10 things you should think about

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Lolok Frozencrow
Sojourner

10 things you should think about

Postby Lolok Frozencrow » Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:51 am

top 10 ideas comming from Lolok/Pimnn's brain

1. mount rest following someone --- rest while in saddle while moving, gain less moves and hp then real rest but more then standing , also mem/pray but twice as long mem/pray times.

2. mount rest solo--currently if you are on a mount and you order the mount to move in a direction , you fall off when you shouldn't ---same as mount rest cept you can mem while ordering yer mount to move, this would also interupt yer meditate (as it should)

3. call mount--- This would work if yer mount was left behind in a zone and would call the mount to you within that zone only, this would be cool if it could also work with 1.mount rest. you scout ahead while your friend stays on yer mount , then when all safe call yer mount and it comes to you with yer meming friend on it.

4. corpse carry-- be nice to put yer dead friend on yer mount to bring out of zone or somwhere for res.

5. int based reading skills-- trolls ,ogres,barbarians, of lesser int, should not be able to read some signs , notes, parchment, etc. would make for interesting rp stuff, as well as zone, interest. Could still read simple things but not really hard stuff, so some quests could implament parchments that only good int peeps could read.

6. wagon--- kinda like cart for trade cept you can carry yer friends,(max 2+you), dead folk, um trade goods when available, cr equiptment.

7. dwarf innate rock carve-- kinda like ranger skill but with dwarven twists.

8. dwarf innate skill mine--- make sum zones that need a dwarf to mine sum stone to enter, ie you see a dead end , so the dwarf starts using innate mine, kinda like search, maybe can also be based on like wisdom or something and require a pickaxe, innate mine-- the rock gives away benieth your pickaxe and revals a passageway.

9. boat charter--- have some boats in the ports that stay in port untill they get paid to run somewhere(no invis enterance or the person gets aggro by the crew) make the cost like 20p to bg from wd etc.. and have them give you a choice of ports and you would pick the one you want to go to.

10. small doorways/rooms-- would be funny if there were rooms/doors where big people like barbarians and humans and such could not enter(like when yer mounted) and would need reduce to enter,. also would make them halfling warriors not so unneeded.

sorry about the spelling/grammer i am not so smart, im a idea man Image

Lolok/Pimnn
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Mon Jun 04, 2001 8:27 am

corpse carry would sure suck when game crashed and ya lost all that was on the mount.

yuk

nilan
Kelsiria
Sojourner

Postby Kelsiria » Mon Jun 04, 2001 3:13 pm

I like the call mount idea. How many times have I been in a group and someone says, I lost my horse, then have to backtrack to find it. This would save a great deal of time.

Kelsi

------------------
Man has eyes, yet does not see. Man has ears, yet does not hear.
~ King David
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Mon Jun 04, 2001 3:37 pm

I don't know why when someone is doing mounted combat, the steed never gets hit. This is ludicrous to me. The horse is a big target and should be easy to hit. Logic would dictate (a bit of Vulcan there) that you first take out the mount, and then the rider. Its lame to see palis and anti's (and even rangers) fighting mobs that hit like trucks and see every blow blocked by the steed. How about at least a change of the horse being killed?

Lyt
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Mon Jun 04, 2001 3:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyt:
<B>I don't know why when someone is doing mounted combat, the steed never gets hit. This is ludicrous to me. The horse is a big target and should be easy to hit. Logic would dictate (a bit of Vulcan there) that you first take out the mount, and then the rider. Its lame to see palis and anti's (and even rangers) fighting mobs that hit like trucks and see every blow blocked by the steed. How about at least a change of the horse being killed?

Lyt</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

was wondering that myself. If I was the mob, I would use my AI to switch to the horse and destroy it.
Or would the horse just wave its ass at it, and deflect blows?
"The guardian of all evil attacks your horse with 10 hps, it blocks the blow with its flank."

[This message has been edited by Garosh (edited 06-04-2001).]
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:55 pm

1. mount rest following someone --- rest while in saddle while moving, gain less moves and hp then real rest but more then standing , also mem/pray but twice as long mem/pray times.

* I dont agree with memming, but I do like the resting idea, only when following.

