Area Making

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Lolok Frozencrow
Sojourner

Area Making

Postby Lolok Frozencrow » Sat Aug 18, 2001 5:03 pm

I was just wondering is there is a place I could learn how to write, and learn the process of how to write new areas. My Idea is that if you had a bit of your bbs set aside for discusion and help on making areas for sojourn , that peoples creative juices might begin to flow. The reason I ask this is because I have several Ideas about areas of the mud I think need improvement and ideas about area stuff in general and have no outlet for this.

thanks
L ImageL ImageK
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Sat Aug 18, 2001 10:59 pm

What I'd like to see is a set of web pages devoted to showing some examples of the process. I'm just a visual kind of person...

Izzy
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Aug 18, 2001 11:59 pm

It would be neat if Waterdeep were revamped and expanded to be as big as it is in the Forgotten Realms world. That's probably not possible, so perhaps as big as Baldur's Gate will suffice.

Yayaril
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:30 am

www.circlemud.org

there are links there to resources on world building. basically what you need is an idea or theme, imagination and a thesaurus.

i've built about 50 areas for other zones, prob over 5k rooms total. it's very fun, but also VERY frustrating and will take the fun out of the game quickly.

it's hard to describe. rewarding, yet damning.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Aug 20, 2001 6:47 am

I'll talk to Cyric about it...I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to set up a page.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Tue Aug 21, 2001 5:38 am

oof trying making zones for muds that stay up for about a month, now thats frustrating

------------------
Thurg, Zossonnarr, Gramordeus, Zanzor, Zhaxilor, Krondal
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thurg:
<B>oof trying making zones for muds that stay up for about a month, now thats frustrating

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been there, done that. So much wasted time... sigh.

Twyl
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:35 am

agreed, now i just play and hope not to die

------------------
Thurg, Zossonnarr, Gramordeus, Zanzor, Zhaxilor, Krondal
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:09 pm

Well, not sure about creating an online creation guideline. The system we've been using works as follows:

1. You come up with an idea and email me a brief synopsis at roysoto@yahoo.com

2. Assuming it doesn't suck too badly I direct you to the URL for our areas creation documents/tools and the rest is up to you

The areadocs are about 100 pages long and a bit tough to slog through, but they're very thorough...the area creation tool we use (TE) makes life very easy, and someone is apparently working on a graphical mud creator for us, although I'm not holding my breath.

R

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”