New Spell for Invokers

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Suimar
Sojourner

New Spell for Invokers

Postby Suimar » Thu May 30, 2002 8:33 pm

I like playing an invoker, but have found it almost impossible to solo anything worthwhile. Some mobs that con as easy or needle can whip me even when I am vitted.
Its almost impossible to explore the game without having to form a large group, because we can't heal, can't word out, and can take such minimal damage. To remedy this I would like to suggest that invokers get a spell such as 'SUMMON DEMON', so that we may better explore the game. I would suggest the demon have less HP than a shaman's pet, but better damage and agility. I would think this would let us explore some more areas without so much risk. By the time we find out a mob is aggro, we get crunched. At least we would be able to send the pet in to determine if a mob is aggro, and maybe save us a few rounds of tanking.
To balance this I would think that meteor swarm could be replaced. Meteor swarm in general doesn't seem to do the damage I was hoping for, and doesn't have any side effects to make up for it. I would much rather see invokers get a summon demon spell instead.

Thanks,
Suimar
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu May 30, 2002 8:45 pm

I agre about swarm
but disagrea about the pet, its not our place to have a pet, if u need/want one, go zoning for one :P
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Thu May 30, 2002 9:41 pm

As an invoker, I must say that although it is not necessarily our place to have pets, something should be done about our survivability. No teleport spell cast be cast quickly enough to flee from a pounding, and even with 95 agi, coldshield, and -50 ac, I too am sometimes smooshed flat by even Easy con mobs. Anything larger and I won't survive more than a round or two.

Apparently familiars were not a favored idea, and as Zoldren pointed out, there are several good questable mage tanks *drooling while remembering the fun days with my smoke para-elemental*. Shielding spells will only help so much, and they belong to enchanters regardless. With the number of mobs that di, exploring with invis is perilous at best. Although I have not played enough to comfortably suggest anything, I think that this issue does deserve at least some deliberation. As far as I know, we are the only class that cannot explore the new and iinteresting aspects of the ever-changing, ever-growing world we inhabit.

Whether the solution lies within spells or stats, tanking or escaping, hopefully something can be done to help our class survive.

-Nikelon Zol'Lek -Warlock- Rising Phoenix
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu May 30, 2002 11:42 pm

warriors cant explore.
no moves
no invis
no sneak
no heals
we are one shot disposable tanks in the wild.

------------------
One, I don't know who in the hell you are.
Two, I don't CARE who in the hell you are.
This isn't personal.
THIS IS A GAME.

Erevan
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Fri May 31, 2002 12:49 am

Squids can't explore either.
We only have dangersense, levitate, bodycontrol, globe of darkness, shift and rift to help us explore...

Oh wait...nevermind.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Fri May 31, 2002 1:31 pm

Speaking as a shaman I would not mind seeing an invoker get a small pet. I would think along the lines of the illusionist one (can't remember the name). I don't think it should do much damage at all. The idea would be the ability to send it in lit to die not to be a tank while the invoker nukes the hell out of the mob.

The only concern I would have would be if this would limit the roll of druid and illusionists in a zone group. Not sure it would but it might.

Also, there are scrolls that can summon elementals out there(I know a level 23 voker that uses these all the time to solo) . They are quite handy.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri May 31, 2002 10:39 pm

maybe if pwk worked on mobs that were hurt or smaller than us we could explore *cough*
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Fri May 31, 2002 11:40 pm

AHEM!!!

Just because you successfully PWK'd me twice in a row just 10 minutes ago, does not mean you hafta rub it in my face (jk) =P

It would be cool, but how often are you going to run into a mob that is lower than needle-easy that you couldnt deal with normally, like with a coldshield and minute...
I dunno what's out there, but that's how my (messed-up?) logic works.

Clueless,
-Nikelon Zol'Lek -Warlock- Rising Phoenix
Anaram
Sojourner

Postby Anaram » Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:50 am

Problems with invokers are not a lack of spells or need of new spells, just make the class what it is supposed to be; Damage

MR is a joke right now, makes vokers 2nd to useless in a group unless an illusionist is there, then maybe 50% of the time we are usefull since flux doesn't hit more than 50% and you'll rarely find a group with both invokers and illusionists in it.

