Divine Celerity (Cleric Spell Idea - Again!)

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Divine Celerity (Cleric Spell Idea - Again!)

Postby Jurdex » Thu May 30, 2002 1:09 pm

help divine celerity

DIVINE CELERITY
Spell.

Area of effect: self
Aggressive: No
Cumulative: No
Duration: Dependent on proficiency of caster
Class/Circle: Cleric 6th
Type of spell: Enchantment

"Divine Celerity" grants the priest lightning quick reflexes that allows him to perform actions at a much faster rate than he normally could. It does not dispel the "slowness" spell, but can counter its effects.

See also: "HASTE," SLOWNESS

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 30, 2002 1:14 pm

ponder, why add something that doesnt have any real uses or am i missing something.

never been slowed by a mob that i can recall, spell is self only.
doesnt grant haste, or is that what this is, cleric self only haste? veto.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu May 30, 2002 2:18 pm

yum Image

I still want a self only form of true sight tho.. 9th circle Image
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 30, 2002 2:27 pm

I know at least once cleric that I expect might get interested in the game again if this spell were introduced. Clerics are a fighter class. It would make the class more interesting if they had more of a reason to wear something other than hps. They aren't going to have this reason until they have 2 attacks.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu May 30, 2002 3:39 pm

i agree. what the hell does a cleric need 1k unvitted for? how boring is that

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop2/stuntaname/icyhot.gif
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu May 30, 2002 5:08 pm

The spell would be a self-haste for the cleric. Sorry if that was not clear.

Giving clerics offense and a higher weapon skill was _very_ cool, but with 1 attack we can't do anything.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 30, 2002 5:19 pm

I'm just gonna nip one thing in the bud cause you know its gonna come up...

No enchanter will be upset if clerics can cast a haste equivalent on themself Image Well maybe insane ones...

nifty idea dornax.. the big objection to my idea for a cleric haste weapon was that A) hitters would be jealous, B) Only the elite clerics could get the item. This idea satisfies both objections.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu May 30, 2002 6:39 pm

This enchanter wouldn't be upset if everyone had haste gear

------------------
-Yayaril
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 pm

I want some Divine Celery! It would go quite well with my Sacred Peanut Butter of Peter Pan and the Godly Raisins of the Sun Maid. Holy Bugs on a Log, Batman!

I've never played a cleric past 24, so I really don't know, but do clerics really have a lot of spare time to be hitting things? Or aren't they normally saving their group from becoming ground beef?

And what about flamestrike and holy word?

Heh, sorry, just had to add those last two in there. I'm such an ass.

- Grungar "Food on my mind" Forgefire
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu May 30, 2002 8:28 pm

Woohoo... I most definitely still get strange looks when I tell the group I'm going hitter.

You *are* going to add it for druids too, no? At 9th circle? Image

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Thu May 30, 2002 11:33 pm

Heh I like it. I've been wandering around helping with fight over last week or so forgetting to hold nebbie, and without Polka an Amey ring. Not having died once during it, I've come to the conclusion I dont really need all these hp.

I think it would be cool to do other stuff in fights, and to wear eq that will help with that.

I used to switch doing xp, and get stupid looks when I asked for haste. No, I wasn't a ranger, but a 21/16 wasn't too bad.

Would it make a hill of beans difference in the landscape of SJ3. Nah. Would it give clerics something else to do? Yup.

Thumbs Up D.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri May 31, 2002 5:07 am

do i have to put divine cheeze wiz on my divine celery?
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri May 31, 2002 7:32 am

Think about it, if a cleric could haste himself or wield hasted weapons, you'd have players with 1k unvitted, wielding either a 2h 8d4 hammer or whatever weapon is hasted, with 7 full heals, word of recall, blind, silence and 1-2 attacks. Hell I'd roll one, because that would be the ultimate solo class.

Enter room, cast all full harms and other offense, hit mob with 1-2 attacks a round and fheal yourself, then flee out of zone. Mem up and repeat. That'd be pretty cheesy, and I don't see it happening.

------------------
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Fri May 31, 2002 7:36 am

Cherzra, no offense, but your post shows you have no real grasp of what you're talking about when it comes to playing a cleric. Especially in solo terms. I do think I'm pretty well versed on the subject, however.

