Meteor Swarm

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Drache
Sojourner

Meteor Swarm

Postby Drache » Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:26 pm

Is it me or do others think Meteor Swarm damage is just too puny, considering how tedious the quest is for it? Incendiary does fine for it's level, but Meteor's power falls well short of it's help file's descrit imho 8)

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:51 pm

This is a repeat subject from before. Meteor swarm is WAY faster then cloud. It does about the same damage when you first get it as cloud, except when you get to level 50.. its way better.

Level up before you complain.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Antlitzt
Sojourner

Postby Antlitzt » Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:55 pm

Haha, that response is as lame as the 'It looka like a man!' lady! What does casting speed have to do w/drache's point of puny damage? If you want a quicker casting, lame spell and NOT suck up a 9th circle (whereas, concedingly, you say it does 7th circle damage) use ICE storm?! I agree the quest is hard, the damage does NOT = the spell descript, I was _very_ upset to see how lethargic the damage was. Hell I think incendiary does MORE damage. Second, when someone's 47th level, which your point of level is not even an issue (looka lady *rofl*) they've probably casted it enough to know it sux!
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:39 am

Casting time is VERY important Antlitz. Think of it this way. Say wou have 12 rounds and it takes 2 rounds to cast swarm and 4 to cast a cloud. (don't know the actually times im a druid!) Then in those twelve rounds you can rip off 6 swarms versus 3 clouds. So even if the cloud did do a little more damage swarm would be a far more damaging spell overall.

Safe travels

------------------
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:52 am

Lots of invokers I know think the quest isn't worth the spell damage really and if I didn't have all of the items but the stupid f'ing diadem, I never would've wasted my time so far unless I was level 50 and already had inferno.

After running back and forth, checking for the rares to pop on multiple occasions and hoping to get there first, still trying for said diadem, and while getting help/hints from some people still putting in 30 hours just on that quest, it's not worth it for 9th circle.

Personally, I want to try to do as much of it on my own as I can as I think a spell quest should be, but jesus, it's hard enough finding where the first 5 quest items are and getting them when they're not all handed to you or you actually want to try to get them yourself (yes, I'm dumb enough to want to solo my class' quest), let alone the sub-quests for some of those items and the 3 other items after that from friggin all over. I've already gotten more help than I've wanted to on this quest, but it seems to go on and on needing items, money, run here, go there....Then to learn the spell damage is only "ok", but not really worth the work really is a let down.

And before people bitch, yes I like a challenge, hell I play an invoker for a main that started with noob eq, and yes some other quests are MUCH harder, but this isn't some spanky eq, nor inferno, nor dscales, nor even gheal, and who really wants to help us get a 9th circle invoker spell for just "ok" area damage like meteor swarm? We already have thunderblast, clouds, chain lightning, inferno...and with the lack of invokers, it's not like we have even 3 per group more than once a blue moon......other level 41 quests like gate are MUCH more useful, every mage class except necros gets the spell, and it's nowhere near as hard as swarm.

Sorry for the rant as I look back at it, it's late here and I've been programing too much this week, but it really is a let down quest for the damage I've seen it doing and comments other invokers have told me.

When I get the urge to quest my spells again, I'd rather help friends and apprentice (learn) the inferno quest instead. Image
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:05 am

even level 50 invokers run out of inferno...swarm is a great spell...it just lacks the visual luster of inferno and such. i wish my offensive spells were 7 stars long!

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Kelthas Orean
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:13 am

Hmm...

What do Invoker #2 cast when Invoker #1 casts Inferno?

Usually invokers in a zone group rotate inferno/swarm/other around to avoid feedback.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Lythix
Sojourner

Postby Lythix » Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:26 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by torkur:
[B] Lots of invokers I know think the quest isn't worth the spell damage really and if I didn't have all of the items but the stupid f'ing diadem, I never would've wasted my time so far unless I was level 50 and already had inferno.

I'm beyond endorsing Torkur. The POINT is the spell's description, level, and aggrivating quest (since so many rare loads) far outshine the spell's damage/usefulness. So what if someone can cast meteor while incendiary/inferno's? Meteor doesn't kill mobs that Incendiary will! Meteor is lame damage what I've seen. I petitioned 2x and respecting the God's privacy, both times they acknowledged a) lack of damage, b) lots of complains vs. spell level/difficulty to attain. So for those who are quick to tell invokers to chill, this is my view: Ice storm is !usefull for zoning or damage. Chain Lightning - same story. Incendiary is nice but slow casting ********* if you fail qc. Thunderclap is slow and it takes up force missile. Meteor just sucks..sometimes <20th level mobs have just 'few wounds' after casting it.