Being that invokers spend years studying spells of mass damage, wouldn't you think we would have found a kink or workaround in the whole MR thing. After fighting xxx number of demons, dragons, etc, wouldn't we have honed our skills a bit.

A cleric can heal the same amount of damage on anyone they cast their spell on, they don't worry about magic resist or if their spell will zap them because they cast it on the same PC that another cleric casts it on. An enchanter doesn't miscast a globe on accident, which magnifies the effects of lower level spells, etc. Why is it that invokers can't be nearly as perfect at their jobs as the other mage/clerical classes are at theirs.

-Anaram
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:20 am

I never hesitate to bring a invoker with any/all zones i lead. Even if MR is making 50% of your spells fail, you are STILL doing more then every other casting class.

Should we remove wraith mobs from the game, because hitters do 1/2 damage versus them. Should we remove stone skin and similar defensive spells so that a hitter can do damage?

Not every class is created equal, Period. If a Invoker is not your style, try something else. Sojourn hosts a robust selection of classes and races to choose from.

Comparing non-area, none offensive spells, to the best area, offensive spells is silly at best. Invokers ARE the best at what they do. They do damage.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth

[This message has been edited by Gromikazer (edited 06-01-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:26 pm

Suimar, it's an interesting idea, but if a pet had better agility than a shaman's pet, (read: gets hit less often) and you could summon an unlimited number of them, invokers could solo insanely well. I think the idea may have some promise, but as stated it's somewhat imbalancing.

If you want a pet just for exploring, I propose a spell that summons a mini-elemental, like elementalists' mephits. They are clearly of no use for actual tanking beyond level 20, and would not (imho) imbalance things.

Daz, you know I love you man, but I do have to point out that you keep comparing mages to warriors.

There is a fundamental difference. If you read many DnD stories, warriors depend on potions for those spell effects they can't cast.

Are there sense life, di, invis, heal, vit potions? Yes.

Can you teleport yourself out, as a melee class? Well, no. So in the end, some classes are better for exploring than others. That's not to say you can't explore at all, it's just that the risks are greater.

Kudos to all for being polite so far.

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:32 pm

"Problems with invokers are not a lack of spells or need of new spells, just make the class what it is supposed to be; Damage
MR is a joke right now, makes vokers 2nd to useless in a group unless an illusionist is there, then maybe 50% of the time we are usefull since flux doesn't hit more than 50% and you'll rarely find a group with both invokers and illusionists in it."

When you can do the work of 5 or more hitters, having half or even 3/4 of your spells blocked by MR isn't exactly cutting into your job security. Tons of stuff reduces or blocks or otherwise interferes with physical damage, they're just not as spammy as those shrug messages.

"A cleric can heal the same amount of damage on anyone they cast their spell on, they don't worry about magic resist or if their spell will zap them because they cast it on the same PC that another cleric casts it on. An enchanter doesn't miscast a globe on accident, which magnifies the effects of lower level spells, etc. Why is it that invokers can't be nearly as perfect at their jobs as the other mage/clerical classes are at theirs."

Because you do damage and ways to prevent damage along with how to overcome those countermesaures are some of the core components of game play on the mud. There are tons of ways to reduce or prevent physical damage and likewise there are a few ways to reduce or prevent magical damage now. It's all a part of the game when your job is to make things say "ouch."

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:39 pm

Evils may take invokers on plenty of zones. I'm glad for them, but you don't have as big a playerbase nor as many hitter classes so you're kinda stuck with what people want to play. With current variety, we're a novelty, as stated many times on this BBS, and not required for any zone in the game, even crypts.

It has nothing to do with whether the class is right or not for a given person, mobs should not shrug on a regular basis 50% of the 8th circle+ spells thrown at it per round no matter what class you are, let alone ours. If so, have stone/dscales randomly "not work" 50% of the time, and have fheal fail to heal 50% of the time and see how much fun you have playing too.
Anaram
Sojourner

Postby Anaram » Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:58 am

Grom Said
Should we remove wraith mobs from the game, because hitters do 1/2 damage versus them. Should we remove stone skin and similar defensive spells so that a hitter can do damage?
-------------------------------------------
Good point and one I neglected to think about. Though do keep in mind you are comparing magics vs melee. If someone takes a punch at you, and you are trained in arts of fighting, as warriors, guards, barbarians, etc are, then it would make sense melee would be blocked more in comparison to someone standing 50 yards away shooting a near instantanious magical death your way.

