platinum and trade

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
vynigumba
Sojourner

platinum and trade

Postby vynigumba » Thu Mar 01, 2001 2:20 pm

ok, you sort of convince me about death penalties. I must say I managed to explore solo many areas, such as labby and the underwater city (cant remember the name) and that plain down south with that ugly demon after the LOCKED door (still remember my cr).
Besides the labyrinth (where i was able to solo pretty much everything besides the knight) the other areas where just too far. To die down there would have ment to spend hours CR and hours XP. Anyway I felt like there where place I just could not go without being sure of death. Probably the necromancer after all is not such a good class for exploring.

ANYWAY..
Here is my second topic...
I see that Trade will be implemented and improved. Trade gives platinum (I think). But after a while platinum is somewhat useless. (well, the only decent use I could find is to buy zillions of fireball scrolls and cast them on unglobed mobs).

Now is this going to continue or it will be given some use to platinum? (and therefore Trade).
I proposed platinum instead of xp loss. (and I still like it if it is balanced). But also good potions or powerful items (to use in emergency cases and very expensive) should be considered.

p.s. I think I would have paid 10000 plat for a wand or recall.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Mar 01, 2001 2:24 pm

I think I poured down a fortune in vitality potions Image

My assassin also spent quite a lot of money on throwing daggers and poisons.

/Jegzed
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Thu Mar 01, 2001 2:32 pm

Necro huh? There was a pretty thriving player market in WD for equipment that platinum came in handy for (at lower levels anyway). Also I belive the plan is to have several structures that players will need globs of money to buy and maintain (player housing/boats), as well as the creation and upgrading of player orgs.

You could always just donate it all to the Belleshel scholarship fund I'm sure I'll find a use for it.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:14 pm

I also think that the mud would benefit from more ways for plats to leak out of the pockets of the player base. When more gets siphoned out, the value of plats stays high. I dont agree with the 'plats for death' and think that more potions 'n stuff would help somewhat. Another idea is this:

Quick idea for the day:

Just about every AD&D computer game, as well as many PnP AD&D games have temples at which players can buy healing. As far as I've seen, we don't have that on Sojourn. Ever seen corpses pile up at 3w when there aren't any bored ressers around? Ever frantically needed a press and 'who cleric' brings up zilch? If you're desperate for healing why not be able to go to a temple (no, not the cleric guild...a different temple) and pay high prices to get that healing? Yeah, those greedy clerics will gouge you, but when you're desperate, you're willing to pay. I think if prices were high enough (thousands of plats for a ress) it'd be a good way to drain the pockets of the rich when they're desperate. Also it'd suck alot less for ppl who play at odd times, when the player base is small. Player clerics would not be pushed outta the market because 1) theyre free and 2) theyre mobile. I also think this would encourage exploration to more remote areas of the mud (i.e. you can get that healing in scornubel).

mmm...pork chops....*drool*

Izzy
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:57 pm

Let's also not forget the auction board. People were selling items that normally you'd have to trade for or get the old fashioned way for large amounts of cash. The items offered were often put up by people trying to get funds for their guilds so there was some pretty spanky stuff for sale.
Thalen
Sojourner

Postby Thalen » Thu Mar 01, 2001 9:18 pm

I think Izarek's idea is great and would be quite workable (remembers paying 4000 gold to cure an energy drain in pools of radiance). I agree with Treladian too that the auction board should remain however, selling to other players isn't a 'gold sink' as the money still remains in circulation amongst players.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:18 pm

The auction board itself wasn't a sink. But since it tended to be used by people raising money for their guilds, which are a money sink, it indirectly had that function =p
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:35 am

Miax and group already said theres gonna be huge money sinks. Second money has said to be not as abundant without trading. So sinks aren't as necessary and now there are more. So it would seem the problem is solved. Plus i would _NEVER_ pay 1000 plat for a ress much less 100. Its just silly.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”