Bards - A proposal

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Eilorn
Sojourner

Bards - A proposal

Postby Eilorn » Thu Jun 21, 2001 2:25 am

The object of this note is to provide a framework on which to discuss the future character that will be bards on Sojourn. I did a search on the web site for 'bard' and read all notes that it returned. Then I made a compilation of all those comments on bards and sent it out to those who made the comments, and recompiled their replies into this. Contributers are at the bottom. NOTE: not all the bards that responded, agreed to everything here. Image NOTE2 my contribution to this was about 5%, mostly in gathering it into one place, most of the kudos belong to Caedym, and the other contributers.

How about letting us *HUM* from lvl-1 :-) At least we'd be good for something. Every other class is useful, practices some of their prime skills from level one. We get to 1h pierce for 50 hours until 10.

Give bards exp for singing during battle, not just singing healing.

Widen the amount of equipment we can wear. We have different eq needs from rogues. At least let us wear some(all?) mage eq, as we need the int/hp.

One oft mentioned change to bards was the ability to sing in combat, reasoning:

<IP>
"If you're attacking something, or being attacked, your focus is going to be on NOT DYING, not whether you're.." ..casting an intricate spell requiring complex hand gestures (like playing a lute or lyre), handling material components (like holding a flute), and reciting a series of difficult words (kinda like song lyrics)?
</IP>
<IP>
Now we know that mages and cleric types on Soj can cast even while tanking a mob, as long as they avoid the bash, they cast. At the very least it'd be nice if Bards could sing if in combat but not tanking or bashed.
</IP>
<IP>
...if you are singing while tanking/assisting, that you don't get any attacks, just like if you're chanting a spell. You can see the tank condition, etc. but you don't actually get to ATTACK.
</IP>

Instrument Commentary:

A useful way to improve bards would be to have better instruments. Ie, more instruments that plus skills, stats, and level of songs. Another improvement would be to have more unbreakable instruments. I know that on the higher levels you can play any song with a single instrument, but the songs are played best with their respected instrument.

Song Commentary:
<UL>[*]Lag after forgetting verse is horrible![*]I don't think I stuttered once, but, I forgot the song about 50% of the time. Lag is 3 combat rounds, and your group is halfway down the road .[*]Songs are many times only 1 verse long . (That is, you sing one verse and stop singing with the message: "You finish your song.")[*]Sometimes you'll quit singing, no message of any kind. This is really bad! Because there's no message, you might not notice you're not singing for some time. I would finally realize I wasn't singing and start singing thinking I'd missed a message. I didn't find out for sure, but, in hindsight, it seems like singing would quit with no message after multiple verses.
[/list]

Roller Commentary

How about getting a better roller for Bards? I'd rather have the rogue roller, or the invoker roller, it'd be easier to roll a good bard. We need good dex/int/char for instruments/songs/songs and we need con/agi to survive, str to carry our equipment (bards are mostly weak races).

New Skills:
<UL>[*]Kick[*]Backstab[*]Awareness[*]Evasion[*]Range Weapons - I'd argue that bards would be better at these than rogues: juggling is a prime skill of bards, and that kind of hand-eye coordination would naturally transfer to throwing weapons. And, how often do you read fantasy stories that feature dagger throwing bards? (Think Thom Merrilin from Robert Jordan"s "Wheel of Time" books) But, I'd be willing to give primacy in darts to rogues, if we could sing worth a darn.[*]Harmony - Multiple bards singing the same song sing in 'Harmony'. As a result, the song's effective level is raised by 5-10 levels, and each bard's individual chance of stutter is decreased by 50% (to offset the doubled chance of losing the Harmony to stutter by one bard). Mid level groups can sing fly sooner, and high level groups have a much greater chance of group haste effect from song plus doubly effective area healing.[*]pick lock[*]detect trap[*]disarm trap[*]disguise[*]metalhead (or, think of a better name :-) - a skill that allows a bard to stay in combat longer without losing concentration of his song[*]ACappela - a skill that allows the bard a greater success rate of being able to successfully sing his songs without an instrument in his hand[*]Entertain (circa 5th level) - With this skill, the bard uses any skills within their means to entertain the crowd. This skill could only be used a limited number of times per day (say 2 - 3 times) and a successful check would cause the bard to gain a small amount of coinage, dependant on their skill. There would also be a chance of a severe failure to entertain. In such circumstance the bard could suffer anything from having produce thrown at them, being robbed, or being jailed. This skill would rely on the bard's charisma and would be modified by the alignment of the town (wealth if possible) and whether or not they were in a tavern. Entertaining in a tavern would grant a higher chance of success, but a severe failure would result in the bard being tossed out by the bouncer for a full mud week.
[/list]

