Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Fri Mar 23, 2001 12:45 am

Hiya Teila. Image

Mplor
Lohrandelarien
Sojourner

Postby Lohrandelarien » Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:22 pm

My 2 cents of arti's and wielders.

Ok. I think that artifacts, aswell as "player heroes" among rare items just makes the game more intresting. I never had any rare items, but the thing wasn't to have em, it was to dream about them!

And the way I see it, people who have been playing for 5 years and know the whole mud, should not deserve items more than people who have been playing for one year. Why? Well I think that whoever gets his hands on the arti should keep it..

And how? I don't think arti's should be handed out on mobs in some hard-ass zone. That stinks. Neither do I believe in some made up god quests for old and famous players. I believe in a quest, made by the gods... put into the game without noticing the players - and let it then be as Ilshadrial said earlier... let it take 2 years... or let it take 1 month, It doesn't matter aslong as the quest really takes some brains and effort. I mean, there is no end to how cool/fun quests one should be able to do, it ain't so hard to code quests or come up with a good idea.

And of course arti's shouldn't be overloaded with special abilities and spells. Where is the game headin' if a Cleric can solo a f**king Dragon?

Rather make arti's something equal to the best non-arti sword, or lil better... and then just rename it. Or give it a nifty proc that looks cool. I mean, arti's are nothing more than a piece of text made by a god.. takes 2 minutes to create an arti, and takes 5 seconds to change stats. TEXT!

Bah, MAKE arti's something not to powerful, but still unique.. !

uhm.. dunno what i'm talkin' bout I guess.
Have a nice day, and remember chili-nuts don't grow on bushes.

-Lohr (the cleric who noone could save..) :P
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Thu Mar 29, 2001 3:43 pm

You guys crack me up!!

I stayed out of this thread cause i wd have just done the tall poppy thing... But..

'I've learned something today'

#1 Everyone thinks the old artifacts were overpowered.

#2 People that had them don't seem to care if they got them again.

#3 a lot of people that didn't have them still want to be given one :P

#4 having an item that is kick ass doesn't make you a better mudder, just gives you a crotch to lean on.

#5 power weapons make fighting easier so makes the game less challenging.

#6 people that dont have time to 'get the favour of the gods' dont want to see those that have no life that mud 12 hours a day get one.

#7 well there would be 7 if i wasn't so tired. (end of lesson)

We can all have an artifact/relic you just have to group with Varia :P

If you want to be the best dressed mudder buy a webcam and wear your sunday best while playing....

Owning an artifact can't give you the same respect as a muddder as someone that muds with thier brains and skills not with their eq..

Jasix 'i wanna be a philosopher' Prowlingwolf
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Thu Mar 29, 2001 3:46 pm

<i>takes 2 minutes to create an arti, and takes 5 seconds to change stats. TEXT!
</i>

Actually, the stats are all entered with a text editor--the proc on the other hand has to be hard coded into the MUD.

I see why they won't put artifacts in--they're taking the long view, say 3 years down the road, they don't want an overpowered player base that wips through zones.

The other side of the coin is, how do you lure back your best players from the past? Artifacts are an incentive for the players to return. And sadly, without them, chances are more than a few won't return.

Does that make these people greedy or twinky? no, it's just that they realize they are a unique caliber of player--hero class zone leaders who want to be distinguished through not only their actions, but their apearance also.

As far as someone new to the MUD getting an artifact, I wouldn't agree. If the person isn't a respected zone leader, people with get jelous and distance themselves from that individual. The player base has to approve of the "Gift" ultimately, or it doesn't work...
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:11 pm

Jasix Prowlingwolf wrote:

"#4 having an item that is kick ass doesn't make you a better mudder, just gives you a crotch to lean on."

Can I volunteer?

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Lohrandelarien
Sojourner

Postby Lohrandelarien » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:56 pm

Ruhr.

As i said, I rather see a player earning an artifact thought a quest (that if something will prove your worth) - rather than beeing a good leader of a group or have a long experience with mud, cuz that way - all the artifacts falls down on these guys who's been here forever. Which isn't that wrong, but i think that whoever is good enough solving a quest - should be respected. As it has been last wipe, there where a few persons who knew about some really spankin' quests.. and same group of people where doing that quest over and over again - it all ended up with all people in that group had that kind of eq. I rather see quests change... and not become a routine of the experienced players daily actions.

Earned stuffs through leadership/knowledge/experience is a natural thing. Of course these guys who have had artifatcs through the years have REALLY earned them, i wouldn't say anything else.

But earning arti's/rare's through other ways are just another aspect.. and I think that there must be some variation of how people can get one.

And if you believe there will be fewer players playing if they can't get back their "status" through items it's sad. Because i would rather believe that it would attend more people if they would know that ANYONE can actually get these things, if they prove themselves worthy through a solo quest.

And of course, these guys who got this great knowledge would probably have quite a better chance of finding these quests and solving them... and then of course they earn it aswell.

As it has been before, some quests where so god damn hard, that you needed to be a whole kickass group to kill for each item, - I rather see quests which takes more brain and effort. And quests which are there for everyone to discover, but not for everyone to solve!

I'm just giving my point's of view, please let me know what you think, I easily can chance my mind Image bye for now!

- Lohr
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:04 pm

If you bring back artis purely so old farts will come back and play to get them, then you're going about it the total wrong way. Before you consider this a flame on blabla and his buddies who played 20 wipes ago, it's not. It's just wrong.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:32 pm

Ruhr wasn't saying whether it was wrong or not (that old players would come back with due incentive), he was simply saying it is a reality.

Which I am sure it is for some.

Jurdex
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 01, 2001 12:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lohrandelarien:
<B>My 2 cents of arti's and wielders.

Where is the game headin' if a Cleric can solo a f**king Dragon?

uhm.. dunno what i'm talkin' bout I guess.
Have a nice day, and remember chili-nuts don't grow on bushes.

-Lohr (the cleric who noone could save..) :P</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Other people soloed that dragon, not just Tagad, and they did it without artifacts. Tagad's artifact did nothing but speed up the process a bit.
Xizz
Sojourner

Postby Xizz » Mon Apr 02, 2001 6:16 pm

What evil race character obtained an artifact?
Tagad
Sojourner

Postby Tagad » Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:14 am

Serro.
Kanthas. (Outcast Barbarian Leader)
Tagad
Sojourner

Postby Tagad » Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:17 am

"Other people soloed that dragon, not just Tagad, and they did it without artifacts. Tagad's artifact did nothing but speed up the process a bit."

I do want to clear one thing up real quick. People use the term "Solo" in such wrong ways some times. To Solo an NPC one has no outside help. Plenty of people duo'd the NPC, and a few necros did solo it as well. If anything the killing with the hammer was a long and arduous task, there was nothing short about it.

Tagad Sigil
Lohrandelarien
Sojourner

Postby Lohrandelarien » Tue Apr 03, 2001 7:28 am

I was just talkin about a player killing a dragon, whoever it is Image It's Non-fantasy for me..heh but i dunno!

I wanna rock! ROCK! - ba-ba-baa ba-ba-baa

bleh - Lohr

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”