If I don't drop a lot of hps for hitroll, I am going to miss. Heck, I'm going to miss a lot anyway. Not to mention silence and blind last nary a bit, and you're not causing damage when you're healing yourself, you're casting a spell. Also, at level 50 a cleric has only five full heals at his disposal, not seven.

A cleric still would not compare to druids, shaman or enchanters as solo artists.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

[This message has been edited by Jurdex (edited 05-31-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 31, 2002 9:33 am

bull jurdex. clerics have decent solo ability. not as strong as enchanters but better than warriors for sure. as far as enchanters not going to mind, im sure enchanters wouldnt mind if we put haste cloaks back in the game either.

I eq'd a priest up to 50ish hitroll 20ish dam roll and wielding and 8d4 weapon. Rarely missed, not a lot of hps, but vit + putting hps in the big slots could get me an extra 400 no problem dropping my hitroll a bit. clerics get offensive skill, have good maxs for blunt skills and dodge i believe.

I am firmly against self haste. Do clerics need to be more powerful? Solo or otherwise? As for fun factor, try playing a mage, they can't hit or tank shit or wear as much hitroll/dam roll eq.
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Fri May 31, 2002 9:40 am

Damn, someone beat me to the celery joke already. Well, aside from vegetables, I know I'd be a joke with haste, cleric or mage cast.

You miss the broad side of a barn with your pound.
You miss the broad side of a barn with your pound.

Yup.

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri May 31, 2002 9:51 am

kiryan:

Your advice to clerics that want to have fun is to go play a mage. your right actually.. but thats not very constructive if the goal is to make the cleric class more fun to play. Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri May 31, 2002 11:31 am

I agree, this spell looks good. Think it would give clerics a bit more of the 'fun factor' they sometimes lack. Without an offense skill and a decent weapon skill they'll never be able to compete with melee classes for hitting damage but might give them a bit more flexibility when gearing up. I see nothing wrong with it.

And on the solo'in front, I promise you that anything an enchanter can solo, an elementalist can solo better, quicker and more efficantly. They are quite possibly the premier solo class on Soj.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 31, 2002 12:12 pm

really tanji, thought we established quite vehemently just after they came in that elementalists were weak and had no solo ability. at least i got an ass chewing over my claim that they were incredible soloers.

Corth, i didnt mean for clerics to go play a mage if they wanted to have fun. i meant if you think your melee and tank ability as a cleric is weak there is a whole nother step down to mage. They already have some fun factor built in, their current melee ability. I dont think they realize how unfun it could be.

Im still against self only cleric haste. when people get bored of their class, giving them new abilities is not a good way of entertaining them. Maybe we should give clerics a modified verseion of snake bite to give them a little more fun in melee, see how many use that before we accept the claim that they just want some more fun in melee.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Fri May 31, 2002 12:21 pm

Kiryan, no offense, but if you have something constructive to add with some form of experience to back up your claims, do so. However, I don't think that is the case here. :P

I've logged over 225 play days as a cleric. I'll match my record against anyone who has ever played the class on this mud in terms of maximizing the class' capabilities. Especially in terms of soloing. I solo'd the majority of my way to level 50. I could solo dock masters at level 26 as a shaman and WD elites rather handily at level 46. I couldn't do near those things as a cleric.

My point is that self-haste for a cleric at 6th circle isn't unbalancing, and if you think it is, I invite you to start a cleric and play it from scratch with no added eq and no help and solo it to 50 and tell me how unbalancing it'd be. I'm dying to hear it. Image

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

[This message has been edited by Jurdex (edited 05-31-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri May 31, 2002 2:32 pm

Its about as unbalancing as giving a warrior an extra attack every third round. (sarcasm on) And of course that would be really unbalancing because lord knows hitters do such a large percentage of damage compared to the rest of the group (sarcasm off).

Besides, Dornax and myself actually agree on something. That in and of itself is enough to prove its a good idea. Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 05-31-2002).]
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri May 31, 2002 3:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Besides, Dornax and myself actually agree on something. That in and of itself is enough to prove its a good idea. Image
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thats the sign that end of the world is coming....

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 31, 2002 11:59 pm

i got a lot of experiences, not as many as some. one could say that with your impressive 225 days as a cleric you might be in the worst possible seat to be commenting on balance and most likely to preach upgrades for your favored class. but silly me, i try to evaluate the ideas, not who is stating them.

