Random Pop Zone

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Kajib
Sojourner

Random Pop Zone

Postby Kajib » Sun Mar 25, 2001 8:53 am

Ok, I seem to recall hearing something about this, but can't put a time or place to it. A while ago I had the idea of having a zone that loaded rooms randomly....ie for each room, there were 4 possible rooms that could load, making the zone a new one each time, with new mobs and such. This would be a sweet zone cuz learning it would be considerably harder than learning the average zone, and maybe even impossible depending on how many variations there were.
I might have posted this last year sometime, but I dont remember. Was anything like this ever in the works or is it totally not a viable idea?
Matt
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Mar 25, 2001 10:12 am

You get spanked in one part, and then mud crashes and you could not even CR Image

Sounds like great fun,.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Mar 25, 2001 1:23 pm

Hrmm, i bet that could be done. I'm sure theres a method of moving a pcorpse to another room at reboot. Then you have some plausible reason that pcorpses would be moved to a particular room. e.g. a morgue that always loads. I'd wager that the difficult part would be getting Cyric's permission to do this Image

Corth (doing a lot of gambling)
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Sun Mar 25, 2001 8:59 pm

Neat idea, but it sounds very hard to program.

Tro
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Mon Mar 26, 2001 3:12 am

You could theoretically make a zone that was different every time, but not in the sense you stated. You could do a zone that would have different rooms available each boot, by blocking or unblocking exits. You could not however, short of a special proc, have a zone that physically changes the rooms each time. All rooms _must_ load. You could however block access or allow access to different rooms each time.

So if you wrote lets say 300 rooms, and 100 of those were available all the time, and the remaining two hundred would switch out each boot in a group of 100, that means you would have to write 300 rooms to get a 200 room zone. Thats a lot of semi-wasted work since not all of those rooms will be available all the time. Moreover, the amount of work it would take to get them to switch properly would absolutely nightmarish. If your thinking about writing a zone, this is not the way to start!

Temp
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 26, 2001 3:58 pm

Well if it was a 'shifting maze' and the rooms were fairly drab and uniform (so as to avoid wasted work) I could see it working...
Uthgar
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Uthgar » Mon Mar 26, 2001 6:53 pm

Actually, another way to do it that I have used is to have the same rooms used every time, but make the room fairly uninteresting with a generic title. Then each time it loads, you put different objects and mobs in the room to make players "feel" like they are in a totally different room. I have done this before with a room in the MUD (Waelos knows where) to good effect. It would be cool to try doing it with an entire zone. Add doors and teleporter objects and you could have a totally different zone experience with each load (or repop? *cackle*). Hmmm, maybe we'll see a zone with some of these ideas soon...

Uthgar
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:57 am

This idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while, and it always made me want to build one. Would it be possible to have a zone load with random doors locked? Like set up an array of doors that would be opened, and at boot time one of the array of door nums loads as "unlocked", so you can access part of the zone. Would be a good way to keep a zone going, because instead of writing an entire new zone, you could add onto this zone by building a sub-zone of maybe 50 rooms.

So can doors be made to randomly load as locked or unlocked?

Sel
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Mar 27, 2001 5:46 am

Hey wait! This is already in the game, and it's called UM/UM2! Image

90% of the rooms are same title/description, there are teleport rooms, 1 way exits, and miles of tunnels to get lost in! Snicker, if I didn't know better, I'd swear that zone is different every time you enter it.

Uthgar
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Uthgar » Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:17 pm

Yes, you can make doors randomly load open or closed... you can make them even randomly open or close at repop. These effects do exist in a zone I built.

Uthgar
Ronathar/Galnyrith
Sojourner

Postby Ronathar/Galnyrith » Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:42 am

I dont know if they have this, but how about timed events? IE. Things that appear at day/night, etc. Or specific times of the year?
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:15 am

Yes, you can do timed events....in theory. I think it needs a fix, but the code is there.

Temp

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”