Lusterous Golden Rings and other stuff!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Waelos
Sojourner

Lusterous Golden Rings and other stuff!

Postby Waelos » Sat May 18, 2002 10:37 pm

Remeber these bad boys? used to be good rings! Now? you've gotta quest 'em, and the mobs are rare. . . so why do they still have the same stats as the easy as cake to get white gold gemstone ring. I know, I have 2 of 'em so of course Im gonna want to see them upgraded (or changed. . .I dont care, but they should be worth how hard they are to get) Hell, make them caster rings or something. just make 'em worth the time to get =) please? I'd make suggestions but they'd all seem self serving since I have a pair. and as far as I know there aren't too many in the game either. anyway!

I'd also like to suggest that there be more spellsave/breathsave/ and +dam eq made (neckwear!). . .there is a void of decent neckwear for good aligned PC's. Shells are ugly =) and now that they're nosummon, I think we're all ready to move on lol. . .anyway I think Im just talking now. . .so, upgrade hard to get things! =) Make more varied cool things! (btw Meilich eq is awesome in this way, kudos)

Lost

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat May 18, 2002 11:02 pm

[RANT=I don't really think any upgrades are needed, what I DO think, is that there are not enough people playing these days - how many times can vault be run before everyone has all the vault eq they need? I mean, even now - most of the lower-end zones have already been plundered as much as they can be. By level 38 I had every piece of Vault eq that a warrior needs, and sometimes extra pieces that I couldn't even give away.

Where I work, my says anything I say about a problem that does not include a proposed solution, is considered whining. I don't want to whine here, and I don't have a solution, so I will try to focus instead on brevity.

The more you 'upgrade' and 'improve' things, the more it seems you forget about the little players. How about downgrade some zones? Make vault for a mid level group, and adjust the equipment accordingly. The problem I see with this, is that higher level players would sadly destroy the zone just to have piles full of EQ. Greed is such a pitious thing, really.

Most of the problems here are not in how anything is coded, built, or run - most, although I concede, not ALL areas of this game are carefully crafted by many talented people. Ultimately, the ruin, if there is one to be foreseen, is brought upon by us, the players. By ignoring that one new player, who wants to explore a new world, we deny him the privelege of falling in love with the same world that so many of us call home. Just how much difference can it make?

Maybe a little, maybe a lot, or none at all. While Miax and the other administrators are the 'parents' of this game, as the populace we are all left as 'brothers and sisters,' whether we are good, evil, or both. Every new player is a sibling, that will either love us, or despise us and attempt to leave home as soon as a means presents itself.

To all of the people here who play and help, I thank you, wholeheartedly. Don't give away your equipment to the newbies, instead - leave it to them, or show them and aid them in getting it themselves. For the rest of you, who run and get every single item after a reboot, not for your own need, but to make a profit, or even to 'help a friend' - well, I don't have anything to say.

PS - I think any item that does not respawn each pop should not be sold at stores. I think the storekeepers should look at you, and say, 'no']

-daz[/RANT]

------------------
In the Great Cat's silence we walk,
In its speed we strike,
In its strength we find victory,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.

[This message has been edited by Daz (edited 05-18-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun May 19, 2002 12:06 am

we dont need any more hit/dam in the game.

to waelos your lustrous are already better than gemstones; they are +style.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Sun May 19, 2002 2:48 am

but they aren't !burn like gemstones...
or !sleep like crismon crystals..

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Sun May 19, 2002 5:39 am

Uh, Daz? No offense but. . . what the hell does what you're talking about have to do with a rare/quest ring? Nothing =) There has to be better eq out there for the 'elite' people to get or try for, or they'll smite vault ad nausium, etc. I didn't say add hit or dam or anything, just make it better in some way than an easy to get item. thats all. . . hehe sheesh. I ask to biggie size my meal and the Surgeon General jumps down my throat about the evils of salt, cholestorol, saturated fat and sugar =P

Lost

------------------
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun May 19, 2002 5:51 am

wtf is a crimson crystal?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon May 20, 2002 8:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
wtf is a crimson crystal?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A ring from Brokenvale.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop2/stuntaname/icyhot.gif
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed May 22, 2002 12:14 am

i think we should downgrade everything, and make the hardest to get eq in really hard zones. thats right. i want +1 damage rings at tia.

bah.

my point is waelos, we dont have as many people as we once did. sooner or later, all of you guys are going to have the best eq. what then? you want better gear. harder areas. the zones get harder, the lower eq gets nerfed time and again, and it becomes harder and harder to be a 'true' newbie on the game.

right now, i really think saturation is an issue that should be looked at here, and i dont want equipment upgrades to be an ongoing fix, because that always comes back to suck. there has to be another way to add variety.