New Songs:
<UL>[*] Song of Sustenance - fills up the audience while sung (i.e. increases their fullness to max, over the course of verses, cessation of singing leaves them at the fullness level)[*] Song of disruption - This loud song involves a complex series of changes in tempo and themes, with alot of discordant notes thrown in. This song distracts the concentration of all listeners in the room, as they try to figure the song out. Thus, the spell has a chance to disrupt spellcasting, prayers and spell memorization in the area. Note that the discordant nature of this song can provoke aggressive action from those affected. This song requires the horn skill.

Yes, this effect is similar to the cleric spell silence, but it gives the bard another way to contribute to groups. Also, it could be further modified to be more of a wild-magic affecting song, which would play up the spell combinations features coming up in soj3. Eh, just an idea thrown out to enhance bards.
[/list]

Modified Bard Songs

<UL>[*]Song of Healing –
Have strength also dependant on how high the Bard’s Charisma is, and if Good Aligned
Just allow the Heals to be handled like a cleric’s Vitality spells instead, allowing bards to
pump players for One extra verse worth of HPs beyond their HP maximum
(Note that this would be significantly less then any clerical Vits)
...one possible improvement to this song would be to have it cure blindness, curse, poison etc as another side effect. [*]Song of Revelation –
At 45th level also grants Farsee[*]Song of Flight –
Increase move Vig amount per verse – its pretty puny even at high levels
and allow to work like healing above but for moves instead
up to one verse worth past max a players maximum move limit [*]Song of Charm –
Allow Bard to Charm the Bard’s level in mob levels but no mob level can
ever exceed the bard’s current level
A 50th Bard can Charm 49 1st level mobs Or 1 49th level mob[*]Song of Sleep –
Make this song into a lullaby and therefor not an aggressive skill
combine the effects of Song of Forgetfulness with this song
...it needs to work on higher level mobs for it to be of any use.[*]Song of Peace - this song could be very useful, if it worked with a greater success rate on higher level mobs

... changing it to(or adding this as affects) increasing the regen of those in the room, and enhancing meditation. Thus, warriors could sleep, while spellslingers mem, all at an increased rate. It would be really nice if this were effective from early on, as it would probably help lower levels more.[*]Song of Forgetfulness
See Song of Sleep Above[*]Song of Calming –
At 40th also causes effects similar to Slowness even if mob is not calmed
Some problems I found with it was that only some of the players fighting would be stopped while others continued to fight. This caused problems because it ended up with the mages tanking sometimes. A possible solution would be for the song to stop all spell casting in the room. As well, for the song to work better on higher level mobs.[*]Song of Cowardice –
At 35th level also causes Fear – mob flees for duration, then returns once it wears off
A possible upgrade to this song would be for it to slow mobs. Another major problem with this song is that it is aggro. I know that it affects mobs in a negative manner, but being aggro to the mob right away takes away the effects of the song. This makes the song basically useless.[*]Song of Harm –
Have strength also dependant on how low the Bard’s Charisma is and if Evil Aligned
At 45th also causes effects similar to Ray of Enfeeblement as well as damage
This song is a cool idea, but it doesn’t hurt the mob for very much. As well, each time you play a verse of the song you become engaged with that mob, even if you aren’t tanking. Some possible solutions would be for it to hit for more hpts, or to have other effects such as temporarily poisoning the mob or withering it.[*]Song of Protection –
Effects below are cumulative with the existing ones
At 35th + missile shield
At 40th + minor globe Duration = 1 Round of Attacks only
Some other ways to improve it would be to have it protect against fire, lightning, cold etc. [*]Song of Rage New Song –
Below effects are cumulative, so a 39th bard’s Rage song grants +5Str and +5Con
At 20-29th level bestows +5str
At 30-39th level bestows +5con
At 40-44th level bestows +5Max_str
At 45-49th+ level bestows +5Max_con
At 50+ level bestows +Berserker Rage
Berserker Rage = Work this just like the old berserker class ability ‘berserk’ including
the inability to FLEE, auto randomly attack uncontrolled mobs when not engaged
in combat, and also disallow ANY PLAYER or FOLLOWER the ability to cast spells
The Berserker Rage aspect would have zero effect on any mobs to prevent abuse
This includes pets. Don’t have the IS_PLAYER flag, sorry no dice
This song would of course be aggressive to mobs