Grom Said
Not every class is created equal, Period. If a Invoker is not your style, try something else. Sojourn hosts a robust selection of classes and races to choose from.

Comparing non-area, none offensive spells, to the best area, offensive spells is silly at best. Invokers ARE the best at what they do. They do damage.
-------------------------------------------

I play an invoker because it IS my favorite class to play. I'm not asking to have invokers upgraded in any way shape or form, IMHO they are one of the most balanced classes in the game, completely one sided.

As far as the comparison goes, how is it "silly at best". The point I was making is no other casting class has the same restrictions against them and their magics. Every other class can cast their primary spells with 100% accuracy which can easily be attributed to the fact that they are professionals and experts in their respective fields (fheal for clerics, stone/globe for chanters, ele's for elementalists). If so, why can invokers not have the same advantages of being the best in their profession. MR makes sence for an enchanter casting a spell against a mob because they have not devoted their lives to destructive magic's, but for those of us who have, we should have advantages and know of ways around MR.

-Anaram
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:19 am

Anaram -

So why don't hitters just get the ability to bypass defensive skills, and why don't warriors block every attack aimed at them?

MR is for variety in the game, there are NOT that many zones in the game that have more than 30% of the mobs in the zone with some sort of MR.

You can kill almost any humanoid/animal form, isn't that enough? If you want to take out MR, why not just delete rogues and rangers since they will be utterly worthless then.

Sometimes strategy plays a role in who you take to a zone. Don't like MR? Play a different class.

Twyl

------------------
Not as lost...

<P:std> lost
You are totally and utterly lost! Next time bring a compass!
< 401h/401H 128v/128V >
<P:std> You receive an ornate compass from Twyl.
You give an ornate compass to Twyl.
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:46 am

I don't think he wants MR removed but maybe Invokers could get a skill that gives them a chance to bypass MR.

Maybe give it to them around lv 40.

If it was made to fail as much as I fail QC then it couldn't be over-powered! Image

/sszan
Anaram
Sojourner

Postby Anaram » Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:32 pm

Twyl Said
So why don't hitters just get the ability to bypass defensive skills, and why don't warriors block every attack aimed at them?
--------------------------------------------

There is a considerable difference between the speed of the mind and the speed of the body. Warrior types DO block alot of mele damage with shieldblock, dodge, parry and riposte. I didn't say remove MR all together, I said make invokers better at getting through it since doing damage is our primary reason of being.

primary reason of being for a ranger: leader and forester

primary reason for being a rogue: assassination, theft, knowing how to live outside the law

primar reason for being an invoker: damage, plain and simple.

Where is the confusion here...

Twyl Said
MR is for variety in the game, there are NOT that many zones in the game that have more than 30% of the mobs in the zone with some sort of MR.

You can kill almost any humanoid/animal form, isn't that enough? If you want to take out MR, why not just delete rogues and rangers since they will be utterly worthless then.

Sometimes strategy plays a role in who you take to a zone. Don't like MR? Play a different class.
--------------------------------------------
1) the 30% of the mobs that have MR are the mobs that not having the ability to do our jobs makes us near worthless in zones. A leader doesn't need an invoker to take out the piddly stuff quickly. We are needed to help with the big stuff.

2) As far as killing any humanoid/animal, yes, this is true, but what's different between that and a rogue/ranger being able to do the same thing. The only difference lies in the fact that an invoker can do it with area spells. Also, explain how rangers/rogues will be useless. Rangers/rogues do not have to mem for their damage. It would take a zone leader 2x the time if there were no rogues/rangers in the group just because have to mem so often. Also rogues/rangers have other abilities to utilize then just damage, invokers do not they are strictly damage with no other tricks up their sleeves.

3) when that stratagy neglects invokers a good part of the time because they have an inability to take part in the main portions of a zone because they are virtually useless, that's a problem. And I have no desire to play a differnt class as I have stated before.

