Hometown quests

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Jorus
Sojourner

Hometown quests

Postby Jorus » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:05 pm

So I was doing some thinking...

Ok, now that everyone has run for cover, here goes.

I think it might be interesting if quests could be put in place to allow re-homing of characters outside of the (eventual) guildhall context.

The available hometowns could be determined by alignment and race (so good aligned humans couldn't re-home to bloodstone, or to mithril hall).

It could be done in one of a number of ways, for example quests from the ruler of the destination city (Lord P might have some tasks he wants done, and will let you move to the city).

This could be useful for RP, or any number of other things. I have met evil dwarves and elves who would LOVE to be able to move somewhere else (Bloodstone or Viperstongue, perhaps?).

I don't see that there would be any game balance consequences to this, although it would be best to only have it available at a difficulty level that would prevent trivial or excess hometown changes.

With something like this, I could picture MANY of the towns scattered throughout the realms being given a "rehome" spot, so people really truly can "live" in some RP-appropriate location. Some thought would be neccesary to prevent item twinking via this, of course.

It would also be great to see some more non-eq-reward quests, and I think something like this might be neat for that.

Regards,
Jorus
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:18 pm

Omg.. It SUCKS being an evil elven mage in Leuth.. But SCREW the guards.. I'm not gonna stop my RP because of of that Goodie Goodie town.

If i'm evil why don't they banish me to Viperstongue.. I would LOVE this. As it is now.. only way I can leave that stupid town is to get res'd out..

they dont' even allow us mages to teleport (gate/relo) out of our own mage tower!!!

*end rant*

well speak of the devil.. lol.. i just got kilt on ms by a raging maelstrom of...well the darn king agro'd me. :P woops. wonder where the ressers are.. *peer* *mutter*

Drathlaen Winterfyre

------------------
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:20 pm

You know.. you'd think they could atleast make the booze in the mage tower free so we could get drunk while we wait!!

------------------
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:39 pm

Or how bout this..

Have a book/quill shop in here that can take from the bank account so i can just invis and get out.

------------------

Drath/Drathlaen Winterfyre
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:41 pm

RP or not, going evil as an elf, when you know the consequences, is silly. :P

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:50 pm

OMG, am I agreeing with Malacar? Life isn't supposed to be easy for evil elves.
Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:52 pm

I didnt' know the consequences..

I was told that I would get outcasted.. changed to viperstongue.

By the time I died and found out I was so evil, it's hard to come back.. I've actually been trying to go back to neutral, because, it's pretty lame. But now I've been evil so long that I don't really want to go back. I just make sure there's a resser in the group when I zone.

It's just an annoyance now. Why not allow people to change their hometown ONE time.. Ya it could be stupid if you allow for more than one.. But why not allow ONE change.. and it has to be to an outcast town, such as Viperstongue. What harm would that be?

------------------

Korin
Sojourner

Postby Korin » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:56 pm

Ashiwi: Ov course it's not.. but if this were real.. It would be hard.. but hell!! I'd leave the damn town!!! It's silly to force me to only live in Leuth. Especially when i'm not wanted there.

Live is hard is one thing.. silly is another.

Oh, and btw.. it's not hard.. it's frickin impossible.. the only way out is to be ressed out.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Korin (edited 09-18-2002).]
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
OMG, am I agreeing with Malacar? Life isn't supposed to be easy for evil elves.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, as much as it may suck _specifically_ for evil elves or dwarves, I think the applications of this idea go far beyond those two circumstances.

Regards,
Jorus
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:39 am

the idea has merit, but it will be abused imo.

wording classes will just use it to search rares and others will level up in the easy hometowns then decide they want to switch for whatever reasons.

