How about a "Compare" command

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
lemes
Sojourner

How about a \"Compare\" command

Postby lemes » Mon Apr 09, 2001 2:26 am

How about a compare command to compare weapons/armor items for the non-magic users out there and would be the equivalent of a quick field appraisal of an item. It could also be a skill if not a command. For instance, compare Dagger Lance would compare the first dagger and first lance in your inventory. It would only take into account damroll and would not tell you how much better the damroll is than the other weapon, just that one looks better than the other, and would not take into account damroll hitroll or other magic or bonuses. Armor would compare similarly, but just take into account the ac and not consider any bonuses.

Nate
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Tue Apr 10, 2001 11:05 am

I think it's a good idea; seasoned warriors should have at least a decent idea of quality when it comes to weapons and armor, so they should be able to tell which weapon would be more effective and such.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Apr 10, 2001 4:29 pm

You mean dice, not damroll I assume?
lemes
Sojourner

Postby lemes » Wed Apr 11, 2001 5:56 am

ACK yes, my mind tends to wander when I type freely when struck with an idea. I mean that the command would compare DICE only and would not take into consideration any bonuses nor tell you HOW MUCH better one was than the other, other than saying x appears like it would do more damage in combat than y.

-Nate
lemes
Sojourner

Postby lemes » Wed Apr 11, 2001 5:57 am

BTW, this could be a skill rather than a command if need be. Like the person posted above, a seasoned warrior of battle would have a better eye for judging weapons than a neophyte trainee.

-Nate
Zhadrak/Dharag
Sojourner

Postby Zhadrak/Dharag » Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:08 am

this is a really good idea, aslong as it only considers AC and Dices.

could set up the skill so a succeded skill check sez witch one is better, a failed one says that ya cant see any difference, and a critical fail gives you the wrong info about the weapons or armor
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Wed Apr 11, 2001 11:13 am

This would be a good rogue skill. And a "master" (level 45-50?) would be able to do full stats just like the spell "identify". It would NOT put anyone out of a job, because neither would be better than the other. You could give it to your buddy the rogue, or your buddy the enchanter. And more folks would give to the enchanter anyway, because the rogue would have to wait 45+ levels to equal the other in skill. Now, I realize that you said dice/ac only, but a REAL master thief could do better....
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Wed Apr 11, 2001 11:42 am

It fits the bards theme far more than a rogues...besides give those poor bards a bone Image. If its a skill, it should nowhere near be as good as 'identify' but by using it a few times a bard could gather a good deal of info on items.
I liked the idea of compare for warrior types, and a more powerful version for bards.
Belle
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Apr 11, 2001 11:48 am

Even though I'm going to play a Rogue, I agree with Belle that a 'compare' skill would be best fitted to a Bard.

Nokie Quickfingers!
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Thu Apr 12, 2001 10:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nokie:
<B>Even though I'm going to play a Rogue, I agree with Belle that a 'compare' skill would be best fitted to a Bard.

Nokie Quickfingers!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You broke my heart Nokie! *Godfather kiss*
lemes
Sojourner

Postby lemes » Tue Apr 24, 2001 4:46 am

Any Immorts have any comments? :P
Gythi
Sojourner

Postby Gythi » Tue Apr 24, 2001 1:13 pm

I've tried to push idea twice without a response, but i think it should be more than one class. Some classes can get better (more detailed) readings, be even a mage can tell a dull 1d2 dagger from a 1d5 dagger without a spell, plus not all mages get ID =P

- Gythi
Tzat
Sojourner

Postby Tzat » Thu Apr 26, 2001 3:42 pm

Its a cool idea I guess, but why not just buy ID scrolls? I basically just always carried 5 around or something...costs next to nothing...really easy. (although, expensive at low levels, but your "skill" would suck then anyway) Or are there restrictions on who can use those scrolls?
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu Apr 26, 2001 4:26 pm

Nope, Anyone can recite a scroll of identify. They are expensive from leveles 1-16 but anyone at level 20 has the cash to buy a few dozen of em. There are those weapons and armor that are !id though and in that case a compair command would be helpfull.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu Apr 26, 2001 8:56 pm

Well, lemme just say that I think this probably isn't the best of ideas. Even though you're saying it wouldn't tell you the hit/dam of the weapon, that is *so* easily obtained by merely wielding the weapon.

What makes the dice different on two different swords, for instance? Some thoughts:

1. Basic size of the weapon. A teeny little short sword just doesn't have the mass of a bastard sword. Obviously the mere size of the weapon would affect this.

2. Quality of craftsmanship. Take the Japanese katana for example... no one knows how to fold metal the number of times the finest swords made during that era were folded with the materials available at the time (i.e. without an alloy).

3. Magical nature of the weapon. This isn't always reflected in hit/dam of a weapon. Vorpal blades, dragonslayers and the like have a magic that is beyond just hit/dam in normal D&D.

So how would you differentiate the reasoning for these? 1 and 2 certainly would be easy for a well-educated warrior to compare, I'll grant you.

3 is actually taken care of by the magic flag, I guess. Hrm... beginning to like this idea better already. Maybe you could compare two non-magical weapons.

OK, i'll sign on, this is a good idea, with the caveat that the magical flag prevents the use of this skill/command/whatever.
lemes
Sojourner

Postby lemes » Sat May 05, 2001 12:41 am

Yes, well that is what I intended, maybe i didn't say it well enough, but any "magical" would not be able to be compared to other magical or non-magical weapons with a degree of success, this includes weapons with procs or bonuses which are inherantly "magical". Two non magical weapons should be able to be compared rather easily, and maybe if this were turnd into a skill, could compare magical and nonmagical, but would again only compare dice/average damage of the weapon not including anything magical into the equation. And yes, id scrolls are expensive for lower levels, sometimes you don't have an Id scroll and it wouldjust be handy and realistic to be able to have a skill to give a rough estimate of a piece of eq compared to something you have now. Besides this skill wouldn't take the place of ID, ID would still be much more powerful, but this would be a skill very usefull to melee types "in the field." Of course I know alot of people that don't think this would be a useful skill are "oldbies" that already know the stats of every piece of eq in the game. For them, this idea was not designed.

Lemes
lemes
Sojourner

Postby lemes » Sat May 05, 2001 12:44 am

Err..

I just re-read my post and I sorta came across as offensive. Wasn't meant to be, and btw, i guess some oldbies could use the skill if/when a new zone opened up with new EQ they didn't already know the stats to :P

-Lemes
Ontzlake
Sojourner

Postby Ontzlake » Tue May 15, 2001 11:03 am

Identify as a bard skill would in my oppinion say info about what zone the item comes from and if a famous mob once wielded it Etc. Not so much the damage part of a weapon.

my 2c - Ontzlake
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue May 15, 2001 2:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ontzlake:
<B>Identify as a bard skill would in my oppinion say info about what zone the item comes from and if a famous mob once wielded it Etc. Not so much the damage part of a weapon.

my 2c - Ontzlake</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something along the lines of Lore perhaps?

Twyl
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed May 16, 2001 9:05 am

Compare command is from other muds... I do think Bards should get Lore but it should help out in quests and stuff. That would make them more indispensable. I know it's painful for people to do this, but usually "examine item" will work wonders for telling whether one or the other is better.

Also, you can just wield them and fieldtest... the gc command doesn't exist for nothing ya know. Compare is unneeded imho. (Besides don't you guys LIKE to guess? c'mon!)

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”