On a side note, quick stats

Silverwing, fight last night
5 force missiles fired for a volly total of 15 missiles, only 3 got through MR, 4 fell frosts, none hit (though the effect did work) and 1 sandblast hit. Hrm.. do you really think I contributed to that fight :P

-Anaram
It's funny how most who play/have played invokers agree, yet those who havnt don't... Go figure.

[This message has been edited by Anaram (edited 06-02-2002).]
Anaram
Sojourner

Postby Anaram » Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:59 pm

I have a feeling I'm going to get beat down soon since for the first time I saw multiple invokers in a jot run and southern forest run today...

-Anaram
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:59 pm

hmmm.. just wondering.. does anyone here knows that MR is also lvl based? ah, figured.. please drive thru...
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:27 pm

1) Err, I have played an invoker.
2) Ranger utility in a zone... riiiight.
3) I'm not even going to bother with this. Take out MR! Invokers are too weak, yadayada...

yep...

------------------
Not as lost...

<P:std> lost
You are totally and utterly lost! Next time bring a compass!
< 401h/401H 128v/128V >
<P:std> You receive an ornate compass from Twyl.
You give an ornate compass to Twyl.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:32 am

Non-aggressive spells don't fail because Magic Resistance is something the target of the spell chooses to use. If you want to resist your full heal and dragonscales then there is something wrong with you. If you want to resist that fury of magical fiery death aimed at your precious parts, congratulations, you are sane.

I think the obvious (well I think it is at least) solution to the problem is to make magic resistance not an all or nothing thing. Make offensive magic be resisted partially, dependent on the circle of the spell, some random numbers, and the magic resistance of the target.

Maybe that dragon has such high magic resistance that it would take the highest random number possible to give it %40 of the full damage from your force missle.

Maybe that giant has enough magic resistance to shrug completely your lower random rolls, but the highest ones get through %90+ full damage from your inferno.

Maybe that might make the total average damage be about the same, but at least it won't feel like you're shooting blanks 7 times out of 10.

Anyway, it kind of reminds me of the new +arrow missile shield system.

------------------
Tog Vicious
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:49 am

I'd like to see a 9th circle, targetted, quested, long-casting-time, Invoker damage spell which does maybe half the damage of Force Missiles at level 50, but which cannot be resisted by any mob unless that mob is 100% resistant to magic.

No effects, just some damage. At half the damage of a triple-FM, it shouldn't really unbalance anything.

Make a special role-play story behind it, something like: The long-(un)dead Archmage Kern Shikorath was once, in his living years, eavesdropping on the High Council of Mages and heard a wizard named Humphart talk about a spell he was working on that couldn't be resisted by demons. Kern, evil basta that he is, invited Humphart over for tea, ambushed him, and held him captive. Kern's torturing methods were a bit too, um, zealous, and Humphart died before divulging the reagents necessary for the spell. As we all know, Kern eventually came out as an evil basta and then turned himself into a lich. Hundreds of years later, Kern is hanging out in his tower, built on the ruins of a once great nation. He's never figured out Humphart's mystery, but he bets he could find clues if he had someone helping him. What about YOU?

------------------
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:55 pm

Anaram: "There is a considerable difference between the speed of the mind and the speed of the body. Warrior types DO block alot of mele damage with shieldblock, dodge, parry and riposte."

You're a MAGE, not a psionicist. More than that, you're an INVOKER, you're source of power comes from INVOKING energy from other planes or sources of power, NOT from yourself. Even if someone can't tell what you're casting, they'll be able to tell that you're casting long before your spell actually finishes. You're analogy is heavily flawed since magic is seldom anywhere near instantatenous or discrete, but that has little to do with any pertininent points of debate.

"I didn't say remove MR all together, I said make invokers better at getting through it since doing damage is our primary reason of being."

You already do have an indirect method of doing so just by the sheer power of your spells compared to other casters. But should rogues/rangers get abilities that let them better at getting through high ac/damage reduction, stone/scales, blur, displace, wraithform, parry/block/dodge, mirror image, non ac related damage reduction, and that rare but neat little flag you can put on mobs that lets them ignore your damroll entirely because physical damage is their primary reason for being in a group? Of course, the higher rate of attack of both classes compared to the other fighter subclasses means that they have an indirect way of overcoming those defenses already, just like the sheer damage advantage an invoker has in regards to MR.