-daz

------------------
In its speed we strike,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 22, 2002 2:57 am

>my point is waelos, we dont have as many people as we once did. sooner or later, all of you guys are going to have the best eq. what then? you want better gear. harder areas. the zones get harder, the lower eq gets nerfed time and again, and it becomes harder and harder to be a 'true' newbie on the game.

nod, pretty good statement. and "upgrade lustrous ring" is a prime example of people wanting better gear and trying to figure out someway to get it.

A bit of reflection on the newbie comment. its not that the game gets necessarily harder for newbies its that newbies start with 0. So each time you add upgrades it makes the road longer for them. Worse though is that as the road gets longer, the well traveled folks never revisit the earlier portions leaving n00bs more and moer out of contention for zone groups due to eq gaps. course, people give them really nice "crap" that they have lieing around from earlier zones or even uber zones, but that makes things easier and harder.

Think about the zone progression at the beginning of the wipe, everyone went through and learned and made mistakes in the easier zones to build up eq to do the harder ones. You might say that n00bs aren't allowed to build up; eqwise and knowledge wise. of course if they actually do get to go to the better zones, they often get passed up (cause they new of course and havent put the time in to deserve loot eq x) or skip from pure shit eq to uber eq (getting spoiled). or worse, they make big zone newbie mistakes and don't get invited back.

the plight of the newbie is extremely difficult to quantify. i'd say eq is important, but its only the tip of the iceberg.

about lusty.
yes you can make a decent argument to upgrade lustrous ring in comparison to other eq like gemstone, but quite frankly, they dont need upgrading. The level of difficulty is rather different however, there is plenty of eq and quests out there that are way too hard or easy for the reward. Heck there are some pieces that i dont think should even be in the game no matter how hard the quest is (two of my personal dislikes, gythka and noxious). you have your lusties, gratz you and others. as many people have posted quests and style > stats. if you didnt think so, why did you bother doing the quest?

I certainly hope there are max stat caps defined for each slot and we don't end up back where we were with toril (in terms of eq escalation, subsequent downgrades, then pwipe).

I dont know how cyric is going to be able to continue to put in harder zones and longer quests without escalating eq (many of the cloud quests, smoke invasion) or getting bitched at by players for impossible fights and therefore impossible quests (oakvale).

we all bitch that quest is too hard for the reward or fight is too hard for the eq. then we get better eq and ask for harder fights. ponder the effect. of course im assuming none of us really wants to get back to 75 dam rolls and perm haste ect...

you know whats also interesting. the first couple of times I did god run quests I got between 5 and 20 prestige for multi hour quest sessions a month later i heard you could get hundreds of points per quest session. recently, neat badges and eq were being awarded. now i heard some of this was addressed, but its interesting how quickly it escalated.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 05-21-2002).]
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Wed May 22, 2002 3:51 am

What in the world are you guys talking about?

If a quest is difficult and the net gain isn't better than some easy to obtain item (i.e. lustrous ring vs gemstone ring) then either the quest's difficulty should be made to fit the end reward or the prize should be modified.

