You stagger from a fearsome hit from ... a sparrow?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Me
Sojourner

You stagger from a fearsome hit from ... a sparrow?

Postby Me » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:06 pm

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that, as a very low level caster, squirrels, bunnys, rodents, and other assorted fodder are actually doing damage?

Maybe I'm alone -- this always really bugged me. I think it detracts from game realism.

I've always thought that little things that could be stepped on should be killable by anyone with ease, and worth zero experience. The bunnys should still hop around, but just for effect, not as the bane to a level 1 enchanter.

Would also make low level players go and find something real to kill, other than sparrows.

Ok, I'm done complaining now.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:18 pm

I don't think there _is_ anything else for lvl 1 casters to kill. Err... at least not the weaker races of casters. Shamans can kill some bigger stuff, dwarven clerics probably can too. But if yer a halfling 'voker yer stuck with squirrels. hehe. Err... oh yeah... there is that place in WD with the skeletons and such... that might be level 2 though. Image
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:21 pm

I understand where you're coming from and you have my sympathies. I think the answer most would give is that sojourn is designed for groups, especially for casters. If it makes you feel better, watch Monty Python and the holy grail and see what a rabbit can do to a whole group of knights.

Izzy
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:24 pm

The admins mentioned they were rehauling the lowbie xp areas so people would no longer die to butterflies. This was many months ago, so most of it might have been removed by now.

Cherzra. Sage. Read every message on SOS2 and this BBS.
Morek
Sojourner

Postby Morek » Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:23 pm

Actually..if anyone's ever pissed off a mama bird too close to her nest, you'd realize that even something as small as a sparrow could probably do some damage...or at least scare the hell out of you. Image
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Wed Mar 28, 2001 8:53 pm

Disclaimer: silly post don't get offended if you are disabled or have lost a limb

Hehe this is NOT meant as a flame to morek either (man so many posts about flaming etc I have to put a disclaimer in!)...

I think the whole term "mama bird" sort of drives the point home...there aint any "mama bird" in the world that's gonna kill a human short of the human being parapalegic or something (and even then...the human will spin and bite the bird to death I KNOW IT!)

LOL

You stagger from a parapalegic's fearsome pound.

Hey there's an Idea! Maybe we should be able to not only fumble but get our arm or something chopped off in battle! New spell for clerics:

Casting Re-attach Limb *******************

In any case my ramblings do have a point I just wanted to say i'm glad they are looking at birdies and bunnies doing so much damage to PC's.

Although I still think halflings should take damage from "Oof (insert ogre name here) bumps into you!"

Wobb
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Mar 28, 2001 11:34 pm

ROFL, those cassowary are pretty viscious. This thread reminds me of when I was a wee lad and hadd two pet chickens. My little sister was terrified of them and with reason to be hehe! Every time she went into the back yard they would chase her and try to peck her feet, sometimes even made her bleed *gulp*.
Anyway, I think the birds and stuff at TP did get made a bit easier? Wasn't it on the news MOTD some time about you will no longer have to fear the little fellas? None the less I have to agree they could get a bit scary. There are things to kill at level one, I did the ox with sarell with newbie quip, took me frickin long enough though. The skelotons in WD were do-able, can tsay I know about the little goblins in Mt SK tho...
I think we should wait and see what the gods have in stall for us I know there is a host of new newbie areas.
Personally I would like to see some of the trditional D&D low level monster anbout to chase, some kobolds, or fire beetles, or green slimes. The graveyard in wD was good, mmmm skeleetons and zombies oh my, with a big badie at the end. I think I have done that area more than anyone else, got Ladak from -800 alignment to +748 in there hehe. FEAR MY WOODEN CLUB. Level one is a very short lived time none the less I think?

Hmmmm I will still sit at TP shapechanged into a robin and scare the hell out of newbies, could never give that up.

Have a Rad Day
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:00 am

Actually, right before we opened Soj2 I went through and changed as many of those mobs as I could find (Ako, podlings, WD park) for just that reason, and I continued throughout the year we were open. I agree with you completely...either a bunny should not be able to kill a grown man, or its description should describe it as having "big nasty fangs and a mean streak a mile wide". If you find more of these mobs out there lemme know and I'll change them to kobolds, goblins, warthogs, and the like.

Cyric
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:44 am

thanks Cyric

Yes it was annying when even as a lvl1 barb if not spanked you'd get pretty messed up by some tiny herbivore.

/imp

"I am an evil herbivore, I will eat all the leaves so that other girafs may die" - Eddie Izzard Glorious
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Thu Mar 29, 2001 1:26 pm

LOL!

Look at the bones!!! Cyric Pythoned...

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 29, 2001 1:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cyric:
<B>Actually, right before we opened Soj2 I went through and changed as many of those mobs as I could find (Ako, podlings, WD park)

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, how quickly he forgets the grunt underlings who assisted him with this less than glorious task.

--D2, Transmogrifier of "Harmless Little Bunnies"
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:00 pm

At least you admitted the truth, D2... Underling indeed! Image

*ducks the incoming godsmack(btw that band is damn good)*

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Mar 30, 2001 1:46 am

<> Trail in the Forest of Sharp Teeth
Room size: Very large (L:40 ft W:80 ft H:500 ft)
Exits: -N -S
A tiny stream flows slowly by, its waters glistening in the light.
Nugg (Ogre) stands here.
A small, furry brown squirrel is here, regarding you curiously.
A small, furry brown squirrel is here, regarding you curiously.
< 20h/39H 62v/125V >
<> kill squirrel
Your awesome pound causes the squirrel to gasp in pain!
< 21h/39H 63v/125V >
< T: Wobb TC: few wounds E: squirrel EC: few wounds>
Nugg assists you heroically.
< 21h/39H 63v/125V >
< T: Wobb TC: few wounds E: squirrel EC: few wounds>
The squirrel bites you extremely hard.
You miss the squirrel with your pound.
< 16h/39H 63v/125V >
< T: Wobb TC: nasty wounds E: squirrel EC: few wounds>
The squirrel is nearly slain by the force of Nugg's pound!
The squirrel enshrouds you in a mist of blood with its deadly bite!
YIKES! Another hit like that, and you've had it!!
Trail in the Forest of Sharp Teeth
Room size: Very large (L:40 ft W:80 ft H:500 ft)
Exits: -S -W
You flee northward!
< 6h/39H 62v/125V >
<> s
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:48 am

Heh, my gnome cleric got slaughtered by a piglet near Ako in two hits and he was about only level 2 or 3 =P

Wargo aka Gwubi
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 01, 2001 12:15 am

Squirrels crit for like 24 hps. I was at few scratches and got turned to awful in one hit :P . Also the undead in WD are not nearly as easy as they used to be. May not be worth it for most ppl.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”