"primary reason of being for a ranger: leader and forester

primary reason for being a rogue: assassination, theft, knowing how to live outside the law

primar reason for being an invoker: damage, plain and simple.

Where is the confusion here..."

The only confusion here seems to be what mud we're playing on. Your first two examples assume a mud where there's some use to being a forester or knowing how to live outside of the law, ie where more than 2 high level zones have nature or any have any laws (or avoid having keys and nice items not flagged !steal). In that case the primary reason for being an invoker should be "spells from the evocation/invocation schools of magic" which contains many spells that are not there to just damage opponents in D&D. Since neither invokers, rogues, nor rangers have access to many of their non-combat D&D skills in any meaningful way on the mud, all three have a primary role of "damage, plain and simple."

"2) As far as killing any humanoid/animal, yes, this is true, but what's different between that and a rogue/ranger being able to do the same thing. The only difference lies in the fact that an invoker can do it with area spells. Also, explain how rangers/rogues will be useless. Rangers/rogues do not have to mem for their damage. It would take a zone leader 2x the time if there were no rogues/rangers in the group just because have to mem so often. Also rogues/rangers have other abilities to utilize then just damage, invokers do not they are strictly damage with no other tricks up their sleeves."

2x the time? You're neglecting the fact that you easily do more than 5x the damage of any hitter on a SINGLE mob even if you include time spent running in and out to mem spells. No leader is going to say "everyone mem but the invokers," and there are plenty of times for you to mem alongside the enchanters and clerics and no reason for you to take any significant amount of time longer than them. And rogues have useful skills but ranger utility is a joke, there's virtually nothing a ranger can do that any other mage class, including an invoker, can't do using their 1st level detect spells and minor creation. On top of that, gate and relo are HIGHLY useful utility spells, they're just not unique. But anyone who's ever wound up in a fight gone horribly wrong and require teh group to hop a portal to smoke or EP knows how useful even just one extra gater can be.

"Silverwing, fight last night
5 force missiles fired for a volly total of 15 missiles, only 3 got through MR, 4 fell frosts, none hit (though the effect did work) and 1 sandblast hit. Hrm.. do you really think I contributed to that fight :P"

So what? That's one fight out of many in Jot? How much do you think one non-tanking hitter contributes to 2nd gatehouse? Nowhere near as much as anyone that has a source of area damage. As a better example, how about the last room of southern forest? At least 6 wraithform casters, 4 warriors, and 2 solid casters/warriors. How much do you think any one hitter contributes to a fight where half the mobs ignore half of their damage compared to an invoker? There are TONS of fights where either a hitter or invoker doesn't contribute much or as much as one or the other.

Mplor: "I'd like to see a 9th circle, targetted, quested, long-casting-time, Invoker damage spell which does maybe half the damage of Force Missiles at level 50, but which cannot be resisted by any mob unless that mob is 100% resistant to magic.
No effects, just some damage. At half the damage of a triple-FM, it shouldn't really unbalance anything."

This would be interesting to see. Given its parameters, it wouldn't allow an invoker to really do that much more damage than they already can to most magically resistant mobs(and the balancing factors of its circle and casting times would make it, well, balanced for the damage), but it certainly would give an illusion of such against most of them (and be genuinely useful against dragons and celestials) which I think is the big source of frustration.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.

[This message has been edited by Treladian (edited 06-03-2002).]
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:31 pm

Yeah, exactly. The source of the most visceral frustration is from seeing all those full resists, not from adding up the numbers in your head. An unresistable medium-damage spell with a long cast time wouldn't significantly increase the damage output (balance = OKIE), but would really help the Invoker's perception of their contribution. It's one way to answer the complaints without altering game balance.

Mp

------------------
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:53 am

Thats a good idea Mplor. If we imp that, lets make invokers more real. Remove gate and relo from invokers. Its in a school they aren't supposed to have.

We do people given a inch, take a mile?

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:06 pm

Yes invokers can have gate/relo even in fr/dnd

hmmm.. just wondering.. does anyone here knows that MR is also lvl based? ah, figured.. please drive thru...