Besides, Waelos isn't asking for an upgrade of the ring, he only wants its stats to be commensurate with the work involved. That, in my opinion, has merit, and there are a plethora of examples in the game that could use tweaking just as the lusty could. Sometimes you don't need to include the bigger picture. Image

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

[This message has been edited by Jurdex (edited 05-21-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed May 22, 2002 4:09 am

i think some form of random element should be included. shrug. why make every rhemo every boot have prot fire. maybe sometimes it has less. maybe sometimes it have more. maybe sometimes prot cold loads, instead.

bad thing about this - high level guilds would slaughter newbie zones for chance at rare things, and make problem worse. sadly, i can not think of anything that does NOT add up to continuous upgrades. eventually, there will come a wall - and the question i think of is "what then?"

sigh. regardless what happens, i still love sojourn. in my years of mudding i have yet to find an equal. medeivia was intoxicating, but when i realized the zones sucked, i came back to sojourn.

------------------
In its speed we strike,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 22, 2002 8:04 am

Heh..

Ideally, like Dornax says, the quality of eq is related to the difficult in getting it. Any argument based upon class differences (in the marxist sense) obscure the real goal. If you want good items, you should have to work for it. It screws up the game when very good items are easy to get, and comparable items are more difficult. It means that zones and quests are not done as much as they should be. It gives area writers less options for eq in their zones.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed May 22, 2002 9:06 am

Lustrous is actually pretty easy... I'm not going into what you need to get, but the hardest part is waiting for those smelly halflings to load. It shouldn't be much better than a gemstone, perhaps toss some ac on it, but nothing else. My opinion anyway.

------------------
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Wed May 22, 2002 9:16 am

I don't think weylarii was saying it should be significantly better. But at least have !burn flag so it's equal to gemstone ring. -1 or -2 ac woulld be a bump better then gemstone but no where unbalancing.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 22, 2002 2:23 pm

my point is they dont need upgrading. they already equal the best in game hitter ring, why make it any better? the quest is more time consuming, but is it harder? does it require 10-15 players to go to a !teleport zone with a bunch of !bash casters and decent spank potential?

ponder this, If you make them better, then everyone gonna go quest lusties, what will be the difference in 6 months? every melee will have 4 more ac and a shit load of gemstones will be floating around and lusties lose +style. wear your lusties, show them off, enjoy your +style.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 22, 2002 3:46 pm

caz,

My impression is that they are not currently 'equal' as you say they are. That weylarii is asking that it at least be made equal.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed May 22, 2002 4:57 pm

I don't think lusties/gemstones are the best hitter rings in the game.

------------------
-Yayaril
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed May 22, 2002 5:02 pm

"separate but equal?"

------------------
Kribble tells you 'I heard about it already, seen your corpses, been there, got the Tshirt'
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Wed May 22, 2002 9:23 pm

Laugh. I was just sitting around and thought to myself. . .hrmm, took some thought and skill to get these rings, why not up / change their stats a little bit? Sorry to offend so many people. Honestly, I'm having a real hard time understanding y'all who are against it. I mean, I read your posts but. . . its like they're in another language. How does upgrading/changing quest items nerf low - midlevel eq? I'm at a loss.

Anyway, I guess Im just bored or somethin =) Forget I said anythin'.

Lost

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 23, 2002 3:30 am

if there were 3/3 rings out there, then i wouldnt mind seeing lusty upgraded, but they are at the top, and i think we should think real carefully before we imp new items that exceed the existing best. if you suggested we make them 3hit 40 hps, a significant upgrade, i could support it. that would be entirely different.

as for being equal to the best melee rings, im terms of hit/dam there isn't anything better than 1/2 to my knowledge. yea theres some hp/dam rings and pure hp rings, but i was talking pure hit/dam sorry for the confusion heh.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu May 23, 2002 5:09 am

What are you trying to say, Kiryan?

------------------
-Yayaril
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 23, 2002 7:29 am

as long as lustrous = best hit/dam melee ring in the game it doesnt need an upgrade.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 23, 2002 8:41 am

but the lusty _ISNT_ as good as the gemstone.. Read gromikazer's post.

Caz, is giving the lusty ring a couple ac points so possibly a warrior might want to use it instead of a hp ring, really a big deal?

