Flee!!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Flee!!

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:30 pm

I propose that flee be modified to add in a directional argument. This would give the player attempting to flee a chance to go in the direction they specified. I think it a bit silly that fleeing is so haphazard, especially in rooms upwards 200 feet wide. Is there no control, or do the characters just run randomly like chickens with their heads cut off. I know when I play Dungeons and Dragons, I pretty much decide which way to flee, and that decision is often influenced as to running in a direction that isn't occupied by more foes.

Maybe add in a little message and 1 round of lag before you flee, something to the effect of:

flee south
You begin to weave your way towards the most convenient southern exit.

Then if it works, you flee out that way, otherwise, if it fails, you may get this message:

Your foes seem to have cut you off from that avenue of retreat and you take the quickest route away!

This will hopefully clear up some of the annoyance of random fleeing and randomly fleeing into blocking code mobs. The equation for success can be modified by how many foes are attacking you at the given time (1 being the easiest and 20 making it very difficult), how big the room is, and how smart and wise you are.

------------------
-Yayaril
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:23 pm

I agree, because when i flee in real life. i _choose_ a direction, i don't close my eyes and run.

------------------
Leah A. W.
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>I propose that flee be modified to add in a directional argument ... and 1 round of lag ...
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is this different from retreat? And how would it work with wimpy?

------------------
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil - Orbdrin D'Oloth
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:50 pm

People who are actually engaged head on with a mob can't retreat, but it would be sort of a retreat for the tank if this idea was implemented.

Kallinar was here.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:29 pm

Wimpy would probably still send you in a random direction- since you would take the avenue of least resistance.

------------------
-Yayaril
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:05 am

How is this different from escape?

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:41 am

To answer your question Gromikazer, read my first post.

------------------
-Yayaril
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>To answer your question Gromikazer, read my first post.

Didn't look like you mentioned escape in the first one. I agree flee should always send you in a safe direction, but i still think it's a little chaotic that you can't pick which.. what're the odds of the game being able to calculate what mobs are adjacent vs which mobs are aggro etc..

Maybe to make the change, make retreat into what escape is now, and make escape a rogues chance at fleeing the room and switching to sneak/hide mode.

ie: Ensis retreats to the east!

but for rogues you get no message, its as if they've snuck out of the room and hidden in one of the adjacent ones?

Whatcha think

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:18 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ensis:
[B] Didn't look like you mentioned escape in the first one. I agree flee should always send you in a safe direction, but i still think it's a little chaotic that you can't pick which.. what're the odds of the game being able to calculate what mobs are adjacent vs which mobs are aggro etc..

Flee is a panic reaction to the situation, so I don't think you should be able to flee in a specific direction. In a "real battle" you aren't staying in one place, facing one direction and fighting, the opponents are constantaly trying to better their position and would lose track of where the exits are, to me you shouldn't even be able to "look" while in battle as all you're concentration is in the fight.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:27 pm

Ever try to get away from somebody in the middle of a tickle fight and end up tripping over something in your way? And tickles aren't even life-threatening.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:54 pm

Couple of observations about the new flee code.

1) It removes the possibility to do 1way fights with more than 1 character. This may have been a welcome change, but it is a change. I enjoyed solo clearing roots, but not a lot of people are going to be able to do that.

2) When I was going through roots and had to flee to get buffing spells, a weird thing happened. If I fled the wrong way - i.e. into the root I was actually disengaged from combat. If it wasn't blind the root would re-engage me, but I effectively managed to flee combat, if not the room.

Sylvos
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by muma:
<B>I agree, because when i flee in real life. i _choose_ a direction, i don't close my eyes and run.

now how does this make sense? if you are fleeing for your life, which means someone or something is trying to kill you, are you going to actually give a crap which way you flee away from them? Hell NO, your going to run whichever way presents itself first trying to save your hide.. its instict you dont have time to be choosy.

------------------
Baikalisan Terrorforge- Valsharess Elg'Caress - Orbdrin D'oloth
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
Ever try to get away from somebody in the middle of a tickle fight and end up tripping over something in your way? And tickles aren't even life-threatening.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tickling frightens the hell outta me. I think, in my case, it could quite possibly be life-threatening. That or if you were having a tickle fight at the top of the stairs and you trip... That could be bad.

- Grungar "I'm cranky if I don't get my breakfast by 2 pm" Forgefire
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>

your going to run whichever way presents itself first trying to save your hide.. its instict you dont have time to be choosy.

Actually, I disagree. These aren't 10 year old kids fighting monsters, (well maybe in rl), but these are war-hardened characters, that have been fighting as a style of life. I can't imagine a level 50 warrior who can't decide which way he's going to run. I think flee (dir) is a good idea and should be implemented, or at least put flee back the way it was, honestly I had no problem with the old way.

The way I envision it:

Perhaps all Tank classes get flee (direction) make it a skill if you want. The tank is tanking, the fight is going awry, non tanking classes (and other people) can use retreat or escape as usual, The warrior holds out as long as possible until everyone has cleared out, then types flee (direction) and gets out of there. I don't think that is overpowering or out of balance.

Besides, something new for us to look at:

You have learned something new about flee!

=)

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:13 pm

Another factor to consider is that in a fight, you're not going to mind hurting someone to MAKE a clear parth in the direction you want to go. You can knock down or push aside someone that's smaller or around the same size as you or hit a larger opponent in the abdomen, knee, shin, or other part of the body that won't do much structural damage but either affects movement or has a lot of pain senstive nerve endings to distract them and then go around them. Running mindlessly is something you only do once you've got some space from someone you're fighting.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:25 am

A different solution for this is currently on main, though there are a coupla glitches in it. But yes, blocking mobs will be taken into consideration by flee.

Should be fixed now.

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 07-05-2002).]
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:58 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baikalisan:
<B> now how does this make sense? if you are fleeing for your life, which means someone or something is trying to kill you, are you going to actually give a crap which way you flee away from them? Hell NO, your going to run whichever way presents itself first trying to save your hide.. its instict you dont have time to be choosy.

i have never had my life threatened in real life, but i have fleed before. i didn't say i was fleeing for my life, so therefore it DOES make sense!! See, when i panic.......Ok i don't actually panic, i just run either this way or that. eg: "Hmm, to head for the door or the window? The door!" (i made the choice to flee for the door, see?)

SEe my point at least?

Edit: when u flee in the game you don't panic. when u "PANIC! You couldn't escape!" <-- u can't escape when u panic. oooh i can't remember what else. Ok, i got yer point tho about the fleeing thing, but maybe we could see about roomsize? what if the room is HUGE and there is a lot of space to FLEE in, right? i can see if it's a 10 foot room wide or something, and u can hardly move past someone., anyways i'm done, that's all folks

------------------
Leah A. W.

[This message has been edited by muma (edited 07-07-2002).]
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:56 am

Agree ashiwi! Tickle fights are dangerous, I have fled into many a thing to break around the house in tickle fights, self included. I am possibly the most ticklish person on the earth however. I remember a friends dad had an expression 'too much laughing always leads to crying' hehe, a bit depressing but seemed to apply to tickle fights!

------------------

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”