Embodiment Idea

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Embodiment Idea

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:38 pm

Hey, I was thinking.

What about giving druids a spell where they would become the embodiment of a treeant?

It would be a druid self only spell. Perhaps 10th circle? Perhaps it would be cast in nature only. The druid would perhaps be perm barkskin and be huge while able to bash and sp (although as poorly as a treeant), but perhaps not cast? They could break the spell at any time. Also, it would not stack with an elementalists embodiment.

I dunno, it sounded pretty neat when I thought of it.

Dornax
Jurdex
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:42 pm

You are the man.
Magruk Eat Elf
Sojourner

Postby Magruk Eat Elf » Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:50 pm

Yeah sounds like a great idea. (sarcasm)
Lets just totally get rid of the use of warriors. Who needs warriors when you can become one with perm barksin, and can bash and are too large to be bashed. yeah who need warriors.
* not a flame just a butt load and a half of sarcasm, because I have twinkie ideas myself Image *
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:04 am

Um magruk warriors are there to rescue.

I think he avoided suggesting rescue for a reason.
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:37 am

I like the idea, and it would not get rid of warriors. Treants tank like crap, and they bash ok, and shieldpunch alright, but not enarly as well, and can't rescue. It would make me into a crappy warrior who can't tank and barely bash, not being able to cast spells. I like the idea.

------------------
Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:52 am

Hmmm.

You have to understand the complexities of group dynamics on Sojourn3 to understand the balance issues inherent in granting druids such an ability.

First, they would be a far cry from a tank. I wouldn't want them tanking. Basically, they'd be big guys who have a shot at bashing or sping a mob.

Second, losing the ability to cast is like, not good for a druid or a group in most instances. They are pretty decent damage with nice utility. However, some fights call for rescuing and sping/bashing. It would be neat I think to see them try to sp or bash while certainly not being unbalancing in that regard.

Also, another ability I could see an embodied treant having is being !aggro in NATURE rooms only as long as they do NOT move. (See massmorph)

Dornax
Jurdex
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jurdex:
<B>Hmmm.

You have to understand the complexities of group dynamics on Sojourn3 to understand the balance issues inherent in granting druids such an ability.

First, they would be a far cry from a tank. I wouldn't want them tanking. Basically, they'd be big guys who have a shot at bashing or sping a mob.

Second, losing the ability to cast is like, not good for a druid or a group in most instances. They are pretty decent damage with nice utility. However, some fights call for rescuing and sping/bashing. It would be neat I think to see them try to sp or bash while certainly not being unbalancing in that regard.

Also, another ability I could see an embodied treant having is being !aggro in NATURE rooms only as long as they do NOT move. (See massmorph)

Dornax
Jurdex</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like a neat "last-resort" spell, when you've already cast everything else... Especially if you can dispel it at will, like invis...
"TwinkDruid 0"
Hehehe
But seriously, that would be kewl, because you unload, and then poof, you become a *slightly* better fighter with at least some half-way decent skills rather then sitting there saying, "Hrmmm, if I mem out, they'll get the kill and I'll lose the xp, but if I stay here, then I just sit and uhhh, try not to fumble my cursed weapon..."
<nog me>

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
taelin
Sojourner

Postby taelin » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:34 am

Shrug, kinda silly if you ask me but, if the druids like it then have at it. Do I think it influences warriors? perhaps. Do I care? No. I'm an evil, we dont have druids, wouldnt change us at all.

Sobu
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:21 am

Just as a side thought, why have it as an embodiment spell? Might be better/easier to implement it as a high level shapechange. Shapechange tends not to see much use at high levels except for CR's.

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:34 am

Shapechange also already has the timer restriction coded in... very nice suggestion =)
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treladian:
<B>Just as a side thought, why have it as an embodiment spell? Might be better/easier to implement it as a high level shapechange. Shapechange tends not to see much use at high levels except for CR's.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, I was actually thinking that same thing as I was writing my post, but I didn't have enough caffeine in my system to articulate it properly Image
That's an even better idea!
Or, mebbe not just treant, but adding different forms at different levels with different stats... Image
I think it's kinda amusing that shapechange doesn't get used often, at level 18 I accidently wandered into Trollbark as an eagle, and not only was I tanking about 18 mobs before I realized it, I actually killed 3 of them before I escaped back to the road...
Of course, I got hurt pretty bad, but I actually survived for the 3-4 minutes I was trapped there Image

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:13 pm

Heh... I'm willing to bet those were the level 10 mobs, not the level 55 mobs Image
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
Heh... I'm willing to bet those were the level 10 mobs, not the level 55 mobs Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what it started at, then the BIG guys came in... But yes, the 3 I killed were the low ones.
But even when a couple of the BIG guys came in, it was hard for them to hit me... But thankfully I maxed wimpy as soon as I realized what happened, and I lucked out because I kept fleeing back towards the road Image
And people say I have a low int... ha!

------------------
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Feb 02, 2002 4:27 am

Well the problem with shapechange in zones is obviously the lack of spells while shapechanged. Druids do a nice amount of damage and have 3 useful utility spells for zoning (sunray, vit, and making trees, not counting moonwell cause that's really for before you start the zone in many cases) so shapechanging into an elephant or whatever is counter productive since your dooms, hail storms, and flameblades will do more damage while still letting you vit, sunray, and baby heal if needed.

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:42 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treladian:
<B>Well the problem with shapechange in zones is obviously the lack of spells while shapechanged. Druids do a nice amount of damage and have 3 useful utility spells for zoning (sunray, vit, and making trees, not counting moonwell cause that's really for before you start the zone in many cases) so shapechanging into an elephant or whatever is counter productive since your dooms, hail storms, and flameblades will do more damage while still letting you vit, sunray, and baby heal if needed.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true, but maybe if this "new" form were balanced in such a way that would make it actually useful, say, after you've already cast everything, or if your tanks just got giblified and you need something temporary to shunt everyone out.

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:10 am

Mori gets giblified nonetheless... so he may as well rescue some folks while he's at it. Oh wait, that would violate my personal honor code of getting groupies killed...
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:44 pm

give elephant bash! :P...or trunksweep! :P ...mmmm trunksweep
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarell:
give elephant bash! :P...or trunksweep! :P ...mmmm trunksweep</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trample! (Didn't horsies have trample for a while? Something about dancing up and down on your body with their little hooves?)

Yeah, I always figured shapechanged druids should have the obvious abilities of the form: birds are flying, so don't need a boat but can't drag; elephants have bash and trample and the like; cats and foxes should have sense life;....

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”