If this were to be impd, then i would suggest the town selection be very very limited. ie waterdeep and dk. 99.9% of anyone who wants to hometown in VT, CP, or ZK is there only to search rares. BG might be another viable option but its a bit too far south for my tastes and a teleport potion will put you in evil territory 20 seconds after boot.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 09-18-2002).]
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:04 pm

Don't be so quick to assume things, Kiryan. I've wanted to have CP as my homwtown for a long time simple for role-play purposes (Halflings in Calimport posted 08-17-2001 and Hometowns posted 06-04-2001). I could care less about whatever rares are in the area.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
anyone who wants to hometown in VT, CP, or ZK is there only to search rares.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:49 pm

In terms of rare hunting, only allowing a one time change would prohibit that. Especially if it were restricted to out of the way towns and outcast areas like vp. Why? Because nowhere in the mud will you find a hometown that isn't near a rare, but some towns have more than others. I am no means an encylopedia of exhaustive mud knowledge, but I can name quite a few rares in and around common home towns.

As long as it was a one time, permanent change, and not to waterdeep or DK then it would be no more or less twinky than anyother hometown. If you could change to any town you liked whenever you found a new rare to hunt it'd be different. But a one time permanent change? I'm all for it. Let's find ways to put some RP back into the game.

-Zenriel

------------------
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>the idea has merit, but it will be abused imo.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea would be to make the quests sufficiently difficult that the reward from any potential twinking would be minimal.

Along with a narrow range of hometowns for each race, this should prevent any serious problems (It'd be easier to just roll an alt in the hometown you wanted to check things from).

Indeed, some races (Barbarians? Some evil races?) wouldn't have any other hometown options.

<B>wording classes will just use it to search rares and others will level up in the easy hometowns then decide they want to switch for whatever reasons.

Again, using it to just level up a lowbie character would be pointless if the quests were fairly difficult. That said, why would we want to stop someone if they wanted to? They can still walk and rent at that location....

<B>If this were to be impd, then i would suggest the town selection be very very limited. ie waterdeep and dk. 99.9% of anyone who wants to hometown in VT, CP, or ZK is there only to search rares. BG might be another viable option but its a bit too far south for my tastes and a teleport potion will put you in evil territory 20 seconds after boot.

What I could picture is something like this:

Good aligned humans get the option of WD or BG.

Neutral humans get the option of WD, BG or CP.

Evil humans get the option of BG, ZK, BS, or CP.

(etc)

I could also picture some places that aren't currently "hometowns" accepting a few adventurers living thereabouts. Perhaps the barbarian encampment south of gnolls could be available for barbarians (perhaps only certain alignments?) to set up residence.

For my enchanter Arishae, as an elf, my heritage is not based in Leuthilspar, but Cormanthor/Myth Drannor. It'd be nice to hope that some day I'll be able to live in my ancestral home (Even though Cormanthor is further away from everything that Evermeet -- that's just not the point). Other elves might find "Evereska" (If it ever goes in as a zone :P) an attractive place to live.

I think this sort of flexibility in where characters live would provide some interesting variety to the mud.

Dedicated rare runners will continue to run rares, whether something like this occurs or not.

Regards,
Jorus
celara
Sojourner

Postby celara » Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:15 am

I think humans should get GN as well...
Half my RP story is based on having spent a LOT of time there with the tribes.
Celara

------------------
Just as soon as I belong/Then its time I disappear
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:32 am

if your really interested in RP, id like to see you hanging out in a town other than WD. im not aware of anyone who actively idles in a town other than DK or WD or the one they word too.

it is utterly stupid that you can't change home towns from an RP sense. its dumb to think that players playing wording classes won't use it simply to hunt every rare on the mud 3 minutes into boot. you might not, but i would.

Perhaps if wording classes were excluded from being able to change hometowns due to deity or something I could support it. 1x change would go a long way in preventing major abuse.

Also, maybe im assuming a bit too much... simply changing your score information for hometown doesnt mean we have to change your word spot or where you pop on death. I would totally support hometown changing if it didnt affect your recall location....

i mean really, how does what appears under score for hometown or where you pop when you die really affect RP? how many of you have rp stories where your lightning quick and your char's agility/dexterity is average for a human? RP may be > hack slash, but a lot of people will try to justify in game twink with RP.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”