Shipping Technologies

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Thalor
Sojourner

Shipping Technologies

Postby Thalor » Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:42 am

I think the time has finally come that the gods grant those that craft ships and those that man them the gift of improved sails and navigation techniques so that these vessels can travel faster.

The slowness of ships serves little purpose in my mind -- it's simply a waiting game..and not one of those fun waiting games either. =P You wait for the ship to arrive (which takes 24 mins if you miss some boats, like the Silver Lady. Then you wait another 10 or 15 minutes for it to arrive at its destination. That's up to 40 minutes spent just idling away waiting for a ship, and I see no possible way that this can be fun, or challenging...or anything that could improve gameplay.

My request/idea is that the slowness of ships be reviewed, and adjusted accordingly. And perhaps have more than one ship of equal speed run the same routes but at different times.

Thanks! =)

-Thalor *twibbles away waiting to CR his corpse at 1 a.m.*

(Hope that made sense...I'm tired =P)
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Jul 25, 2001 6:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thalor:
<B>-Thalor *twibbles away waiting to CR his corpse at 1 a.m.*
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Criminy... again?!

Twyl
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Jul 25, 2001 7:27 am

Well it is realistic... I mean if it went faster we might as well call it 'airplane'... I can see it now:

The town crier shouts 'Flight 381 to Calimport departs at southern Waterdeep airport at 1800 folks!'

Then when you board it, you're spammed with

Your plane flies south.
Your plane flies south.
Your plane flies east.
Your plane flies east.
Your plane flies south.
Your plane flies east.
Your plane flies south.

In 10 seconds Image

Seriously most ships come and go with 20-40 minute intervals, which is pretty fast if you think about it. Walking is usually faster (IF you have fly eq), but by what other means would you get to BG, scorn or CP if you are naked and can't make the walk?
Azralek Silvermist
Sojourner

Postby Azralek Silvermist » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:47 pm

In the Case of WD and BG
Technically speaking since both cities are along the coast. NO way you should be able to run there in 1\10th the time it takes the ship to sail there.
However some places you dont have the option of walking. and a unavoidable 40 mins of doing nothing bites. I am all in favor of faster ships or more ships on the route.
Azralek Silvermist
Sojourner

Postby Azralek Silvermist » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:50 pm

Uh come on twyl we are taking about thalor here.

fol thalor = +50% chance of death
group thalor = +15% chance of death
l thalor = +10% chance of death

thalor = 110% chance of death

Azralek Silvermist

Disclaimer: the above i completely fictional and any resemblance to elves either living or dead is purely coincidental.
Tzat
Sojourner

Postby Tzat » Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:26 pm

Yeah! make ships instant, then implement the duris map so we can run anywhere in the game in 3 seconds!

Hehe, waiting for ships is annoying sometimes...maybe they could be a bit faster..i mean, sure, taking a boat should probably be faster than walking, but having instant transport all over the place isnt good.
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Fri Jul 27, 2001 2:08 am

Could always just leave their speed alone and add more than 1 ship/ferry on particularly long routes, staggered of course.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Fri Jul 27, 2001 7:11 am

I support the extra ships on long routes idea. I wouldn't mind if they moved a little faster, too.

They should also move faster if you're naked and/or bribe Image

Captain: My goodness, son, you're naked! You must be on a CR! Open all the sails!

You: Indeed I am, and here's 50 p for your trouble.

Captain opens trapdoor
Captain yells down: Hey, bring up the druid for a control weather spell, we're getting paid for this one! Gimme some wind, dammit!

Vadian

[This message has been edited by Vipplin (edited 07-27-2001).]
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jul 27, 2001 7:41 am

You know... that gives me an idea! How about make it so we can speed ships up a little by casting control weather and making it windier?

Sarvis
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Jul 27, 2001 7:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vipplin:
[B]
Captain: My goodness, son, you're naked!

Captain opens trapdoor

Captain yells down:
B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Men! I know you've been at sea for months and haven't had any in all that time! I have something for you!"

A roar rises up from below.

A bunch of mean-looking rough sailors run up to the deck, start leering at you and argue over "who goes first".

You gulp.

Cherzra "naked CR on a boat? I'll walk Image"
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Fri Jul 27, 2001 9:29 am

No offense, Cherzra, but I don't think a naked troll will have that problem Image

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”