3. call mount--- This would work if yer mount was left behind in a zone and would call the mount to you within that zone only, this would be cool if it could also work with 1.mount rest. you scout ahead while your friend stays on yer mount , then when all safe call yer mount and it comes to you with yer meming friend on it.

* Useful idea. I like it.

4. corpse carry-- be nice to put yer dead friend on yer mount to bring out of zone or somwhere for res.

* Perhaps something easier to code: o horse drag corpse.

7. dwarf innate rock carve-- kinda like ranger skill but with dwarven twists.

* You carve a torch out of the rock! Seriously, though. What would you carve from it? A stone sword? A stone canoe? Help me see where you're going with this..

8. dwarf innate skill mine--- make sum zones that need a dwarf to mine sum stone to enter, ie you see a dead end , so the dwarf starts using innate mine, kinda like search, maybe can also be based on like wisdom or something and require a pickaxe, innate mine-- the rock gives away benieth your pickaxe and revals a passageway.

* Too twinkable?

9. boat charter--- have some boats in the ports that stay in port untill they get paid to run somewhere(no invis enterance or the person gets aggro by the crew) make the cost like 20p to bg from wd etc.. and have them give you a choice of ports and you would pick the one you want to go to.

* I really like this idea. It should be more expensive, however. Opens up the possibility of zones not reachable by normal zones.

Izzy
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyt:
<B>I don't know why when someone is doing mounted combat, the steed never gets hit. This is ludicrous to me. The horse is a big target and should be easy to hit. Logic would dictate (a bit of Vulcan there) that you first take out the mount, and then the rider. Its lame to see palis and anti's (and even rangers) fighting mobs that hit like trucks and see every blow blocked by the steed. How about at least a change of the horse being killed?

Lyt</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave rangers off that list man. We can max mounted at 20, and trust me, that ain't gonna stop squat after level 30 mobs.

Twyl
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:23 pm

Well, I would think its assumed that the mounted person will use their skills to prevent the mob from wacking their horse. Maybe have a chance of the horse taking a -small- amount of damage during flank blocks, so that you have to at least armor the horse or check its health every now and then. But as for mobs switching to the horse, doesn't really make sense, since the tank is mounted and it protecting it already.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:28 pm

Actually on the Moonshae islands is a small boathouse with a sign stating that you can charter boats "COMING SOON" I don't know how many years that's been there though :)

Nokie Quickfingers!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lolok Frozencrow:
<B>top 10 ideas comming from Lolok/Pimnn's brain

Lolok/Pimnn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
Well, I would think its assumed that the mounted person will use their skills to prevent the mob from wacking their horse. Maybe have a chance of the horse taking a -small- amount of damage during flank blocks, so that you have to at least armor the horse or check its health every now and then. But as for mobs switching to the horse, doesn't really make sense, since the tank is mounted and it protecting it already.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even with a superior warrior/tank on a horse..his horse is still a very vurnerable and very easy to hit target. One leg hit, and that horse is out forever.
Best way to level the playing fields in a fight, is to take out the other guys horse.
Easy to hit, easy to maim/kill, and a good way to knock your opponent on his ass, if he doesnt get pinned in the process.
I would also say, anytime a spellcaster hits the mounted person with a spell, fireball, etc, the horse should take the damage as well.

Great tactic in dnd when fighting a bunch of knights, etc. Just toss a fireball at em, it'll nuke the horses, and the knights no longer can charge ya.

BTW: What is happening to the blow when it is blocked by a flank?
I would think that a dragon would tear a hunk outta that horse..but instead its deflected somehow. Not on armor or anything, just its skin?

Garosh

[This message has been edited by Garosh (edited 06-04-2001).]
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Jun 04, 2001 5:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Garosh:
<B>
BTW: What is happening to the blow when it is blocked by a flank?
I would think that a dragon would tear a hunk outta that horse..but instead its deflected somehow. Not on armor or anything, just its skin?

[This message has been edited by Garosh (edited 06-04-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the idea is that the horse is manuvered in such a way that the attacker cannot reach the rider. Its not that the horse is physically blocking the blow, like a shield. Does that make sense?

Izzy
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Mon Jun 04, 2001 6:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by izarek:
<B> I think the idea is that the horse is manuvered in such a way that the attacker cannot reach the rider. Its not that the horse is physically blocking the blow, like a shield. Does that make sense?

