Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Elseenas
Sojourner

A Few More Ideas...

Postby Elseenas » Fri Feb 02, 2001 5:46 am

its me again :-)

A few more recommendations:

<ul>
[*]Let there be experience for doing something other than fighting. Picking a lock or solving a puzzle should be worth experience on the same order of magnitude as killing a mob of the same difficulty</li>

[*]This is more of a general comment on alignment. I was playing a ranger over in WD and went to the town east of there (south of the magic gate, I forgot its name) and came across a fighter doing xp by killing every man, woman, dog and child in the place (they were neutral). Some kind of justice system or word of mouth (have someone run from one village to another talking about the massacre) would have been good: child killers should not be allowed back in WD (okay, so I am a purist roleplayer and don't just treat them as bits: yelled at one character because he was killing eagles that got in our way).</li>

[*]Once, while in WD, I saw a ranger doing xp on small furry animals. Deeply repulsed by this barbarism, I helped him on the sole condition that he never slay another such creature. A true ranger would *never* do something like that, some protection for that either being encouraged or built in would be nice: someone who kills rabbits in their spare time is not likely to be favoured by the local constable (also, why were sparrows so hard to kill?)</li>

[/list]

Anyways, just my rant. I'm tired and feel free to ignore :-p
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Fri Feb 02, 2001 6:21 am

Hehe... I've never succeeded getting a sparrow in my whole life. Have you?
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Feb 02, 2001 7:48 am

1. Applying any skill gets youe experience although not very much. Maybe it should be tweaked so picking locks and such give relitivly more experience.

2. There already was a justice system. Killing random people in towns will get you thrown in jail. (or in evil towns simply killed).

3. We rangers got to eat dont we? :)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 02, 2001 8:13 am

I always hated having to kill animals as a ranger, but sometimes it just seems like the only choice. Or at least it seems like it when you are a newbie... now there's several places I know where to go when I want to level a ranger other than animals. And they put in that cemetary which is nice for such things...

Exp for quests and such would be nice... but possible unbalancing?

Justice is in, but only in major cities... probably just not much point in adding it to that little village you were talking about. If they did the guards would have to be weak, not like the WD elite guards... heh. ;)

Guess that's all I have to say... and in the wrong order too. ;)

Sarvis
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Feb 02, 2001 8:59 am

Ah the cemetary. I didnt learn the password for that p[lace until I was like like 20. It ain't all that obvious which is why I think it isnt done much.
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Fri Feb 02, 2001 9:09 am

And one more thing.
Which actions do you think rangers have taken to advance in rl?
Track & hunt animals mostly.

So I think AD&D concept of ranger is contradictory in itself at first.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 02, 2001 9:12 am

Err... not really. Rangers aren't against killing animals... I mean by god we aren't vegans! *shudder* We just hate things like sport hunting... killing animals for no apparant reason... stuffs like that. I mean if we hated things for killing animals and eating them we'd have to be enemies of half the animals in the animal kingdom... which would be even more contradictory... heh.

Sarvis (should go to bed.)
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Fri Feb 02, 2001 9:23 am

Heh yeah, yer right.
But if ranger is a master of tracking and hunting, it's because he have been killing animals 1000 times more than other ppl have.
So it's not that radically absurd lowbie rangers keeping killing animals.

Yeah..yeah..still quite absurd. i know.
Well...hehe but my point is let's let aside thses minor things a bit.

I want soj3 a day sooner! *grin*
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Feb 02, 2001 6:57 pm

I am proposing that a small justice system in a town, where for really big crimes (e.g., murder) could be reported to WD (or BG when down south) by means of a runner (who could be intercepted and killed, incidentally).

If this idea was fleshed out, the town crier could be calling out a substantial bounty in Calimshan for the capture of Nilan up in WD after a few weeks when it had reached a significant level (not my original idea).
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Feb 19, 2001 2:02 am

Oh, how I enjoyed that justice system!

Yayaril
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Mon Feb 19, 2001 11:02 am

Hmmm, as for rangers killing animals, what do you think they've done all their lives, eat grubs, roots, and bark? Just saying in a rather sarcastic way that I agree with most of the posts above.

Experience for picking locks, solving quests: EXCELLENT IDEA! I don't think it would be unbalancing at all. Granted, you usually get EQ for quests, but a small amount of experience or more experience but no EQ would be fine. The amounts would obviously have to be small enough that they weren't twinkable (based on the difficulty of the quest/task). I shouldn't be able to take my rogue Twiblin from level 20 to 21 in a few hours of practicing pick lock. Perhaps certain locks could be flagged as worth more exp. Picking the gates to WD is a pretty common occurrence, so not worth much, but picking the lock of a chest/door in a major zone/quest would be a nice bonus for us rogues Image If you want to implement something like this, I'd also suggest that mages get experience for learning new spells. I believe most of this happens in 2nd Ed. rules anyway.

Harthorm/Twiblin
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Mon Feb 19, 2001 9:30 pm

AND how about some exp for bards doing something during battle? A little something for each verse, whatever the song, would help immensely.

Eilorn(who may make another halfling bard, if halflings move north :-)
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Mon Feb 19, 2001 9:54 pm

Bards get healing xp. I levelled off a heal verse once.

You sing a song so well you ease everyone's pain and suffering.
You raise a level!

Woot!
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Feb 19, 2001 11:07 pm

Harthorm:
It isn't that they are killing animals (the forage command produced meat, I had no problems with this) it is the reason that they were killing them.

Killing animals for xp is worse than trophy hunting, its like practicing on live targets and leaving the spoils behind.

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:31 am

Just remember to eat all those little buggers.

Tilandal the FAT *BURP*

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”