Spell quests, mobs, areas, How do you know?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Spell quests, mobs, areas, How do you know?

Postby Zoldren » Tue Mar 27, 2001 11:52 am

Basicaly here is the problem as I see it. I get a lvl where I have to quest for a spell.. thats fine, but being that SOJ is the biggest mud I know of, I dont want to talk to every mob in every town and area to try to do my quest, the only other way is to have the people who already konw it to tell you and help you. Thats nice and all but how much RP is it to have someone who already knows a quest to walk you through it? I mean some of the quests I would never have found had it not been for friends.
Is there any way that it could be that your guildmaster gives you a general area, not the name or anything that easy, but a description or something that you could recognize a place that you could start your quest? as it is now, you start your quest over the whole mud and hope you get lucky.....
Alaindril
Sojourner

Postby Alaindril » Tue Mar 27, 2001 5:34 pm

I've often thought about this myself. When I was a newbie, I'd try and ask my guildmaster things, thinking it was a logical place to get started. I agree with Zoldren's points about how massive Soj is (not a bad thing by any means, but it is a tad daunting sometimes when you have to search for a proverbial 'needle-in-a-haystack'). Guildmasters would logically be knowledgable about their profession, after all, and it'd be nice to see this added bit of functionality added to them. Image

-the kamikaze elf
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Mar 27, 2001 5:52 pm

Find a quest mob is only the beginning, it gets more fun when it asks you to get, for example, some 'storm dust', or 'the claws of a great beast from the north'. Start looking for the needle in three haystacks Image
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Mar 27, 2001 5:57 pm

but thats still better than nothing Image
atleast your not lookin south heh
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Mar 27, 2001 9:27 pm

That is pretty cool.

Guildmasters should talk!

It'd also be neat for warriors to be able to at like 50 quest for a specialization be it rescue, bash, 1h slashing or whatever..

Hey Alain, been a while, great to see you!

Jurdex
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Mar 27, 2001 10:28 pm

Your guildmaster says 'Wow, you really suck. Please think about trying another profession...'

Just kidding, it's a nice idea, and I'll mention it to Cyric.

However, over recent years we have tried to make many of the new quests have hints/clues about where they begin at certain central locations that are well suited to it.

For instance, there might be a bartender or a mage somewhere that seem to be founts of knowledge on many different quests, and where they begin.

-- Shevy
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:27 am

Hmmm... quests for the more powerful items shouldn't be included in this tho, just the average-decent eq imho.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Mar 28, 2001 11:36 am

Heck I wasn't even thinking about eq quests, leave those hard :P Cherzrz knows them all anyway :P
I was just mainly talking about skills/spells that you get from lvl. and your guildmaster sends you out on your own to umm "learn" the spell" giving you only a direction to go or area rumored to deal with such n such...
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Mar 28, 2001 2:13 pm

Ah nods, hadn't thought of it that way. Sounds like a cool idea actually =)

Your guildmaster tells you 'I see you made your way to the ninth spellcircle, congratulations. A great step. You know, there are some mages that have learned to travel any distance on this plane merely by spell!'

Your guildmaster ponders a minute.

Your guildmaster tells you 'You seem to have great aptitute. Thus it is that I will reveal to you a secret few know - that one of these mages resides in this town. He now gathers information on creatures throughout the realms, but he still knows the secrets of the relocate spell. Good luck.'
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Mar 28, 2001 2:44 pm

haha cherzra thats great Image
Me
Sojourner

Postby Me » Wed Mar 28, 2001 3:17 pm

Maybe we could just have Cherzra stand in a guild and talk to us when we reach 9th circle Image
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:58 pm

I really like the bartender thing... information for a price... maybe VS could be set up so that one must also be a quest knowledge guru! *poke* Illreok

Tay
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:17 pm

Illreok!! heya!

I'm heading my barbarian to the clan again, I got a hairy-toed rogue that'll be looking for a home too!
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Ah nods, hadn't thought of it that way. Sounds like a cool idea actually =)

Your guildmaster tells you 'I see you made your way to the ninth spellcircle, congratulations. A great step. You know, there are some mages that have learned to travel any distance on this plane merely by spell!'

Your guildmaster ponders a minute.

Your guildmaster tells you 'You seem to have great aptitute. Thus it is that I will reveal to you a secret few know - that one of these mages resides in this town. He now gathers information on creatures throughout the realms, but he still knows the secrets of the relocate spell. Good luck.'

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tell guildmaster inferno

Your guildmaster tells you have done well my student. It is time you venture out on your own. There is no more that i may teach you.
I do not have the knowledge you now seek. You need to travel forth to continue in the search of this knowledge.

