Mob switches target!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.

Mob switches target!

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 27, 2001 12:35 am

Here is a request. I'm not sure if it has been asked before.

How about when a mob switches targets we see the name of the new tank. Instead of seeing "Malice switches target" we see Malice switches to (insert fodder's name here). I don't know how doable this is?

Any thoughts?

Rho
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Jan 27, 2001 12:46 am

I would be very very easy to add, but I think there is a specific reason for it being the way it is: action.

It is no fun if the new target is mentioned, anyone can capture that word in Zmud and fire an autorescue trigger. Hardly anyone would ever be hit and that would take the fun out of the game. It would be too easy and convenient, let the rescuers earn their keep by having to pay attention constantly instead of free-wheeling through a zone.

Cherzra Eat Slime

p.s. I really really would hate it if this was implemented
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:02 am

Hmmmmm, Cherzra has a good point there. It would probably be best to leave it.

Besides, the those rattling death crys are a pretty good indicator of which weakling caster got switched to. ;)

-- Shevy

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 27, 2001 2:04 am

Well Shevy,

When you put it that way. Nothing like death spam in the heavens! That was a good point too Chez. Must have action or HPS!

Rho
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Sat Jan 27, 2001 11:15 am

Bwah!!!
Make Zmud react anyway :)
ok u'll be one line later, But Even a halfling sorc survive one attack by Rhemoraz, unless they eat him : )

- bibbe <font color="brown">Halfling</font>
Klurg
Sojourner

Postby Klurg » Sun Jan 28, 2001 3:05 am

Umm I always use the #forall command in my zmud rescue trigger on switches the only thing is that it spams a little more thats all :) Don't really care what you do to it but if a mob switched target and you notice it how on earth can u miss to see what he switches to?

/Klurg Split Skull
Klurg
Sojourner

Postby Klurg » Sun Jan 28, 2001 4:27 am

Hmm actually should add some lag to rescue attempts on characters not tanking aswell.
Not fun when a spammy asshole (read Dem :P)
beats you on rescues by just spamming them out.

/Klurg Split Skull
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Sun Jan 28, 2001 8:24 am

[5] Corpse of Jenera is lying here.

*was usually the weakling caster that saw "Welcome to Sojourn" alot*

hehehe
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Sun Jan 28, 2001 10:47 am

I always lived....
'caus ei had Klurg sitting on the puter next to me and if i was tank more than 1 second i slapped him as hard as i could in the backhead screaming I AM DYING I AM DYING!

- bibbe : )

all of u tanks are our marionettes : )
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Mon Jan 29, 2001 4:51 pm

All you have to do for your triggers is hit a #CR whenever you see a mob switch. If you have "displayall" togged, you can see the tank condition anyways. So the instant rescues are still going to happen with a client.

The only time seeing who a mob switched too would help is in big fights like Jot where you have a lot of mobs switching.

I can see where you might want this to stay in, for purposes of making the mud challanging. But why show the text at all then? I assume it's because you can tell the mob is stopping beating on one person in order to beat on another person. You'd think you could tell who it was looking to smite next.

But then again, it's just a game. If you really wanted to make it harder for client-users/alias-spammers then don't have the combat code tell anyone when a mob switches.

Hey, that reminds me, wasn't the whole combat system revamped anyway? This whole point could be moot!

Tom
Jaeb
Grimulk
Brom
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Feb 01, 2001 10:45 pm

Eh, that makes no sense to remove the fact that a mob switches. In the heat of combat there could be many reasons you would know that a mob switched, but not know to whom it is now attacking.

Say we're in the middle of the 2nd gatehouse in Jot. Well, I all of a sudden here a voice shout, "help" or whatever, I may not know right away who said it, but I'd know what direction to then give my attention. . .

Make sense?

Also, if I am attacking or tanking 2.guard and 3.guard switches, I don't see the new tank with display all, I see the mob I am attacking . . .

Just my thoughts. :)

Jurdex

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”