Anyhow, im not worried about the effect of haste at lower levels. im not worried about the level 26 cleric soloing exp, heck i might support some more of that. I don't think a level 50 cleric with decked out eq plus neat weapons needs access to haste in zone or solo. I really dont think clerics understand how good their melee ability already is. roll a mage, then you'll know what why they hold two nebulas.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:39 am

I have a mage, thanks.

And I'm all about game balance. I look at the big picture, and I don't see how 1 more attack per cleric in a zone will unbalance anything. They would trade hps for hitroll. Somehow this is a bad thing to you. I don't get it.

Yes, having offense as a cleric helps a great deal, but it means jack with 1 attack, and with 2 a cleric might actually consider changing some things up.

Mages are by far a more fun class to play. Clerics are one of the most bland classes out there.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:48 am

warrior=bland

------------------
One, I don't know who in the hell you are.
Two, I don't CARE who in the hell you are.
This isn't personal.
THIS IS A GAME.

Erevan
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:36 am

Thanks Daz. Have any more wisdom you can bestow upon us?

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:20 am

Never, EVER, under ANY circumstance - let rabid squirrels chase pecans in your boxers on the third tuesday of ANY month. Nothing good EVER came out of that.

------------------
-Daz Proudwolf, Tapestry Pirate
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

One, I don't know who in the hell you are.
Two, I don't CARE who in the hell you are.
This isn't personal.
THIS IS A GAME.

Erevan
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:32 am

I was gonna say something not nice, but I'll settle with:

I disagree. Clerics shouldn't be able to self haste themselves.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B> NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thats the sign that end of the world is coming....
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Upgrade Armageddon!

PS - how bout giving cleric types the dexterity spell?

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
one could say that with your impressive 225 days as a cleric you might be in the worst possible seat to be commenting on balance and most likely to preach upgrades for your favored class. but silly me, i try to evaluate the ideas, not who is stating them. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say that at all. I'd say Dornax is the perfect person to ask about cleric upgrades. And you are a person with a known track record of being against any and all player upgrades.

In fact, the fact that Dornax says it's a fair and balanced idea leads me to believe it is, even if my cleric is only level 23.

- Ragorn

------------------
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:45 pm

OMG give rangers haste spell and double attack effect on off hand already! OMG !

muhahahaha!

(err, I Think clerics hasting self is kewl, go fer it. We could use some more Tagads!)

Tieupbillysamanthagortexsock

------------------
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:25 am

heh like the idea but have you ever consider the consequences of it working on a snake cleric? right now, with a nighty, i can get 780hp natural with 25/8 hit/dam. if you give me this haste/double attack option, you would see me drop about 80 hp and gain easily 10/5 hit/dam. with vit, that's a cleric with 900+hp with 35/13 hit/dam with -80 or so ac. with a good weapon, i would easily do near 75 damage per round and about 150 in the time it takes to cast one full harm. consider how pathetic full harm is, this would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to cleric solo ability.

It took me 1 full hour of full harms to drop chlora down to 75% health with little to no risk. give me this ability and i'll do what tagad has done without his hammer.

this idea will be just a novelty for other clerics but it'll make the yuanti clerics rock! Image

Yssilk
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:52 am

agree yssilk, and obviously you could acquire a lot more hit/dam if you wanted to sac some more hps.

and the impact on zone would not be as large as the impact on solo. however, there is rock crusher and skull smasher to consider. wonder how much interest there would be in this spell if the best clericable weapon was the gleaming club.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:27 pm

The part you all are missing here.

*You tell Xebes Haste me too Im going hitter.
Xebes tells you WTF??? Like I don't have enough to do.

Solo'ing isn't a big deal for clerics. We all can do it regardless of dg's to stop it (yes Im still pissy about Hword). It might make it go a little faster. OMG clerics not getting doubled by other classes Xp'ing? no way.

*(This is not an actually conversation. If this were an actually conversation it would have been accompanied by lots of giggling and a 'Uhm riiiight')

PS I think all the dwarf clerics need Divine Sobriety
Y'all are lushes

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Salen:
<B>PS I think all the dwarf clerics need Divine Sobriety
Y'all are lushes</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never trust a sober dwarf.

- Grungar *hic* Forgefire
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:19 pm

Actually, I think my dorf rescues better when I'm drunk as well as him. Image

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”