I ran accross a great "archaeologist" *cough* who knows the secrets to this spell search his assistants out, for they must know how to get in his good graces.

t gm gate

gm tells ahh my favorite student. I have often wondered about the mysteries of planar travel. but alas it is not in my field of study. however i did run accross a mage years long past, who was very interested in the very stars themself. seek him out and he may be able to help you find your goal....

I dont think stuff like this would be to hard.... ya ya i know everyone "knows" and is "happy" with the quests now...

but I think this would bring alot to the game.....

even if you had the GM make you do a small quest for him before he even gave you any information.. like bring him a book he is out of room in his.. find him a certain component or quill or take something to a friend for him...

after all.. how realistic is it for a drow to talk to a human mage for meteorswarm in a goodie town? or a drow to go to one of the Elven strongholds (gc) and talk to a elven mage...atleast this way it can be explained a little and would give people a place to start...

i must admit theonly way i was able to do these quests.. was from my and others peopls knowledge from previous whipes....

I bet Shevy forgot about this :P Shevy wank!

[This message has been edited by Zoldren (edited 06-11-2002).]
Tagor
Sojourner

Postby Tagor » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:17 pm

My primary complaint with the res quest so far has been how hard it is just to find out what the quest is. My method of doing the quest has been like this:

1) Level to 46.
2) Ask guildmaster about every possible keyword relating to res quest I can think of.
3) Give up on guildmaster and ask a high level cleric for a hint - they point me to mob XXX.
4) Go to mob XXX and ask about every possible keyword relating to res quest I can think of.
5) Give up on mob XXX.
6) Ask high level cleric to just tell me what items I need, because obviously I'm never going to find out on my own. Cleric replies that they don't know the quest, because their association just gave them the items.
7) Ask another high level cleric, they don't remember or know the whole quest but tell me a small part of it. Sometimes they're wrong.
8) Beg every group I'm in to help me with the small part, until someone finally takes pity on me and helps me get the item. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes not.
9) go to 6, and repeat

In an RP sense, I have no idea what the quest is about. And I haven't yet met anyone who claims to know the whole quest, although at this point I think I've got it pieced together. Getting the items hasn't been that hard, getting the information has been a test of my begging skills.

This quest is a test of the "old boys" network. The most connected people don't even bother to do it and just get the items from friends. Less connected people get the quest information from friends and some help getting items. Newer players without old friends and uber l33t association to help them out just beg and beg and beg and beg and beg until they figure out what they need and then possibly beg some more to actually get the items.

Whether or not this is appropriate for what is essentially a required quest, I'll leave up to the immortals. My feeling is that it isn't that great of a setup. I would much prefer to see the quest itself easier to piece together, WITH a starting hint!

Tagor, level 49 !resser
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:24 pm

I can't speak for the starting clues of res. I knew it from old days, and am among the first to admit that it's not always that way. However, if you look at what the mobs say to you when you quest them and what-not, you can figure out the story alright.

There is one bit of continuity conflict in it that I can remember, but for the most part it's pretty straight-forward. It does test one's knowledge of the mud, or one's network of friends who know it, but what do you expect from a spell that can restore 20% exp to you after you die?

The start of res is pretty vague though, I agree.

Sylvos
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:03 pm

I'll agree that the start of the res quest is pretty vague, and I don't know of any reason why you'd go to the particular mob and ask her these questions.

Tagor, drop me a tell some time and I'll help ya out for the next step.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:52 pm

Considering where the mob is located, I don't know of any reason why anyone that would be ready to quest ress would go to that mob period Image

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:54 pm

its not just res too Image

quite a few mobs.. its like wtf y would i talk to xyz to get yzx spell?? that makes no sense!!

ohh sure let me go get this from hometown (agro you).....

ohh ya let me go talk to someone who i would never talk to in a RP inviroment to get some knowledge...

Yes i admit i am being a harsh ass, but i feel strongly about this sorry if it offends you, its not ment to offend (imms) but for you to look @ w/o forgetting :P
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:56 pm

I agree, pinkster...

Why would my drow go talk to some wrinkled, tired ass gnome?? That gnome should realistivally try to kick drow ass....

on a diff mud i used to play ..the evil necromancer teacher guy is aggro goodies and vice versa ...

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:22 pm

The ress quest is most definitely difficult. I had a lot of trouble with it, but it was actually a lot of fun and worth every moment I spent considering it. I had a ton of help, and I traded information back and forth. Ultimately I would say a good 20-30 people helped piece it together with myself included. Not too bad, I think. The story is great, but as Sylvos said there is one continuity error involved (imo), and it would also be nice if your guildmaster pointed you at the first mob.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:42 pm

I have helped many shaman with some of the shaman spell quests. I had lots of help with these quests when I was doing them and feel that I am acting in the role of the guild master giving clues, etc. to start the quests.

