Wobb
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Oct 30, 2001 2:48 am

Agreed!
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:49 am

Agreed. As well as when Silence Person drops.

Glorishan
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Oct 30, 2001 8:26 am

Maybe they should report their hitpoints every other round too.

A fiery rhemoraz says 'I have 3212/16039 hp, 140/140mv'.

Stupid idea.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:07 am

Message when blind is out is a good idea. I think it would be pretty damn obvious. They stop stumbling, start dodging, actually LOOK at you...

Silence out? How on earth would you know? I think that message is already in...

A Battle-Mage starts casting a spell called 'Incendiary Cloud'

Vadian

P.S. The hit point reporting is a great idea, Cherzra! It wouldn't work when they were silenced, unfortunately. Maybe when they get critted have them say, 'OUCH! You just critted me for 100 hit points, Vadian! You bastard! Now I only have 3400/10000 left! Image
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Tue Oct 30, 2001 11:30 pm

Cherzra, this is why we don't get along.

Every time I have an idea or a suggestion, just because you have some spanky timer and feel the need to flex your all-powerful client-programming skills, you *always* disagree with me, and post about it. I won't bother going back through and citing specific examples...but you never even bother to just calmly state your disagreement, but you have to make some snide remark as well.

I'm tired of it. As you can see the majority of replies to this thread have already agreed with me. While the mud and the adminstration (and me) do appreciate your feedback, perhaps you can just make feedback..instead of saying "stupid idea" every time.

Thanks in advance.

Wobb
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:56 am

Haven't you noticed? Cherzra is opposed to everything unless it is directly related to making troll warriors even better Image Screw everyone else! *nod me*
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Oct 31, 2001 1:20 am

Stay On Target. Stay on Target.

Actually both good ideas. As for how would you know silence wore off. In D&D sense of the spell, the target is TOTALLY silent (very useful for a rogue). They would make no noise, no speaking no crinkling of armor, no bones breaking etc.

Of course D&D was area spell, centered on target, but we can't have that now.

I would think silence would be easier to tell than blind actually, but both would make good additions.
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vipplin:
<B>Message when blind is out is a good idea. I think it would be pretty damn obvious. They stop stumbling, start dodging, actually LOOK at you...
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is pretty damn obvious. When the blind wears off rogues stop circling every round, mob starts hitting people again, switching, etc.

As far as silence? Just stop bashing and when they start casting spells again, then you know. Image

Disco
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:16 am

good idea

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 10-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 10-31-2001).]
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:28 am

love the edits aye? i decided to bite my tongue
one inflammatory comment about another prolly isnt the way to go
yall have a nice day Image
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Wed Oct 31, 2001 10:37 am

Some explanations I could see are that blindness physically closes the eyes of the victim, or whites them out completely, and the PC's could notice them returning to their natural state.

With silence, if there were more mob AI with them talking in between rounds it'd be easy for you to tell that the silence had worn off. As it is now I think it would only make sense that you can only tell when a mob starts casting a spell again. I dont see someone saying "whoa i can speak again" then cast.

All in all I'm kinda with Cherzra, there doesn't always need to be a counter to every attack, nor a positive to every negative. There isn't balance on our planet, I don't foresee it coming to the mud.

E
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:05 pm

Grintor- pwb used to stack on top of regular blind. It doesn't anymore, change is in the news way back but I don't remember the exact reason.

I feel it kinda ruined power word blind as a useful spell though... nothing like wanting to pwb a mob and then someone's weapon procs a blind that lasts for all of 30secs right before I cast.

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:04 am

Um, as much convenience this may offer me, I'm against the idea. Mobs with eyes that are no longer blind are obvious but the mud is filled with mobs that don't necessarily have a humanoid appearance. I doubt you can realized when a stone golem start seeing again...if they should see to start with Image

As for silence person, I'd like a message telling you that "you" can speak again. I have always been baffled how I can never realize when I can speak again without typing score every second.

Yssilk
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Fri Nov 02, 2001 10:06 am

But think about it.. if you weren't actually attempting to speak, how would you know if you could or not? So the parallel in the mud is to keep trying "say blah!" and if it works, silence is gone. Image

Actually the way it is makes sense hehe.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Fri Nov 02, 2001 10:43 am

i dont think we need a blind report from the mob, however i think that a higher level PWB should overwrite a regular blind. right now it doesnt land even if a level 18 cleric got the blind off.
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Fri Nov 02, 2001 11:02 am

As a cleric i think blind and silence work fine.. when blind wears off you can tell for simple fact mob starts hitting back dodging and the like.. as for silence didn't there used to be a message saying "You can speak again" ? or something to that affect? :P

Image The guesswork is what makes you pay attention to whats going on. I guess they could put in a sil off or blind off line but then ppl would just set triggers to it and it'll be even less you have to pay attention...