My opinion is since 2 different gods concede that damage is pathetic and there are many complaints they should give the spell more oomph! The initial point is that the spell's description makes it out to be almighty. You see it fails miserably vs. it's own description. Quite a letdown for dame considering how tedious the quest, level, and (alllllll the racing to see if rare load has popped) other considerations end up.

------------------
Killin's my job -Time for a promotion!!
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:05 pm

Doesn't swarm work against fire based creatures?

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:15 pm

Not to lessen the complaints against it, as I've never played a high level 'voker, but anyone else find it amusing that the damage powerhouses are asking for greater damage?

Sylvos

P.S. Yes, I KNOW the point of the thread is the incongruity between the quest difficulty and spell damage.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:36 pm

umm Antlizt, damage over time is the crucial factor, not just damage. Does it matter if the spell does 10x damage, if it takes 9x as long to cast? The fight would be over first!
(either that or you would get bashed somewhere in the middle).
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:37 pm

PS - if voker need to double their current damage, druid sure as hell need to quadruple, or else get more nature rooms Image
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:54 pm

Dude, I wouldn't care if it did LESS damage if the quest was actually on par with the damage. Image It's whack for a spell with about 7th circle damage.....

8 items for a level 41 spellquest and all the rareload mobs turn into just a pain in the ass.....how many other quests you search from IC to CP to ZK to AP and go back and forth literally 6 times between these places?

That was my only point.....make the spell do nice damage since it's a hardass quest so it's not just a big letdown when you finally get it. Or change the quest to reflect it's damage. It's a great quest, but I'd personally use it for 1/4 of the inferno quest instead. Seems more reasonable.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:43 pm

ok the reason the help file makes it out to be the ultimate in area spells is because that help file is probably the old one from when inferno didn't even exist. Swarm USED to be the shit of all shit. Now its just second place! (not all spells need to be uber) invokers never had 10th and 9th circle targets last wipe and they were deemed overpowered. i think its just one of those things that you should accept.

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Kelthas Orean
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:38 pm

I don't know the storyline behind the quests that well so don't bitch at me about this: why not switch the quests around?
Instead of damage, how about giving meteorswarm a chance to do an enchantment or an effect like blacklight has slow and inferno's !coldshield effect.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:04 am

It would be cool if Meteor swarm could have a chance to bash mobs. I mean- giant rocks fall on you!

------------------
-Yayaril
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:48 am

The namesake spell has a couple options i think.. 2 big old meteors or 4 smaller meteors (smaller still being 6' in diameter or something sick like that) that all hit and then do followup explosions. Would be cool to see the spell be a little like this, elaborate a little on it or add the bash effect like yaya says.

Even if he smells like cabbage.

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:32 am

Wow, some cool ideas for swarm!

I have no idea about what damage it does/shouldnt do, but some tweaking of it to at least make it LOOK cooler, esp. like Dalar, Yaya and Ensis suggested, might be a good idea.

Maybe make the sizes of the rocks some random figure, and then the (small) chance to bash anyone in the room based somehow on that.. (Yes, has a chance, albeit slim, to bash your own companions!).

ooh.. anarchy & carnage.

Mogr.

------------------
Beer. More Beer.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:49 am

Bash/exploding would be sweet......but only as long as it didn't work too often....(yes, an invoker actually is saying that Image )...mainly cause it'd take too much from the coolness of getting inferno if it was a high chance to bash mobs, especially stuff like giants, jarls, etc for bash.

Maybe something along the lines of fell frost's chances to slow/major para would be cool though....nothing to count on in a fight, but a sweet effect if it happened to knock an !bash caster on his butt. Image
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:05 am

Meteor swarm is just fine.

If you don't think it's worth a widely known quest for one of the best area spells in the game, that's your decision.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:12 pm

Heh... I remember swarm used to "massacre" and now it only crushes people.