Contributers(forgive me if I've left you out, email me and I'll correct it):
<UL>[*]Caedym - 90%[*]Kobei[*]Mplor[*]Tsaej[*]Izarek[*]Cherza[*]Moritheil[*]Jegzed[*]Trewe[*]Artikerus[*]Yarthra
[/list]

[This message has been edited by Eilorn (edited 06-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Eilorn (edited 06-20-2001).]
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Jun 21, 2001 2:39 am

I also think it would be cool if there were a song that would make people mem spells faster.

... I just noticed that you already addressed this idea with a modification to song of sleep!

Regarding your idea on song of charm. I disagree with being able to charm any high level mobs. As a bard on duris with charm working on higher level mobs, it was way too abusable and from using it in that way on Duris, they had to remove it. I don't think it's wise to allow any class to charm high level mobs.

-Nokie Quickfingers!

[This message has been edited by Nokie (edited 06-20-2001).]
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:17 am

Hrm, somehow, I just don't see backstab fitting in to the bard skill pantheon. Pick lock, detect trap, and disarm trap are iffy, as well. Adding those would be encroaching too much on rogue territory, methinks. Disguise would be ok, I think in fitting with the scope of bards. I can see bards travelling from land to land in disguise, learning the lore of new places, etc. Willing suspension of disbelief and all aside, I don't much see how a song could provide sustenance for people. Intellectual and emotional stimulation, sure, but actual physical sustenance, I don't much see.

Aside from all those, I'm all for having some spiffy bards again. Ideas sound groovy, and keep up the good work. Quest for songs! Yeah, quest for songs, that'd be something that'd be pretty neat. I hear the bards of so and so have a song that's so demoralizing to those that hear it, they lose all will to fight, drop their weapons, and walk off. My brain is dead, so I can't do much thinkin. I should stop typing, shouldn't I? Yes, yes I should.

- Grungar "My Falsetto is Terrible. Your What is Terrible??" Forgefire
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:54 am

have you ever seen how many Hps a 49th level mob has? have you seen how many hps a mob 1/2 that level has? I dont think charm should work much better then it is now..
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:23 pm

I like most of the song ideas... as its pretty ovbious that bards need some MAJOR help in their current state. As for skills, I don't think backstab is necessary.

I think bards should be allowed to use ANY eq as long as they fit the align/rage restrictions of the eq.. they shouldn't be subjected to the class restrictions. Would be a nice unique perk to the class.
Kick.. yes
Awareness.. yes
Escape.. maybe
Ranged weps.. maybe with a low skill cap
Pick locks.. yes (lower cap than rogue)
Detect/Disarm traps.. yes (lower cap than rogue)

I like the idea for the harmony skill also, and that 'metalhead' skill to let them sing while engaged in combat. As you said, they should be allowed to engage, but just can't attack while singing.
Rymbie
Sojourner

Postby Rymbie » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:40 pm

Wow, some great ideas!

I especially like the 'entertain' skill...would give bards some more stuff to do other than sing heal for hours on end at the fountain when they can't find a group. Good way to earn some extra cash on the side, and adds a bit more RP to the class. Image

As for some of the other proposed skills/changes, IMHO:

Kick -- yessiree!
Ranged combat -- sure, but make their skill cap lower than rogues
Evasion -- definitely
Harmony -- great idea
Pick lock, Disguise, Metalhead -- would be good additions

The song revamps are great as well, though I'd have to agree with Nokie on the charm thing. A 49th level mob would be too uber.

