think that the mage classes are wonderful as is and I especially like the specialization spellcast skills. I miss those so much!!!

Nizrath
Kailam
Sojourner

Postby Kailam » Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:04 am

Not exact the topic...
Let the caster to memorize low circle spells direct from the guildmaster. So you can minor book/quill and scribe up all that you can. Much easier for low/mid levels to do corpse retrieval, etc.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Jan 30, 2001 2:31 pm

Isn't that how it has always worked? Scribe at your guildmaster?
Kailam
Sojourner

Postby Kailam » Tue Jan 30, 2001 3:54 pm

except you dont have book neither quill, food, water... :) and when you're a priest you just sit down and pray.

K.
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Tue Jan 30, 2001 4:30 pm

Hrmmm, I thought it was fairly standard practice to keep another set of spellbooks handy, either on storage, or with a friend. I know if I was a caster, and my spellbooks were my life, I'd want a set hidden somewhere really safe away from nasty things like dragon fire and mean giants :)

Harthorm/Twiblin
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Tue Jan 30, 2001 5:30 pm

Bah, you could always go buy spellbooks from a magic shop and just go scribe them from the guildmaster. I never got high enough to get the quest spells, but from what I've heard, you already can memorize them without a book. So, really, what's the point of backup? From a RP standpoint, backup chars are silly. Instead, maybe we should have a storage box in the bank? That would be cool!

Nizrath
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Jan 30, 2001 7:20 pm

High level spells cost a lot to scribe, and it takes a long time... that is a big reason to keep a backup set of spellbooks for CRs... make that 2 sets... no 3.. wait 4.. you get the idea ;)

Cherzra Eat Slime
Somerled
Sojourner

Postby Somerled » Wed Jan 31, 2001 2:55 am

Nicely put Shev ... I agree ... the AD&D system doesnt really tend to give specialization casters a whole lot of advantage ... just a few more spells per level ... but no new or different spells ... I like the idea of certain spells only available to certain types of casters .. allows for more variety

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”