Torkur - wasn't saying the quest was equal to it. I looked at that thing and shuddered. I was just replying to Ant's statement that time doesn't matter.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:56 pm

Shevy I just got one question and refer to and old thread bout swarm....

how can people avoid/be out of harms way when there is a swarm of meteors falling ? :P

and the quest is hard if you dont know it, as is inferno, if you know it, doesnt make it easy, just easier to finish,.. not do...
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:32 pm

swarm is just fine guys. that's one spell that works against fire-based mobs where inferno/cloud doesn't. it's fast casting(omg cloud casting time sucks), and good damage. swarm damage is better when u get to lvl 50.. and yes there's a difference between lvl 47 and lvl 50 damage.

concerning how hard the quest is. if u think swarm quest is hard(chuckle), u should really try other quests, take shaman spirit walk(ask how long it took maelgwyn to get his giggle) the rare almost never loads :P or inferno.. omg inferno quest suck eggs compare to swarm.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:10 pm

Zoldren: It's meteorSWARM, not meteorstorm Image. The spell description and the helpfile doesn't really paint a picture of what the spell looks like, but it's much closer to a minute meteors spell with the ability to send individual meteors to different locations and MUCH bigger meteors than attempting to force a potentially apocalyptic astromical event.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glarec:
<B>
concerning how hard the quest is. if u think swarm quest is hard(chuckle), u should really try other quests, take shaman spirit walk(ask how long it took maelgwyn to get his giggle) the rare almost never loads :P or inferno.. omg inferno quest suck eggs compare to swarm.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
shaman spirit walk is EASY. Rokub Seldrin and I did it in the first two weeks it came out (well we had to figure it out first). all you have to do is explore the game for all potential world spawn points. I use to see the shaman at least twice a week when i played. and inferno, i thought that was easier.. maedor did it in what, two hours or something?
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:21 pm

the shaman spirit walk mobs pop all the time :P you just gotta know where they pop Image
spirit walk is HELLA easy, and gheal was fairly easy too.. considering what a powerful spell it is (healing upwards of 15-1600 hps is awesome!)

I think that quest spells should be soloable .. challenging as hell but soloable ... make the person use his or her class to its fullest abilities, ie.. make the char prove itself to its guildmaster

just my 2 coppers

------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Sat Apr 20, 2002 9:26 am

Remeber when there was no save on meteor swarm?

I think perhaps the description and quest difficulty were keyed to that.

Or am I just delusional again?

Regards,
Jorus
(still trying to dilute that ranger blood)
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:09 pm

easy of quest is directly relational to if you know it or not...

if you have the group to do it...

sure, those of you who say inferno is easy, sure it is if you know it. if you dont know it, how would you know that there is a shaman in game who is considered to be an ice witch. or where the eq loads, how to get passed doors

dead horse
i give up Image
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
sure, those of you who say inferno is easy, sure it is if you know it. if you dont know it, how would you know that there is a shaman in game who is considered to be an ice witch. or where the eq loads, how to get passed doors</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't easy for the first people to do it to figure out, but we did. And I can tell ya that neither of the first two ppl to ever complete the quest spilled the beans. Even 6 months after we had Inferno, ppl were still taking weeks to figure the quest out. But, they did figure it out without help. Nowadays there are walk-throughs for the quest, and it leave me sad, but unsurprised. It was a damn fine quest.

Mp

------------------
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:57 pm

Dalar, how the heck do you know all the possible world spawn spots? Am I missing the big red X on the ground?

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Alilsil
Sojourner

Postby Alilsil » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:28 pm

Everything is hard til you have done it..
Once you have tried and have done something a couple of times everything get easier.

This mud started out very hard for me. I couldnt understand one single word ppl was saying. i didint know where to go, what to take! I have gotten LOTS of help from my rl friends here.
Now i got a 38 lvl invoker and looking forward to start nag ppl to group with me to do the spellquests Image

------------------
Alilsil the grey
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:25 am

It seems silly that we have to compete with warriors to complete our quest.

I don't mind a challenging quest as long as it's fair. By fair, meaning I can do it by myself or with the help of a friend. As it is now, before I got past the WD gate there were already people in the desert looking for the quest mob (who were not looking to do the swarm quest). I guess the same mob has something to do with the best warrior neck item in the game.

- Mike
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:18 pm

Best neckwear in the game!? Ack!

It's fugly, transient, and is only 1/2. What's hit/dam these days anyway?!?

------------------
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:09 am

u mean the one i accidentally dropped last month? *CRY*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yarash:
<B>It seems silly that we have to compete with warriors to complete our quest.

I don't mind a challenging quest as long as it's fair. By fair, meaning I can do it by myself or with the help of a friend. As it is now, before I got past the WD gate there were already people in the desert looking for the quest mob (who were not looking to do the swarm quest). I guess the same mob has something to do with the best warrior neck item in the game.

- Mike</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:49 am

Dont feel bad glar, i dropped mine along with my shadows cloak about 5 months ago Image

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”