I think this is perfectly in line with role play as who else would a young barbarian shaman ask for help but an older barbarian shaman who has the skills needed. The trick (one that I am not great at I will say) is not to give away too much information when you are guiding them.

Like the idea of the guild master being a little more helpful though.

The guildmaster Shaman says "Ah I see you have advanced in your training. I have been meaning to ask a favor of you."

"From time to time I ask aspiring shaman to look in on an old student of mine."

"This individual was once a shaman of high renown but was cast out due to his dabling in the high arts of the dead. This endeavor was risky and he fell pray to a being that caused him to lose one of his senses. He now wanders the world trying to eek out a living through the kindness of others."

"He might have information that could be beneficial to you as well."
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:18 pm

I think all spell quests should be like fire embodiment and the shaman spell quests: have random world mobs who give u the quest.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Tagor
Sojourner

Postby Tagor » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:58 pm

Rylan: thanks for the offer, but as I mentioned I've pretty much got it pieced together now. I only have 3 more steps to go I believe.

In any case, I guess I just don't find begging for information all that exciting. I'd prefer to figure stuff out on my own, do some exploring, whatever. Nothing about the res quest that I've seen so far is anything I could figure out on my own. The hints are horrendous (gee, where can I go look for an adventurer? How about ANYWHERE?). If I knew where specifically to look and/or what to look for, I could at least get a group together and go explore the area.

All I'm really saying is that the quest hasn't been fun for me, not because the items are hard to get or anything (now that I know everything I need, it's sort of fun), but because I'm not an investigative journalist. Sitting at 3w and tell'ing questions to random clerics isn't my idea of enjoyable questing. Guess I'm weird like that.

Tagor

[This message has been edited by Tagor (edited 06-12-2002).]
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:48 pm

I agree.. dont actualy change the mobs that do the quests etc... just change it so your guild master starts you on the quest instead of

hmf ohh look its a ugly troll in jot i gota talk to him he might be inferno mob...

this way you have SOME idea of where to start in a more RP sense.. and being the mud is going towards RP i think this would work realy well....
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:36 am

Thing with so many quests is with the vagueness of the hints, the only way you going to find the mob is if you already know the entire mud already... and well if you already know the mud already, chances are you've learned the quest just through sheer gsay or assoc chat heh.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:36 am

Excatly...y guildmaster needs to let the "noob" know where to start...

even @ 50 your not gona know the whole dam mud enough to know that half the items you need are secrets /rarelods... a end item from another qeust..... yayayay you would know allll of that....
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:32 am

Not to mention when the first mob is rareload. Search the entire mud! Maybe he didn't load this boot. Do it again next boot! Repeat as neccessary.

------------------
Tog Vicious
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:49 am

no way, only "dedicated" players should be able to get all the cool quest eq and spells. course they didnt figure out most this shit by themselves, but its different in their case.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:04 am

don't even go there caz unless ya were joking!!!!

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:22 pm

He's half right though :P
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:46 pm

< RAMBLE >
Yeah, how did people figure out these quests in the first place? Did poeple actually go around asking every mob they saw? Did people bring a group of 15 level 50's just in case? How many times was the item you just spent 5 hours getting, given to the quest mob only to have it be the wrong thing? or was there perhaps some devine inspiration?

I also wish there was some way to determine how hard a quest is going to be. Ok so I gave this guy his flute back and now i'm supposed to go to some graveyard...is this the start of the horrendiously painfull res quest, or will I be getting 6 iron rations and an armor potion when I arrive at the grave yard?
I know I could always ask someone, but I think most of the fun from questing comes from being able to figure it out.
< / RAMBLE >

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:35 pm

How ress quest was figured out:

Start with quest which we knew from previous wipe. Search entire mud with no luck. Getting spanked from new zone repeatedly to finally find the next step mob. Search entire mud and return to the zone for three times in order to complete the quest. Damn!

This was done with well knowledged people with good connections and basically the support of entire evil population. Figure out the quest on your own without help? without begging? yeah right Image

Yssilk
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:55 pm

figuring out the quest w/o previous knowledge from last whipe? ya right.... players? ya right...
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:31 pm

am i wrong or wasn't lucuduzur the first and truly only evil to do full ress quest since the rest just heard the whole quest or had it done for them?
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:57 am

wrong as far as I know.

Lets get back to the topic...

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”