Izzy</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes some sense. But again, if it doesnt quite reach the rider, you take the hit on the easy to reach horse. And if thats the case, that should disengage the mounted person from combat if they are that far away.
I've just been a hard core gamer all my life, and have never heard of any such ability a horse would afford to match this.
Horses dont exactly backpedal very fast or gracefully...they dont 'step aside' too quickly. They can charge, and bash pretty good if trained.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jun 04, 2001 6:35 pm

True, but it is also a lot harder to hit someone riding a horse... which is probably what flank block is trying to simulate. Could have just as easily given a bonus to parry or AC I guess... but then it wouldn't have anything to do with skill and us rangers would be able to tank just as well as pallies wile riding a horse.

Sarvis
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jun 04, 2001 6:42 pm

It all comes down to how realistic you want it, versus playability. I think mounted combat gives pals/antis a real good place in the mud. The horse will be hurt by area effect spells as far as I know. Having it get killed in 1 or 2 hits from big mobs will negate all the benefits of mounted combat and leave the pals back where they were before. I don't think its worth destroying a major benefit of a class for added reality.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Mon Jun 04, 2001 7:31 pm

I believe that it's done this way to balance out mounted combat. Realistically, if the horse was getting hit constantly, it wouldn't be a skill that would be at all useful.

It's not perfect, logically, but it's a system that works OK, when the bugs aren't there.
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Mon Jun 04, 2001 7:57 pm

Going back to the carve stone skill for dwarves... daggers, arrows heads for ranger arrows (combined with ranger wood carve), axe blade, maybe some kinda newbie gear. Not much you could really make though, other than weapons... stone mug, skeleton keys (high percentage of breaking and/or not working) maybe... just trying to hash through some uses for the skill.

And yes, you can make small stone weapons pretty quickly if you know what you're doing.. it's called flint knapping. I made a stone dagger in about an hour, and an axe blade in about 2 hours before for my anthropology class... and man, they were sharp.

Ssarra

[This message has been edited by Ssarra (edited 06-04-2001).]
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Jun 04, 2001 8:48 pm

There's also the issue of mounts being coded not to fight now. Making horses get hit in combat would probably require them to be able to fight back again, something the gods decided to take out.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Jun 04, 2001 10:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Garosh:
<B> It makes some sense. But again, if it doesnt quite reach the rider, you take the hit on the easy to reach horse.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. I dont think you quite understood what I ment. The horse isnt physically blocking any shots. You're maneuvering the horse such that you're not reachable by your attacker. Picture yourself on the flank of a horse trying to hit the rider. The rider veers to one side (away from you) and suddenly you've got the horses stinky rump in front of you and the rider is a couple more feet away. That's how I picture the horse block. Admittedly this shouldnt work against big mobs (i.e. ogre and bigger) and I suppose that could be coded in like bash restrictions.

Izzy
Letat
Sojourner

Postby Letat » Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:38 pm

Concerning "mine":

Consider Ogre doorbash. I remember one specific eq run from Soj2 that regularly required the services of a level 1-3 ogre to doorbash into the room, as the door was locked, no key, no teleport, etc. Ogre would get squished, but rewarded for his sacrifice for the 30's and 40's doing the mob.

Mine might be similar. Much like doorbash, force the dwarf, as a function of the mine skill, to move into the room they are digging to. That way if there's an aggro over there, they get squished.

If one was still worried about twinkability, then set a level to the ability. I'm not sure if races can be assigned skills like classes are, but it could work that way.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri Jun 08, 2001 6:54 am

If you're looking to get past doors, bring a rogue. We're good at that sorta stuff. Also, mining isn't too feasible for buildings... It'd be kinda wack to mine through the floor trying to get one room over. You'd quite possibly end up a floor below where you actually want to be. Mining is also a multiple-person operation. Hope this doesn't come across as a flame or anything. Keep the ideas coming. I like the stone carving bit. I can just see myself waiting for the ferry after dying, making some daggers (throwing knives! It only makes sense, since rangers get to make arrows and whatnot), some really cool stone galoshes, a helmet... I'll get you, you slippery warg, oh yes. The day is mine!

- Grungar "It's WAY Past My Bedtime" Forgefire

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”