Hmm...maybe add trip instead of kick? But again, make their skill cap lower than rogues.

In any case, I'm sure we'll see a lot of good upgrades to bards in the near future, since the gods are working hard on the code right now. Can't wait to see what they come up with. Image

Rymbie/Shyarn
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Thu Jun 21, 2001 1:07 pm

I don't know if you mentioned this but I'd like to see bards continue to follow the group leader around after a stutter/forget.

Whenever I lead around a bard I always seem to leave them behind.

Could this be the first adjustment to the class?

"Ok guys rest for moves... Hey bard where'd you go?"
"You left me behind"
That gets annoying.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:39 pm

Quite a few of the things you mentioned have already been added, and lots of changes that you don't know about. I've got a fair amount of the bard changes done now, still doing balance testing, and adding a few new skills/songs/etc to make them cooler before releasing to the main mud.

Patience :)

-Gargamel

------------------
-----
Gargauth the Outcast
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:51 pm

sweet! Image
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Jun 26, 2001 8:18 am

Thank you Eilorn for contacting everyone, under Toril’s Moon, stars, and Sun. Especially those who contributed to these things I’ve just read. I’d just like to clarify a few things that were said.

I personally don’t agree with giving bards backstab. I’m against this notion, for it is a fluid motion is best left to the rogue/assassin drab.

I abhor any change to bards equipment and supplies. That was one of the best things about them, and did a lot to save my lives. Being a class where you could wear all things allowed, talk about being RP endowed.

Nokie, I recall what you said about the Bard, on that OTHER mud I’ll try to remember, but not too hard. How Charm was too unruly to use very wisely, and I agree if I had THEY’RE Charm here, I’d be despised very highly. Let me just explain to everyone what it was that I REALLY wanted to done. I wanted to walk into Splint Shield one day, Charm 5 Elites and 30 Orcs for a WD play. To run my own little RP event, think of all the work Cyric wouldn’t need to have spent. Although my persuasion, I was never involved in any RP Invasions before, cuz well, as far as I know Soj2 didn’t have them no more. Sue me for wanting to do it myself. *smirk* Actually I did this one night with Qualith’s help. I welled over 60 mobiles into WaterDeep’s walls, course they were 0 level squirrels, bats and squalls. But it was cool dragging 3 pages of spam around through the streets as I can. If only I could have left them to run and WANDER - an orcish blanket you couldn’t escape from under. Perhaps one day I could those Orcs, those crazy fat ugly unbearded dwarfs. Then you would see, how much fun it would be, when Caedym’s Horde comes to visit thee.

I think Shevy got jealous of the fun we were having, people doing hitall’s and areas for bragging. In a flash of light and a swirling gay mist, he said, “Say goodbye to your friends” with a kiss. He mighta summoned me back a few times, was it once or twice?, I can’t remember the line, but I managed to walk away with two mice of mine! To this day he thinks he’s won, but I still know where those two gerbils have gone, and I’m not telling anyone!

I was a big supporter of RP events, and trying to organize them, my all the time that I spent. 90% fell flat on their face, amounting to JACK SQUAT, such a disgrace. A sad day when the Bard Hall was out like the rest, that was my favorite place to hang out, to hell with the rest. I doubt you would partake in any of my quests, any more then the other 95% have been my guest. Take it easy bud, I mean you no harm, it’s just a bummer, a sad thing, the whole deal about Charm. When it comes to Un-God sponsored events, people on Sojourn just don’t give two cents. Just an example to ask yourself one thing, “Gee wiz, should I do vault OR try Caedym’s thing?” You can count on one hand how many people get involved. Not God-sponsored, sorry, your riddles go unsolved.

Grungar, I think you got the idea all wrong, it was to keep you from getting You Are Hungry and Thirsty ONLY during the song.

Hyldryn, about bards sputtering and stuttering and being left behind – GREAT POINT! I couldn’t agree with you more on this line.

And the one post Eilorn forgot to include, not to worry dude, he’s just forgetful, not rude…

/
ASCERTAIN
Applied skill.

