Mob AI?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Klurg
Sojourner

Mob AI?

Postby Klurg » Thu Feb 01, 2001 9:07 pm

Will the mob AI be upgraded in any way?
I feel like it really matter on a !pkill mud.
Since mobs are predictable and humans sometimes aren't :) I would like to see features along the lines of mobs going to sleep at night, heading to their store/bank at day. Just add a sense of realism to zones instead of those totally boring just standing in one room getting killed over and over. I think ALOT can be done in this area of a mud havent seen any mud even trying to accomplish a sense of realism this way.
Just wondering.....

/Klurg Split Skull
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Feb 01, 2001 10:30 pm

Have you been playing Shenmue? ;)

Mob AI is being worked on, you'll see some significant improvements.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Feb 02, 2001 5:21 am

This is more of an implementation suggestion than anything:

You might consider using solid states: each mob has different `states' that it might be in. Such as a talking state or a fighting state and then that can vary with the mob, along with the decider function. This way a mob could have a complicated interaction function or a completely unique style of fighting.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Feb 02, 2001 7:04 am

Klurg I love the idea and agree it is boring seeing the same mobs over and over doing the same thing (standing there waiting to be killed). Aggro mobs help a little here and mobs that track really can throw you a curve sometimes. Mobs that react to you pokeing them is neat. And of course responding to chit chat. But the idea of mobs not being so tied to a zone and maybe wandering more is neat (probably hard to code, but neat). The addition of the wandering Palidans was neat and all too often painfully deadly. But it sure did one thing, it changed the playing field for you from time to time. I suspect the AI can only get better with time.

Gindipple
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Feb 02, 2001 7:55 am

Mob AI?

I remeber once someone was fighting a dog and fled into a building and closed the door behind him. The dog proceded to open the door go into the room and kill the poor sob.
Now thats one smart dog 8P
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Feb 02, 2001 8:05 pm

Gin, excellent point:

It always disturbed me that the vast majority of human mobs would do *nothing* (not even pointedly ignore me) when I would initiate a conversation with them. Heck, there was always a woman in WD whining about her lost child; it would be nice if she would have provided a description :-p
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 02, 2001 8:35 pm

Heh... my cats can open the door back home. Problem is they never close the door behind them so it gets real cold in the winter sometimes... heh.

But one thing that's always bugged me is assisting. That needs to be made smarter, I mean you might be killing a rat and some guard or something will assist the rat and kill you! It makes no sense at all... same thing with the elves and yuan-ti in greycloak hills. The elves will assist the yuan-ti against anyone! Would be nice if the new AI stuff would take care of those type of things better...

Sarvis
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:32 pm

*pat klurg*
Bwah! get well from that shitty illness and come drink some coffee...
wumm anyways..

Yeah, well going to bed at nights isn't really AI though is it?

But it's a kool idea.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Feb 19, 2001 1:21 am

Assisting guards were funny in Bloodstone. You had no clue who they would side with. One day, the guard would walk in and totally smite the sparrow you were fighting and the next day they would trundle in and toast you because they decided to ally with an undead squirrel.

-Yayaril
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Feb 19, 2001 12:15 pm

Actually I think the watchers assisted person npcs, and assisted you against animals.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”