Name abbreviations/nicknames?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Malacar
Sojourner

Name abbreviations/nicknames?

Postby Malacar » Wed Mar 14, 2001 2:56 am

Not sure if this is possible in Diku code... But is there any way to have a single player or god set attribute that can truncate your name for targetting/telling purposes? IE - who list and room descs still show full name... But if someone wanted to cast a spell on 'Ssyrythyeyastasofd' and some guy had a name of 'Ssyrythpoiwieurh'... One has a nickname of SS1, other has SS2.

Just a thought, and not sure how much of an overhaul that would require, but damn would it make life easier. Image

Mal
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Mar 14, 2001 3:38 am

You should use tab auto compleation.
Me
Sojourner

Postby Me » Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:42 am

... or, if you use zmud, shift-tab is possibly the world's best feature, next to alt-f4.

(shift-tab autocompletes whatever you type in using the recent history received from the mud. Ie if you see "Fizxcioua group-says: heal me!", type "fiz", hit shift-tab, and zmud will finish it for 'ya. Nifty.)
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:39 am

Very easy to code abbrevations for targetting stuff, both names on mobs/players and objects.

Like mal instead of malacar and ave instead of avernus.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Mar 14, 2001 3:01 pm

You missed the point, tilandal and Me.. Image

I'm talking mudside. Something hardcoded, and medium independant. For someone that might be using raw telnet. Or for a person that doesnt know how/has no time/doesnt want to... code in zmud or TF, or whatever.

*shrug* It was late when I suggested this, and was just an idea. Image

Mal
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Wed Mar 14, 2001 4:41 pm

You could have nicknames, and aliases for that matter, but with the availablity (and ease) of todays clients on all platforms, its not a big deal. (in the old days of plain telnet..ack). Also on a mud such as sojourn where there are ~8k pfiles, your adding a decent extra storage drain on the server having to save a nick array for all those chars.
Extra features are always nice, but to satisfy the very few of us that use telnet every so often, not worth the effort.
Belle
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:50 pm

To add abbrevations into the mudcode for use with everything takes about 5 lines of code.

It will make you able to abbrevate anything you target.

Like "get ave" instead of "get avernus"

"give ave mal" instead of "give avernus malacar".

It is a very easy code addition and many muds have it.
Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:54 pm

yeah but what happens when just as you hit enter on give mal flam to give malacar your flamberge and at that moment malacad walks into the room and you give it to him? now we've go a situation where we have to have an administration god appear cause after malacad realized he dropped link so as he can keep the item since you gave it to him and he's gonna be a putz.... you see where this could lead? if you've got a problem with typing things out I suggest taking a class or downloading a program from the net to improve your typing accuracy and speed =P

Elscint Hairytoes (The Halfling Sorcerer)
Luke

P.S. you could just play a caster and do it without triggers or alias' for about 3 months try regular telnet, I promise you'll get better or you won't live long =P
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Thu Mar 15, 2001 5:01 pm

Yeah all kinds of abbrevations may lead to that, even zmud shift-tab. (though it could be regonized before actually hitting enter hehe)

Anyways, was just saying.. It's and easy code addition and don't take any messing around with pfiles or something like that as someone said above.

And, i think abbrevations suck too :P
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 15, 2001 5:21 pm

Bleh!

Nevermind!

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 03-15-2001).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 15, 2001 5:39 pm

Cough Zmud

Cough aliases

Cough tab completion

Cough waste of S3 coding time, processor usage and disk space

Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Thu Mar 15, 2001 5:59 pm

Malacar

I never stated that your idea sucked. I guess I'm sorry that you feel like I 'slammed' you but that was not my intent. The thread developed in such a way that I guess yes I did lose a bit of your original post and I merely pointed out a flaw with the name abbreviation system that Kyos had shown an example of. My statement about typing was meant in a light hearted fashion, take it easy man it's not personal.

Elscint Hairytoes (The Halfling Sorcerer)
Luke
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 15, 2001 6:08 pm

Elscint.. I never said you did. And it wasn't aimed at you. I removed it.. You're right. It's just a game, and I need to chill. Point well taken. Image

Mal

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 03-15-2001).]

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”