Syntax: Ascertain <item>
Aggressive: No
Class/Level: Bard 15th

This skill allows a bard to call upon his worldly knowledge while
handling an item to ascertain its place of origin. Successful use of
the skill will designate from which lands the desired item originated,
failure meaning an error has been incorporated into the calculations
and the wrong lands identified as the source. Increased skill ability
allows for more powerful magical items to be identified, as well as
higher chances of successful identification.
\
-Coder Notes-
(This skill can be based on the same names mortals already see for zones
Under the ‘world zones’ command. There could also be a small
percentage chance that each failure could result in a false reading,
whereupon the character gets a random zone name plugged into
a successful reading.
Note: NO Zone Numbers, ONLY the name.
Give this command a slight delay, similar to room “search”ing.)
\
Attempting Skill Scripting
(to player)
You attempt to divine what lands <item> heralds from.
(other players)
<player> begins pondering deeply over <item> as <he/she> handles it.
\
Success Skill Use, or False Reading Scripting
(to player)
You believe <item> was forged in the lands of <zone name>.
(other players)
<player> gains a twinkle in <his/her> eye as <he/she> looks at <item>.
\
Failure Scripting
(to player)
You are unable to ascertain from which lands <item> originated.
(other players)
<player> appears befuddled on the origins of <item>.

Caedym Shadowhock (No not a hawk like the bird or it’s kin, and NOT a loogie you’d spit at a friend. Hock, as in retail, in the shadows and darkness I did sell, from the back of a wagon it fell! Put it together you get Black Market.. Yes it’s appropriate you stinking admin, have you ever caught me selling to trolls yet? WELL THEN!!)
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:00 am

I like it. Someone who can tell what zone an item came from. Very cool. Very bardish! Implement if possible. Image

Vipplin/Vadian
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:33 am

I like the some of the ideas mentioned here, and some ideas I find it compleetly bad. I hope great ideas will be made avaible fast for a bard.

great ideas:
- Disguise
- Ascertain

good ideas:
- Awareness
- Evasion

bad ideas:
- pick lock
- detect trap
- disarm trap

The bad ideas, are compleetly bad, why take a rogue with you? a bard just needs a few more lockpicks and it removed the unique ability from the rogues.

It would also be more then nice if the bards get the old restrictions again of item restrictions. They can't be much unbalanced this way, becouse of they's lack of fighting powers, and most hp equipment got alignment restrictions.

[This message has been edited by silvea (edited 06-26-2001).]
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Wed Jun 27, 2001 6:05 pm

I think the post you did is great Eilorn; only thing I disagree with are the skills of Kick, Backstab, other things I could see possible happening.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2001 10:46 pm

For the record (so you can quit bringing it up)...

Bards will in _NO_ way get backstab. Move on. :)

-Gargamel

------------------
-----
Gargauth the Outcast
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gargamel:
<B>For the record (so you can quit bringing it up)...

Bards will in _NO_ way get backstab. Move on. Image

-Gargamel

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just out of curiosity, but would disguise allow a Good Bard to enter an Evil hometown and hang out? If so, for exactly how long would this transpire? If I coulda walked into ghore as a half-elf bard with disguise on, that would be kinda fun. Talk about the trading possibilities.. well back then I mean. Yes I do think disguise would need to fall once you enter combat.

Naa Gargasmell, I wouldn't want Backstab on a bard anyways. That's totally not them.

As for Steal and Pick, ditto.

I'm kinda on a toss up about giving them a kick action. Hrmm, shrug, I dunno.

But I DO think it would be pretty darn rad if Bards could make up their OWN versus for songs, or select the default ones. Something as easily editable as your personal description. Why would anyone select the default lines of text then? Well beyond being lazy about the whole matter you ask? Well give a redraft on the default text and add some spiffy ANSI COLOR. I remember doing a post with all the default done out in appropriate colors, as well as updating the text, before. I'll see if I can dig that back up. And if you made up your own lines, well you'd get NO ANSI.

Shrug, just a re-occurring thought.

Azrasmell

"I'm the CAT!! I'm the CAT!! That's MY MONEEEEEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! I WROTE THAT POEM!!"
-Ren from the Ren & Stimpy Show
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Wed Jul 04, 2001 2:59 pm

Yeah bards need an improvement.

Going to start another thread about it in Feedback.

-Jaz

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”