Who zoldren
50 Drow Invoker Zoldren

mr with flux >> Zoldren
please drive thru..

for example....
deva fluxed === shruged all zoldren (granted angel) seen many mobs that shrug all voker spells and had to melee them to death

vokers are probably the best balance class on the mud as far as classes

as far as vokers vs mobs i will hold my vote...
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:14 pm

With Mplor's spell there would be a whole lot less memming, too, as so many spells wouldn't be wasted buffeting the creature's Spell Resistance.

------------------
-Yayaril
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:38 pm

why can't you buy a pet to test to see if something is aggro? bring like 10 rottweilers with you or something :P

(or am i missing something here and that isn't possible or this isn't the problem?)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:24 am

the only thing that bugs me is number of mobs that get MR, and the ones that get it just because they are type x. Im not thinking of things like Dragons and Demons, but things like elemental's and wraith's all shrugging magic.

I would think about it like this. Creatures of magical nature should be more susceptible to magic in most cases especially if they are more resistant to melee. Wraiths will by my example. 1/2 melee dam + shrug. Makeing mobs that are resistant to all attack methods should be allowed but they should be relatively rare, theme specific, or bosses. Again i suggest some mobs that take double melee dam or double spelldam to provide variety...

I also tend to think that this is our own creation and our own narrow view. consider the rampant use of dragons, cyric isn't writing dragons wraiths and demons into every zone we are. we went to scorps the other night and i was like sweet a zone where we dont need all prot and risk blowing up eq. gee you can make a hard zone with great eq that isn't dragon infested, imagine that. Same could be said of undead/wraiths/nature zones... but someone has to do it.

on the narrow view, um really how many zones are as shrug infested as we say...
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:38 am

In the scope of Sojourn, there are only so many ways to make a mob or a room difficult.

1. Dragons. Dragons poof equipment, they require prots. We hate poofing bags.

2. No-bash casters. They're tough because you can't take advantage of their weakness by bringing bashers. How much fun is the wraith room in SF? No-bash casters are tedious.

3. Hoards of warrior mobs. Lots of warrior mobs aren't even that difficult, until you reach critial mass where the warriors can't fend them all off without help (manscorp king room). The more warrior mobs you pack into a room, the more damage they do before they all die to inferno at the same time.

4. Mobs with STRONG procs, like jabber or death procs. Show of hands, who likes death procs? Yeah me either.

5. Demons with MR that gate in other demons. Again, we've seen this already, and casters don't like high MR.

Really, after looking through the area docs, I don't immediately see many other ways to make zone mobs difficult individually. If you want to increase the difficulty of a zone, you can add wandering aggros or traps, but it's truly difficult to continually come up with unique and difficult mobs. Particularly for new zone makers.

- Ragorn
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:02 am

I love invokers..
Kinda sad to see so few of them now
People tell me invokers are the reasons zones don't spank.
Not enough invokers in the game left, we are almost becoming a forgotten class. I would not be surprised if they just fell out altogether.
They are the most well balanced class, I doubt anything will be changed about them and any griping we do will be shot down because of that Image .
Groups would rather take rangers and rogues to cut down mem time and not have to deal with spells failing.
Will always play an invoker. Thanks for putting the class in. I have to learn that quest for para elementals one of these days.

Have fun everyone, please don't start flaming, I beg while on both knees, groveling on the ground.

Never said this before but.. 3nj0y!

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:31 am

well I'll go there Image

noone would dare flame Jennie ... but they might *go there* about the on the knees thing...

err I did and im female

rofl (must be the sailor side of me)

hehe sorry Jen I couldnt resist!!

on a side note ... i will smite kallinor!!! I cant even spend time ona peaceful plane without being called Bosom !!!

rofl!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:50 pm

I rolled an invoker just for you Jen! =P He would be alotta fun if i could get one spell off before getting to pretty hurt! heh

------------------
"Incoming force missles have the right of way!"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:25 pm

We keep talking here about to high MR on demons and dragons but hell as an invoker i can live with that ( except 90%MR like demogorgon) but why i see my spells my spell being shrugged by mobs that should't have it?
If think MR on ie bloodriders in MS is simply annoying.
Or Zog to name another. Zog has what 60%MR? my guess would be even more. Is it put in for a theme or just to make a fight that cant be owned quickly by 3 invokers?
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:15 am

