Name completion?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Vylare
Sojourner

Name completion?

Postby Vylare » Sat Nov 03, 2001 1:27 am

I don't know if this has ever been brought up before, but it surely would be handy Image

For those who don't know, name completion is when you can type the first few letters of the name of an object or mob, and the mud completes it for you, so instead of telling vylare (whatever) you could tell vy (whatever).

I know there is tab completion in zmud, but a. not everyone runs zmud, b. some people mud from work without access to a client and c. no one is going to be able to alias every mob, object and pc in the game and e. this is a fairly standard feature on most muds and might help assist the mud in becoming more newbie friendly Image
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Sat Nov 03, 2001 2:38 am

Welcome to Sojourn 3.... The Millie Machine!

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Nov 03, 2001 3:20 pm

shift-tab.

If you don't use zmud, that's your own choice.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sat Nov 03, 2001 3:47 pm

That is a great idea IMHO.

Vadian
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Nov 03, 2001 4:07 pm

By the way, you'll have to show me those muds where that is implemented.

When you press tab, nothing happens until you also send the carriage return/line feed. Therefore, if you want the mud to do your autocompletion, you will have to press tab, press enter, have your text sent to the mud and wait for a response. Then, you will have to find some way of pasting the string that is returned into your mud client's input field. Impossible as far as I can tell, especially with telnet, which is the reason you wanted it I believe, and probably slower than typing it yourself or having your own client do it. The only way it _could_ work is if the word that is to be completed is also the last one one the line you are sending, since there is no need for the returning string then.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 11-03-2001).]
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Nov 03, 2001 4:30 pm

Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Sat Nov 03, 2001 4:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>shift-tab.

If you don't use zmud, that's your own choice.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I tried to point out, it's not necessarily your own choice. People who mud from work and/or computer labs are often not allowed to install programs.
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Sat Nov 03, 2001 4:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
By the way, you'll have to show me those muds where that is implemented.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a stock feature on Rom, and also on Smuag. Meaning there is nothing to implement, it comes with the code base. Probably other code bases as well, though I am not sure. I'll have to log onto a circle and see...hrmm. Stock envy does not come with it, but most envy muds have imped it, because ..well, because it's a standard mud feature. *shrug*
9 out of 10 muds have it. Go to the mud connector and pick one at random (any diku base, lp I have *no* idea about) and it'll be there.
Lensmoor.org 3500 is one I know the addy to off the top of my head.
This is one of the things mentioned in the last (official) review of Sojourn on the Mud Connector. Seems if feedback was asked for, it would be at least considered. Shrug.

[This message has been edited by Vylare (edited 11-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Vylare (edited 11-03-2001).]
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Nov 03, 2001 10:57 pm

I'll look into it, but no promises. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Nov 03, 2001 11:00 pm

I'll look into it, but no promises. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sun Nov 04, 2001 12:41 pm

Just to clarify, Cherzra, I think the way it works is:

To kill archeologist...

KILL ARCH

You barely slash an archeologist.

You needn't be waiting for anything from the mud. The only disadvantage would be is if you tried to abbreviate and picked the wrong target by accident.

Vadian

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”