Possible arena changes

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Galorion
Sojourner

Possible arena changes

Postby Galorion » Sat Sep 22, 2001 8:38 pm

After playing around in the arena for a while (and having fun for the most part), I think that there are a couple of things that need to be toned down: backstab and stun spells.

Since spell damage is toned down in the arena, it's kinda unfair that rogues can kill people in one backstab. Also, power word stun was making it nearly impossible for me to do anything. Even with a save spell of -15, I never saved successfully and the stun duration is so long that I wound up just running around waiting for stun to wear off 80% of the time I was in the arena.

Other than those two things, it was great fun Image.
Lolok Frozencrow
Sojourner

Postby Lolok Frozencrow » Sun Sep 23, 2001 1:00 pm

In addition to those good ideas, nature areas would be great. Also there are 4 zonlets in acheron if I am right, why not make one for level 20-29 one for 30-39 and combine the others for all levels Image.

L ImageL ImageK
Anaram
Sojourner

Postby Anaram » Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:58 am

Try to keep in mind that Power word stun is the only way invokers can have a chance against bashers. Unless we can stun and open up a can, we don't stand a chance.

If this is toned down, I don't think you will see invokers winning many arena battles.

MHO
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Mon Sep 24, 2001 2:10 am

Well, right now other spellcasters have no way to win against invokers because the stun always hits and lasts so long. At least when I pwb a mage, they can flee and dispel it.
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:09 pm

Oh, another bug I've found - if you are trying to flee before you die in the arena and then die, you will flee once outside - which can be bad, especially in the UM portal.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:20 pm

Nokie's wish list:

Completely save the players state & eq before entering such that when they exit or die, their entire stats and eq is restored to what it was beforehand.

This has the following advantages:

1) If you fumble your weapon or some lamer dustdevils it, when you exit, you have your weapon back, and when they exit, they don't have your weapon anymore, so no cloning

2) It sucks to go in at full hps and to 'leave' with like 80 hps from the 'fake' dmg you took while in the arena. You have to get healed up from fake dmg you took in the arena to play in the 'real' mud again.

3) Yucky spell effects that linger AFTER you leave the arena (like the ones that continue to deliver dmg over a certain amout of time) will no longer have the chance to kill you for real.

4) Mages won't have to re-mem spells

5) Hitters wont have to wait around for 15 RL minnutes to heal up before going back in.

-

Okie, before you say, "But then people can just exit/die and go back in fully restored!

No so, simply implement a timer such that you cannot re-enter the arena after death for x-number of minutes. As it is right now, people can jump back in (even at low hps) and re-engage the wounded person who just killed them. For a caster or rogue, the low hps may not be as big an issue for delivering a big punch of dmg to finish the person off.

I don't know the technical limitations behind the idea of fully saving and restogin a pfile before/after the arena, but I think it would solve most of the problems we have today, and in addition, a way to prevent people from jumping back in right away will deflect any side effects from a full pfile restore.

Thanks for your time!

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:30 pm

Ohh another idea! This might be a better solution:

Have the arena work in 'matches':

By that I mean, for a set period of time before a 'match', people can enter the arena or a staging area (staging area would be peace or something like a hostel). After that 'entry' period, the arena becomes locked and those that are stages are then transed to the actual fighting arena or are able to enter on their own...

Then, the actual arena match lasts x-number of minutes. During that time no one else can enter the arena. After the time is up, everyone is removed from the arena, completely restored to how they were before.

I *think* another mud had an arena set up like this but can't recall.

What do you think?

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Have the arena work in 'matches':

By that I mean, for a set period of time before a 'match', people can enter the arena or a staging area (staging area would be peace or something like a hostel). After that 'entry' period, the arena becomes locked and those that are stages are then transed to the actual fighting arena or are able to enter on their own...

Then, the actual arena match lasts x-number of minutes. During that time no one else can enter the arena. After the time is up, everyone is removed from the arena, completely restored to how they were before.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this would be cool if it was done in PART of the arena. The arena has 4 grids right now, only one of which is ever used. You could easily have one of the 4 zones be timed events while allowing free for alls in the other zones so people don't have to sit around waiting Image.

It would also be neat to have timed events for both teams and individuals. For team events, you could have a set # of rooms and when someone enters, they're randomly assigned a room. Each room is a team and members are automatically grouped together. It would be cool to fight with random people on your team each time.

Another interesting way to do team events would be to set it up like is often done on public basketball courts - two teams fight it out, winner stays and the next waiting team fights the winner.
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nokie:
<B>
1) If you fumble your weapon or some lamer dustdevils it, when you exit, you have your weapon back, and when they exit, they don't have your weapon anymore, so no cloning
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some Lamer!? I gave it back! Image

True though, I totally agree with this.

------------------
Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nokie:
<B>Ohh another idea! This might be a better solution:

Have the arena work in 'matches':

Then, the actual arena match lasts x-number of minutes. During that time no one else can enter the arena. After the time is up, everyone is removed from the arena, completely restored to how they were before.

I *think* another mud had an arena set up like this but can't recall.

What do you think?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
that would be GenoMUD :P
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:58 pm

And on the timed matches, then what...
Round robin? Tournaments?
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:30 pm

I posted this elsewher emy bad :P
1) inferno should not effect after you die and leave, it does
2) any stun, shaman, bash etc, should not effect after die and leave, it does

3) pws is !fail, a 38 lvl voker can stun me at lvl 49 with -42 ss *cough* needs tweaked :P

4) shaman stun, is just nuts

5) pws should stun hitters so they are stuned for a few rounds long enough for casters to get off a spell :P *whistle*

6)You should leave with full hp when you die. going back in half healed is chalenging but not as fun:P ok maybe add a time limit before you can enter again...drow regen sucks :P

7)casting times for offensive spells should be faster, being that the damage was downgraded, casting a 3-5* fm is not fun vs a hitter, especialy when doing half the damage

8_ will think of more latter

PS> I have heard lots of people say -20 ss is the best you can have with any effect something about code stoping any more that 20 having any effect, can a god clarify for me? if so whats the point of having -21 or more ss? thanks

kinda in hury will fix it latter but here basicaly :P
zipalodok
Sojourner

Postby zipalodok » Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:16 am

yea i agree with the come back in fully healed thing i dont like to heal 20 people Image and vit Image, but suggestion to make people not use it to heal them self's is not be able to enter arena unless you got full health, i dont see the big thing about stun probaly cuzz i can actually use a unholy word spell, since its instant cast Image and cant be killed by one backstab to many hps, but damn nokie and assasination! and damn goodies that arent really goodies! *cough neutral basterds*, but here it is mud is group based so fightin in arena in true form would be with a group Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:11 pm

(stun does not save vs. spells)

- Ragorn

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”