As 48th invoker, I've died so many damned times exploring it ISN'T funny! I partially agree w/Suimar - I think that it'd be cool to have a spell that is VERY weak offensively, but can stun or maybe just blind w/o fail, who knows...I was thinking of blinding light or plasma orb that would make the mob busy...too busy to track. Problem is how would it not be abused. Secondly, was thinking anything offensive toward mob would dispel the effect, but then, that would make the spell illusionary in nature, imho. Vokers are the epitome of power, maybe they can intimidate or have a spell that makes a mob too irritated to bother chasing you. Suimar's cacaball stinks so bad, all you wanna do is wipe your face! - that giving you time to escape...*chuckle* I think the relocate spell has so much lag whether it fails or not. It's not fair when it fails, you are SOL! The dim lag isn't anything for a mob, cuz they dim and track your shit - that's not considered unfair. Maybe make relo lag less as well How's that for shifting the subject Image ** This just came to mind for the mob that tracks your ass..how bout 'Dull sense' or something that stunts the track skill for a few seconds. hear it now: You got 4 seconds to get your ass outta here, Mister! hehe

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Drache:
<B>As 48th invoker, I've died so many damned times exploring it ISN'T funny! I partially agree w/Suimar - I think that it'd be cool to have a spell that is VERY weak offensively, but can stun or maybe just blind w/o fail, who knows...I was thinking of blinding light or plasma orb that would make the mob busy...too busy to track. Problem is how would it not be abused. Secondly, was thinking anything offensive toward mob would dispel the effect, but then, that would make the spell illusionary in nature, imho. Vokers are the epitome of power, maybe they can intimidate or have a spell that makes a mob too irritated to bother chasing you. Suimar's cacaball stinks so bad, all you wanna do is wipe your face! - that giving you time to escape...*chuckle* I think the relocate spell has so much lag whether it fails or not. It's not fair when it fails, you are SOL! The dim lag isn't anything for a mob, cuz they dim and track your shit - that's not considered unfair. Maybe make relo lag less as well How's that for shifting the subject Image ** This just came to mind for the mob that tracks your ass..how bout 'Dull sense' or something that stunts the track skill for a few seconds. hear it now: You got 4 seconds to get your ass outta here, Mister! hehe

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough* 48 voker?
help skill invoker
sandblast == blind/silence
blazing beam read help blazing == "it has a chance to blind the victim"
power word stun = self explanitory
major para/minor para == self explanitory
fell frost = chance to slow, low chance to para
slowness==go figure

people who dont know their class, or do not play said classes should not comment on said subject

but yet you only asked for something to blind/stun right?

oo and btw
INVOKERS WERE NOT MADE TO EXPLORE

roll a shaman or a lich if you wana explore or some class like that
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:48 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zoldren:
[B] *cough* 48 voker?

** Ooh, so you wanna sit there for blazing beam ** or sandblast *** while a way harder hitting mob stomps yer ass? maybe you misunderstood. Any class should be able to explore, some better than others...I'm understand very well capabilities of the class. I don't like having garbage hps and a tracking mob will beat your butt waaay before you get lucky on a side effect of a spell.

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:01 am

Boy..Zoldren needs to drop the 'tude. Obvious if a mob is strong enough to make you flee, you don't have time to cast all those stupid spells he listed praying for an effect that is kinda rare in the first place. Most stuff that you walk into while exploring that tracks is pretty tough or worse. And who are you to say Invokers aren't for exploring? Why wouldn't the most offensively powerful class be able to hold it's own?

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:40 am

sorry have to agree with zoldren.. invokers are like monks.. all damage and no defense. of course if u still want to be able to explore with invoker u can.. just takes a little skill and potions. Image

and i also agree with zoldren that not all classes are made to explore. try explore with warrior. good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Burpie:
<B>Boy..Zoldren needs to drop the 'tude. Obvious if a mob is strong enough to make you flee, you don't have time to cast all those stupid spells he listed praying for an effect that is kinda rare in the first place. Most stuff that you walk into while exploring that tracks is pretty tough or worse. And who are you to say Invokers aren't for exploring? Why wouldn't the most offensively powerful class be able to hold it's own?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”