Casting Times

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Casting Times

Postby Ilshadrial » Tue Jan 30, 2001 12:14 pm

So...

Are you going to be putting back in the 30 second mem prep time?

Or will I get to have my 2 second mem full heals this time :)

I think for balance it prob should be looked at :)

Ilshad
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:53 pm

You're so subtle, Ilsha ;)

We addressed this before Soj2 shut down. The 30 second mem penalty was deemed to be too unfair and restricting across the board, so we eliminated it. Later on, when the MUD had matured a bit, it become apparent that the loss of this restriction combined with the new emphasis on casting classes had created a balance problem. To correct this, and avoid the problems of the previous 30 second penalty, we added an extra few seconds to high circle spells' mem time.

It is possible that the extra time modifiers need to be tweaked a bit, and we will do so in Alpha if this proves true.

However, I highly doubt we will go back to the blanket 30-second penalty, as adjusting each circle is a far more efficient manner in which to correct this problem.

Thank you, please drive through.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Wed Jan 31, 2001 2:47 am

I was wondering, Shevarash, if we increased the effectiveness of spells but also made the mem times longer, would that balance out a bit? I would rather see mages duke it out the whole fight, rather then nuke, retreat, mem, assist, repeat. What do you think about that?

Nizrath
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jan 31, 2001 4:46 am

Hmm, there weren't many zone-level fights I saw in Soj2 where the invokers had to re-mem during battle - and the times that they did was because they were generally following a non-casting leader that didn't like to stop for mems. Meaning the vokers had had to spread their spells out over several fights and had finally run out.

At lower levels it is a bit different, yes..but with 2-3 different offensive spells in every circle, high level invokers pack alot of nuking power, so I'm not sure there effectivenesss needs any upgrading. It might be the opposite, actually.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jan 31, 2001 10:55 am

I remember that change.. Changed my dragonscales from 7 seconds to 10.. I felt like an ogre :(

/Jegzed
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Jan 31, 2001 12:22 pm

Oh you guys added seconds? Heh, never noticed, i still memed my dooms back in like 5 seconds...

3 seconds mean nothing...and I never thought there was balance last wipe with invokers, ect...

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”