Heh, it seems like no matter what, someone always has to make an opposing argument. This isn't farking debate club.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 05-23-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 23, 2002 9:29 am

umm !burn ok whatever. its equal for all intensive purposes. i did read gromi's post.

as for adding a couple points of ac, like i said im against it as long as it equals the best hit/dam ring in the game. you wanna change it up make it 2 dam 10 ac ok, but not 1/2 2 ac.

it doesnt need to be upraded, and since its one of the two best hit/dam rings in the game, it shouldnt be ugpraded without a compelling reason.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu May 23, 2002 9:39 am

I rather see gemstone being !noburn while lusty is noburn.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 10:04 am

Um, as I am sure most warrior types who wear rings are aware, they work just like earrings.

They only give AC if they have AC_APPLY, normal AC on rings does nothing.

Rings and Earrings have only 2 slots to use, where as all other eq has AC and 2 slots.

Adding AC on it sure would look fine, wouldn't do a thing to it.

And personally, the STYLE of having lustys over those fugly gemstones is worth it to me. I would rather wear something rare of same stats than the same crap everyone else does..but, thats just me.

-Garg

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu May 23, 2002 3:23 pm

Bah, only thing that looks good with lusties are serpent bands. They're just as gaudy as gemstones, possibly moreso cause they stick out more. Upgrade lusty ansi!

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu May 23, 2002 4:40 pm

Hey look! It's a picture of Gargauth!

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Thu May 23, 2002 5:23 pm

*LAUGH* OMG thank you Nokie that was perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen. hahhaha.

Have any of you looked at me? I'm the ugliest thing to walk Sojourn, ever. (maybe cuz I really just don't like Yellow ansi!) I need like 12 restrings just to yank out the yellow! hehe whatevah! I hope all eq becomes the same stats! and we'll all live in ugly brotherhood! or somethihng

No longer Lost.

------------------
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri May 24, 2002 12:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>
A bit of reflection on the newbie comment. its not that the game gets necessarily harder for newbies its that newbies start with 0. So each time you add upgrades it makes the road longer for them. Worse though is that as the road gets longer, the well traveled folks never revisit the earlier portions leaving n00bs more and moer out of contention for zone groups due to eq gaps. course, people give them really nice "crap" that they have lieing around from earlier zones or even uber zones, but that makes things easier and harder.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa there cowboy. Slow down a tad on the whole slaughterfesthackn'slash mentality. It must be very difficult as an evil to get to do anything, considering you would actually look at a person and consider their eq before wanting to take them anywhere. I wouldn't want to play evil either if I was a newbie, seems that if this is the mentality of all the evil leaders, how would you get anything done except by learning yourself?

Which brings up another point. If the new players to this game have any real skill or want to advance, they need to do what everyone else did when they first started and didn't know anyone. I've seen more stupid people bagging on first timers, or bitching about eq splits than I care for lately.

I personally don't care about anyone's eq when I go to lead something. Mostly it's because I'm not all that great of a leader. I don't know every in and out of every zone ever placed here, and most people understand that. Those who choose to follow me are the ones that play the game for enjoyment, and not necessarily to destroyconquerinvade. I can't imagine playing evil to a high level if your mentality is found throughout their ranks.

The point Wey was trying to make was: the quest needs changing either in a) difficulty, or b) final stats. That is all.

If you have a problem with where the MUD is going, take it up with an administrator or something instead of "blahblah NO upgrades".

Twyl be sick o' ignance

------------------
I am Jack's complete lack of effort.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 24, 2002 2:22 am

on the checking out eq before zoning

heh like this is a situation confined to evils. and actually id wager it happens less on the evil side cause when theres only 15 40+, theres no choices. if you don't think the top end zone groups require a strong eq set and some decent player skills your wrong. if you think a 300 hp level 40 invoker has good survivability in zone your also mistaken.

>Which brings up another point. If the new players to this game have any real skill or want to advance, they need to do what everyone else did when they first started and didn't know anyone. I've seen more stupid people bagging on first timers, or bitching about eq splits than I care for lately.

yep and as long as there are people like mori and sok who will take n00bs zoning, its cool.

> I can't imagine playing evil to a high level if your mentality is found throughout their ranks.

which mentality? my analysis of the game you mean? thats a bit different than how i play the game.

>The point Wey was trying to make was: the quest needs changing either in a) difficulty, or b) final stats. That is all.

yea i understand wey's point. but thanks for stating it again. heres my point which i will state again. lusty is equal to the best hit/dam ring in the game. it needs an upgrade like gythka needs an upgrade.

