Vital strike

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Vital strike

Postby Tilandal » Mon Aug 13, 2001 8:51 pm

Since rogues get vital strike I think It would be cool if it also worked with darts something like

Your dart strikes a commoner in the knee. He stumbles and falls.

Any feedback on this?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 13, 2001 10:10 pm

Heh, after reading the ranger post on 'called shots' I was wondering how long it would be before the idea to increase the effectiveness of vital strike was introduced. This is something I should probably stay hush on, since I really like my class, even with any downfalls it might have, and I think we do an amazing amount of damage already if we're dressed to the nines and work our skills right.

The only thing I wish I could see on vital strike, and I know it's just a silly dream, is a wider range of areas of the body hit. I'm 30th, just got the skill, so I've just started taking notice of it. Do we ever hit a body part besides the side? I know that's a great kidney shot, but surely a belly cut or groin slice would serve nicely as well. I'm not talking about a called shot, no extra damage, no special effect besides the one we already get.

Is there a way to randomize several different emotes for an effect like this? Players do it with their crit triggers, but I know that's a whole different ball of wax. I have no idea how things like this affect the mud's resources, so it might very well be a rather silly idea.

Just a little nimblefinger's idle daydreaming.

=Ashiwi drifts off into pleasant dreams of vicious groin shots.=
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:06 am

I remember suggesting this before and getting many angry tells from rangers. My suggestions were to have rarer and more powerful vital strike attacks that would happen sparingly. For instance-

A stabwound to the eye would be blindness.
A slice to your foe's throat would yield silence.
A knifing of their hand would cause them to drop anything they were holding.
A lucky strike to a nerve center would cause paralysis or death.

I also think that the vital strike should not work on anything without an anatomy. I laughed long and hard when I stabbed the tree of death in the belly and he crumbled to his knees. Thus, golems, slimes, and other far fetched creatures would be immune, including incorporeal foes.

Yayaril
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:51 am

I don't remember shooting down that idea... hrm. Image

Actually I would think the mages would be more upset than the rangers... wouldn't need them to blind, silence or paralyze anymore. *shrug*

Although, slicing the throat wouldn't result in silence, it would result in death... and you guys used to have that skill, assassinate. Not sure why it was gotten rid of. Useless because of rarity? Or overpowered? *shrug* Vital Strike seems better to me even as is.

Sarvis
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:12 am

i like vital strike.

althoug being an orc with 50 int it doesnt hit even half as much as the drow rogues but it's got dat cool message.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:26 am

Personally, I like vital strike just the way it is...

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:18 am

I think all the rogues level 30 and above enjoy vital strike- but it would be neat if it had more variety than knife to the belly. I forgot who shot down this idea before, but they wrote a funny post about how rangers should get 3rd circle inferno and such. I laughed.

Yayaril
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:27 am

I think it would be cool if there were different messages for it, at least. There should be more than one organ you can stab Image

As for eyes, etc., I though vital strike had to do with knowledge of the body? It doesn't take a genius to target the eyes/throat. I'd get a kick out of different organs getting skewered.

I don't hear anyone saying that rogues don't do enough damage, though, so I wouldn't recommend a new super-vital-strike with more damage/death. On the other hand, if the current damage was downgraded so that the combined normal and super vital strikes would equal the same average damage over time, it wouldn't bother me (or anyone else I assume).
Laxlez
Sojourner

Postby Laxlez » Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:07 pm

I'd enjoy Vital Strike.. if I could actually get one.. I spent an hour last night fighting everything in sight after getting 30 so that I could feel the coolness of vital striking (yes, i practiced it).. But it never went off.. Might have something to do with my 40 int.. Image
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:42 pm

I have an 83 natural int, wanted a char I could explore with besides all the other wonderfully fun things I could do with a rogue (I'll just dream of that 'knife to the groin' thing for now). In the 50% exp I've gained since getting 30th, I've landed three vital strikes. I'm not sure just how much int affects the skill.
Any feedback on this from other rogues?
Aderon
Sojourner

Postby Aderon » Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:44 pm

I have an idea! Lets give rogues an instant kill skill... oh wait they have one. Rogues are fine how they are, stop being rediculous. There are always rogues with me. They rock!

Aderon
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:10 pm

Well, this post is easy to respond to.
Don't give rogues ANYTHING extra. They are plenty powerful enough.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Judrat
Sojourner

Postby Judrat » Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:47 pm

hm, vital strikes occurred infrequently when i achieved level 30 .. after that though, the rate has been progressing nicely Image it happens a lot for me now :P
i should modify belle's combat statistics so that i also calculate vital strikes as a percentage of my crits.. hmm.

Also, dwarf rogues are the best. everyone thinks it's the halflings..but that's not true.

they're short. and their feet are furry.

[This message has been edited by Judrat (edited 08-14-2001).]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:26 pm

Elves rule, dwarves drool.
It's just the basic facts of life.
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tilandal:
<B>Since rogues get vital strike I think It would be cool if it also worked with darts something like

Your dart strikes a commoner in the knee. He stumbles and falls.

Any feedback on this?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it were any more than fancy ansi, I'd be upset. We dont need anything.

I even feel that rogues need nothing more than a token ranged skill. No rogue needs to vital strike anything with throwing weapons.

We are absolutely perfectly balanced as we are right now.

Nitania

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”