W/out a better reason i cant see changing it or asking for it to be changed. Image

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 02, 2001 5:51 pm

heh most gawd-awful thing about being silenced as a PC is you can't talk to group or ask passerby for help. You look like an idiot if you stop them and then just resort to waving your arms. Oh, and you can't dispel it yourself.
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:58 pm

I want to reiterate my original point with a new twist.

It makes absolutely NO SENSE that you would know a mob has been blinded by such an obvious measure, so if you are giving us a "Whatever seems to be blinded!" then we should also be able to get a "Whatever can see again!".

Don't look at this from the point of a big giant group doing a single mob in a battle that will last 10 rounds. Look at this from the soloing warrior or the soloing Priest with the blind spell/proc, trying to battle something that takes more skill and perhaps multiple attempts. (you know..real battle)

Obviously you want to give PC's a way to know that their spell has landed, I don't think its too much to ask to know when its faded. I disagree with other notions of silence, yes the freaking mob will start casting again, so a silence out message would be pretty pointless. (note i never mentioned any of that in my first post)

It's harder to gauge blind though on certain mobs. He isn't going to start bashing again because I'm bashing him. He isn't going to start casting "cure blind" and if he did how the hell would I know because warriors can't freaking see what spells mobs cast, (until after the fact).

So what I'm saying is, if it makes any kind of sense that when my sword procs and a mob becomes blinded...and its so obvious that a unique message is given for this event, then a blind falling is no different.

Perhaps I want to blind a mob, then switch weapons to something with an offensive proc, or a sword that hits freaking harder than ebony (not gonna go into that topic) then if the blind falls again, switch back.

There are a myriad of reasons...would anyone care to comment on these specifically?

Thanks for listening.

Wobb
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:05 pm

I like Cherzra's idea myself.

Seriously the msg you get when blind wears off is XXX sends YYY sprawling with a powerful bash.
or XXX switches targes...
or XXX hits you really hard.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Nov 14, 2001 9:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wobb:
<B>There are a myriad of reasons...would anyone care to comment on these specifically?
Wobb</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Urge to kill.... rising.

- Ragorn
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:09 am

Of course Rags has myriad issues with a myriad of issues.
Though for this particular one....
should be
There are myriads of reasons or
There are myriad reasons
either way. hehe

But for blind being reported, watch people who are caught by a bright flash or have their eyes dialated (sp?) at the eye doctor's office. They move very differently from a normal person. It changes when they can start to see again.

As for silence, I still think that it would be noticable that a caster had silence wear off.

Given one or the other, I would really like a blind out notice, kinda like stun has now.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wobb:
<B>Cherzra, this is why we don't get along.

Every time I have an idea or a suggestion, just because you have some spanky timer and feel the need to flex your all-powerful client-programming skills, you *always* disagree with me, and post about it. I won't bother going back through and citing specific examples...but you never even bother to just calmly state your disagreement, but you have to make some snide remark as well.

I'm tired of it. As you can see the majority of replies to this thread have already agreed with me. While the mud and the adminstration (and me) do appreciate your feedback, perhaps you can just make feedback..instead of saying "stupid idea" every time.

Thanks in advance.

Wobb

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head, Wobb.
I'm sick of it cherzra.

Wobb says: "Every time I have an idea or a suggestion" - it is actually: "Every time almost anyone has an idea or a suggestion".

Stop it.
Please.

Onto the topic:

Yeah, some of the spellfade messages/lack thereof do seem like they could do with some tweaking.

Acknowledgement of some dropping might help, but we also dont want to make it too easy for casters to have to work out just when they might drop, etc - a bit of "unknown" and extra skill required is a good thing, in some cases. Image

Mogr.

[This message has been edited by ssar (edited 11-14-2001).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:11 am

Rofl. You're just angry cause I replied to that log in which you were all failing rescues 10x in a row.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 11-15-2001).]
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:38 pm

Clerics have absolutely no "glance" indicators.

I have *never* understood why blind did not have some indication that it wore off other than you're getting bashed and critted now.. also, silence person wearing off is also pretty obvious. "So and so regains speech!"

Also, a message when you try to silence a mob that has already been silenced would be very helpful.

Dornax
Jurdex

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”