Troll Rangers!!!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Cruk
Sojourner

Troll Rangers!!!

Postby Cruk » Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:44 am

I know this may seem a silly suggestion, but I am posting it in an IDEAS FORUM for a FANTASY BASED role-playing on-line GAME. Mean like if ppls could even consider those sneaky dark elves being rangers, then what about Trolls? It would be just, well FUN Image
Anyways just an idea.

Cruk(Troll Ranger wannabe, my dual wield is now 27)

------------------
No I am not Crukk from Exile. He now plays a girly hooman palydork :P

[This message has been edited by Cruk (edited 06-11-2002).]
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:54 am

The funny thing is- ranger is the preferred class of Yuan Ti abominations in third edition. (The part snake, part humanoid kind). So troll rangers isn't that far out.

------------------
-Yayaril
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:48 am

I can see those trolls sneaking through the woods now!!! O wait thats HEAR!

*grin*

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:50 pm

Of course, under 3rd edition rules, having a gnome barbarian, halfling monk, or half-celestial half-dwarf character isn't exactly far out Image

"Your kneecaps are mine!"

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:09 pm

Actually, Trel, having a half celestial character in 3rd edition is pretty far out, unless your playing group is of the munchkin variety =9

The first 3rd edition campaign I dm'ed lasted for about 4 semesters. When one of the players said he was going to play a gnome monk, I just groaned. The character turned out really awesome. The monk had something to prove- and that's that size didn't matter. After the 2 year campaign ended, the gnome monk was the only character that hadn't died and had gone through the whole thing. I was skeptical at first of strange class/race combinations, but it can really spice up the game and make for interesting roleplay opportunities.

The gnome monk also reminded me of Goku from the Dragonball series- small, but packs a punch! One of the highlights of the game was when the gnome monk was swallowed and she ripped her way out of her foes stomach, killing him.

------------------
-Yayaril
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:17 pm

ahh yes this brings me back to my idea of the huntsman class for evils. Many evils say NO! But I see some of the younger upstarts are starting to wake up :P.

Spear chucking trolls, orcs, and ogres.

You hurl a sleek black spear to the east at Daz with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!

Kallinar sends you sprawling with a powerful MOO!

[This message has been edited by Kallinar (edited 06-11-2002).]
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:00 pm

Unrelated .. but why not ask it here ... (keep in mind i never played AD&D)

why are Anti-Paladin's goodie?

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:17 pm

Hehe, speaking of an interesting race/class combo, I loved the dwarf in the Clerical Quintet (FR series) that had an obsession with being a "doodad". Druid for those of you who didn't read it. And that determined dwarf became a decent one too I believe.

There are always exceptions to the race/class options available on the mud, but hey, gotta set limits somewhere. How often would you see troll invokers?

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:17 pm

Because they're human... not sure of the reason why they're all human, though. I think half-orcs and maybe orcs could be AP's, but since I was never a big-time D&D player, I could be wrong. Go ahead Treladian, tell 'em all about it.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:48 pm

I think you guys are all crazy. Rangers are stinky good aligned whiney beings Image Why would anyone want to be one???

Nilan
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:44 pm

You wouldnt wanna be a ranger anyway. Their primary dmg form sucks now from what I hear.

BTW, I think a yuan-ti ranger equivalent would be fun. They are kinda nature-oriented, so it isnt that far fetched.

------------------
Izarek / Raevithar / Fyzzlroo
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nilan:
<B>I think you guys are all crazy. Rangers are stinky good aligned whiney beings Image Why would anyone want to be one???

Nilan</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Nilan Image
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:11 pm

"Actually, Trel, having a half celestial character in 3rd edition is pretty far out, unless your playing group is of the munchkin variety =9"

Not necesarily if the rest of the party is of similar power and the DM is twisted enough to keep things accordingly challenging. Being able to be affected by spells that affect planar beings can be a nasty disadvantage Image

"why are Anti-Paladin's goodie?"

Anti-paladins represent a very specific type of evil much as paladins represent a very specific type of good, both of which originate from human belief systems. Specifically, anti-paladins are lawful evil, valuing order in a way that lets the strong control the weak. Most evil races don't have civilization that extends anywhere near as far as humans, so the doctrine of strict obedience to those stronger than you, including strong rulers, isn't something they can really adopt. Those that do have civilized settlements tend to be too chaotic. The important thing to remember is that an anti-paladin values order and law extremely highly. They will not kill a noble on the street to loot the corpse but they will gladly challenge them to a duel if they think their honor has been insulted if dueling is allowed in the area. Likewise, if they are of noble birth and have more rights than peasants in a city, they'll beat up a commoner for not showing enough respect (and possibly kill them if the law would allow it). An anti-paladin will not break a promise, they'll just be very careful about what they agree to do and how they agree to do it. Twisting words is acceptable, betrayal is not unless the person being betrayed is weak and unfit for power, in which case they need to be brought down to a proper, subservient position or just killed if it's not a popular figure. Orcs and ogres can sometimes be used as subservient minions for anti-paladins since they're sometimes intelligent enough to follow orders if paid, threatened, or beaten up enough (something anti-paladins of Loviatar, goddess of pain and torture, will probably be most fond of). However, since orcs and ogres tend to be rebellious, they tend to be killed often instead to rid the world of chaotic scum or just for kicks. They generally have no rights under the law after all. Most of the other evil humanoids are either too stupid (trolls), too chaotic (drow), or just conflict with the human gods that take anti-paladins as followers (yuan-ti). Basically, they'd rather see most of the evil races bleeding on an altar to Bane, Cyric, Loviatar, Mask, or other lawful evil god, or failing that, just bleeding on the ground, preferbly in the middle of a city to remind the peasants what's coming to them if they get too many ideas about "rights" or "freedom," as long as there aren't any laws about killing something in the streets like that in a city. Oppression and control is just as important to an anti-paladin as their own personal strength compared to others, while most evil races are only concerned about the latter, especially garnering enough of it to overthrow whoever is giving orders at the moment. Anti-paladins would rather use the orders being given to their advantage. That's basically what makes anti-paladins not very evil race friendly.

As a side note, the only non-human race that has anti-paladins are githyanki. ALL githyanki pay homage to a lich-queen like they would a diety. This produces an extremely orderly society that would never be seen among most evil races.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!

[This message has been edited by Treladian (edited 06-12-2002).]
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:42 pm

Good explanation Treladian. In all the games I've played and run of 3rd edition, I've yet to see a half-celestial. Of course, it would be a very special situation, with a lot of Roleplaying and story-writing, before I let a half-anything (other than orc or elf) in one of my campaigns.

------------------
-Yayaril
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:11 pm

Dear God use paragraphs!!

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:15 pm

If you're talking about Treladian's last post, then I see 5 distinct paragraphs. It just happens that the fourth paragraph is a bit larger than the rest.

------------------
-Yayaril
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:48 pm

That would be the paragraph where my mind was half split between having too much fun ending every third sentence with "or they would just kill them, if the law allowed it" and screaming "Hurry up and finish this damn thing! Your copy of Age of Wonders 2 arrived today, it's installed, and dammit, you know you want to raze halfling villages with an army of undead knights and orcish warlords transported by air galleys!" Image

------------------
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:27 am

New Evil Race: Drider... clone of ranger except an evil equivalent with full access to archery. Half elf/half spider, couple cool innates.

[This message has been edited by Bipple (edited 06-13-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:04 pm

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl Genasai!
rofl rofl rofl...

------------------
Dartan group-says 'why do I own so hard'
You whisper 'why do you own so hard?' to Dartan.
Dartan tells you 'I ask myself that every day.'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”