>If you have a problem with where the MUD is going, take it up with an administrator or something instead of "blahblah NO upgrades".

how about i just voice my opinion on an open forum and allow you to do the same? then others can read or participate rather than me building a relationship with a god and getting things more or less unilaterally implemented and having everyone bitch about how shitty my ideas are after the fact.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri May 24, 2002 2:50 am

kiryan is my hero.

------------------
In its speed we strike,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri May 24, 2002 6:53 am

That rules, Nokie. =P

------------------
-Yayaril
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri May 24, 2002 8:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
how about i just voice my opinion on an open forum and allow you to do the same? then others can read or participate rather than me building a relationship with a god and getting things more or less unilaterally implemented and having everyone bitch about how shitty my ideas are after the fact.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said you'd get your way, I just would imagine they have a better idea of what balance is, and that perhaps they know things you don't. Also, yet again your point is fairly muddled. Basing the argument once again on an upgrade, when Wey is asking for risk/involvement=reward.

Twyl

------------------
I am Jack's complete lack of effort.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Fri May 24, 2002 8:43 pm

The difference being..? Unless Wey is askin for a pile of plats when you complete the quest I don't see how you will acquire any further reward beyond an upgrade to the ring itself.

I see Caz's point fine... currently you get 2/1 !burn for gemstones, and 2/1 for lusties. So we want a tiny boost to lusties (in whatever manner). And then another ring comes along that's a slightly harder quest/zone... oh but it has to be ample reward, so we upgrade it again, leaving us even further from where we started.

Anyway, I don't really care either way and agree with everyone in some way or another, just throwing a wrench into the works. :P
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat May 25, 2002 3:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dezzex:
The difference being..? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duh, make the quest easier. Are you all this dense, or is it you are blinded by everything MUST be an upgrade!!!

Snort.

------------------
Not as lost...

<P:std> lost
You are totally and utterly lost! Next time bring a compass!
< 401h/401H 128v/128V >
<P:std> You receive an ornate compass from Twyl.
You give an ornate compass to Twyl.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Sat May 25, 2002 6:28 am

Geez, do you guys abuse Twyl or something? He's like a rabid dog...

Heh.. make the quest any easier and the rings are gonna have to be downgraded. :P
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat May 25, 2002 10:01 am

i dont care if they downgrade the quest some or even a lot heh. im just arguing against any upgrades as was originally suggested.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat May 25, 2002 4:32 pm

i dont think the argument 'the quest is harder so it should be better' really means much here.

compare: relocate quest to shadowwalk quest.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat May 25, 2002 6:31 pm

Shadow walk has a harder quest and casts faster- makes sense to me.

------------------
-Yayaril
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue May 28, 2002 4:16 pm

Thanks guys!

And you thought i Wouldn't notice!

Muhahahaha

Weylarii -Observant- DSR

------------------
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed May 29, 2002 12:07 pm

I think the ring was fine at 2 2. The quest is not hard, simple "sneak" item makes the quest a laughable at most.

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed May 29, 2002 8:41 pm

<B>yep and as long as there are people like mori and sok who will take n00bs zoning, its cool.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa... I'm a force for balance? But that seems... wrong... somehow. o.O

Anyhow, we need more n00bs! Less arguing, more recruiting! I am running out of hordes to feed Malice!

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Wed May 29, 2002 8:49 pm

Ilsha, rings be not 2 2. . .they be 1 2 =)

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 29, 2002 9:06 pm

may i ask what was chagned about lustrous recently? i can only assume it was one of the items that got a "upgrade"
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 29, 2002 9:31 pm

And he's foaming at the mouth waiting to go off about it. Go ahead, tell him it was upped to +2/+2 DI.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed May 29, 2002 9:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
And he's foaming at the mouth waiting to go off about it. Go ahead, tell him it was upped to +2/+2 DI.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was changed to 4/4 invoker dragonscales 24/day perm di/fly/invis.

And yes.. flagged anti-Kiryan!

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”