New ranged ability?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Calinth
Sojourner

New ranged ability?

Postby Calinth » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:13 am

Yeah, I know we just got archery back and all, but I was thinking. Rangers and rogues are the only classes without an area effect ability(okay, rangers now get call lightning at 9th circle) how about adding in a new skill along the lines of hitall, but with ranged weapons. Allow one shot per mob, some sick, ungodly lag time, and possibly a reduction in damage. And yes, I spent way too much time playing Diablo II.

Calinth Winterleaf
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:37 am

heh, you ever play SoM?

Rising swallow toss! haha.
Kerath
Sojourner

Postby Kerath » Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:59 am

Flying Swallow Toss, I thought it was. I love that game.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Calinth:
Yeah, I know we just got archery back and all, but I was thinking. Rangers and rogues are the only classes without an area effect ability</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you aren't counting warriors out because of hitall, this skill is about as useful as the mount skill Image

E
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:17 am

I can just see the faerun without the mount skill... People walking around wearing saddles on themselves, other people sitting on the horse's head...

Life without mount is like life without ventriloquate. Imagine the possibilities.

- Grungar "Bedtime for this dorf" Forgefire
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:17 am

Yeah, I know hitall rather sucks, but that horse has been beaten unconscious. Hopefully it'll be fixed/upgraded eventually. And yes, I was counting that, which is why I suggested making this area shot work like hitall. I wasn't suggesting giving rangers/rogues an area ability equivalent to inferno or anything.

Calinth
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:27 am

all i can say is rangers got enough shit, they dont need more. useful or useless
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:40 am

Well, I made it 4 hrs before Kiryan threw in his .02 Lira

Calinth
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:50 pm

Dont take this personally, Calinth. I dont think this would be useful. The lag alone would prevent me from wanting to use it and we dont need it. BTW I love to use Call lightning.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:03 pm

That would make luring in CC more interesting . . . Image
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:13 pm

As much fun as pulling every mob within 3 rooms of you on air plane would be, that's not quite what I had in mind, Trel Image

Calinth
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:24 pm

Did you think a Ranger thread would go by without Kiryan telling you that all goodie classes are too strong already?

I'm surprised he didn't say anything about paladins Image

- Ragorn
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:00 am

What on earth would the point of this be?

Other than instant death of course Image

Oh, I get it...is it for doing align work on a room full of spiders? Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Sun Dec 16, 2001 10:57 pm

While I'll freely admit that the idea struck me while doing align work, I still think it could be somewhat useful at times. Such as in multi mob fights, like say Mahdrel in IC. Afire on Mahdrel, then every so often you get shots off at his guards. Is it going to turn a fight around? *shrug* Possible, but not likely. Will it be used often? Unless there's enough warriors that the ranger has no need to try rescuing, nope(unless the lag time on skills like this is reworked.)

To explain what I mean with the lag time, something like what I think Treladian suggested in a different thread. Where skills like hitall, kick, whatever others you want have a recycle time before they can be reused, but don't prevent you from doing other commands like is in use for forage, or tame, lay hands, and assassinate.

Calinth
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kerath:
Flying Swallow Toss, I thought it was. I love that game.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:39 pm

Ragorn clamps his eyes shut and begins firing arrows about the room frantically!

A carven arrow flies wild x10000

dear god..give them this skill but make the chance for stuff to go out of the room greater and harder to hit things...make it small lag...i just want to see rangers luring a million mobs.

Mudfun = element of danger...Toarn wields a silverish two-handed githyanki longsword.
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>What on earth would the point of this be?

Other than instant death of course Image

Oh, I get it...is it for doing align work on a room full of spiders? Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Help strafe Image *poke* Shev

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I had to

Cal

------------------
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:59 am

help strafe... has nothing to do with arrows at all... are ya on crack? :P

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gromikazer:
<B>help strafe... has nothing to do with arrows at all... are ya on crack? :P

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, he's not on crack. Give him a break, he's been working hard. Jumping around, landing on conclusions is hard work. Image

Sylvos
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:55 am

Thanks Sylvos Image
Yeah, so I made a mistake assuming what appears from the name to be a hitall type ability, for a class created partially to give evils a ranged weapons ability, was an area arrow shot. But I'll stand by my feeling that it wouldn't be as worthless an ability as Shev makes it seem. Especially if hitall is useful enough to create a new version of hitall for dire raiders.

Cal

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”