Sojourner

Give vokers some defense

Postby Jhorr » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:53 pm

I think invokers should get some low level
defensive spell(s). Something like phantom
armor or a self-only version of blur. With
all their might they should have figured out
at least a little defense too imo. I
think that, as a class, they are too unidimensional. Just my 2 cents.

Jhorr
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:04 am

I think warriors should get low level healing spells.

Ack, that makes us paladins.

Ewww, never mind.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:17 am

Invokers do get a defensive spell. We get fire/coldshield 5th circle. If you use them versus don't use them, it makes a BIG difference. If they lasted more than 1.5-2 minutes it would be nice, though.

Can't really ask for anything more to block physical damage, imho. Self blur would mean invokers would live too much.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:49 am

Invoker Defense == Warrior

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:31 pm

omg i cant believe this i agree w/Shevy *shiver*
hi5 Shevy

unidimensional.. hmm
you mean like

clerics are only good for healing/prots?
illusionist for trickery/transportation?
invokers offense/transportation
enchanters defense/transportation
necros offense/preserve
warriors meat shields

seems mages got it better than warriors as far as unidimensional Image

this thread has come up a few times before
vokers are fine w/o defense it doesnt fit them, and they got enough spells :0

talk to me in game if you have Q's about vokers, spells, how to play them, why i think ^, why invokers dont need more defense
Zoldren Pink-0-Slut defender of invokers abilities

------------------
Cap'n Touk

Ah the never ending good / evil debate has provided endless amusement for us all has it not? Both sides have a different mentality, evils appear to me as a closer nit group of people who expect a higher standard of play out of each other. Goodies are a broader group of people that cross group frequently and to me appear more easy going.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:27 pm

imho jhorr u should just whap your shaman for a stone. when i'm paying attention (i switch screens alot to watch jpop stuff) i always make sure my invokers are stoned Image

------------------

[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:38 pm

Appreciate the feedback. All other classes have a combination of offense and defense. Invokers seem to be the most unbalanced in this way, imho. Sure, they get shield but that's really an offensive spell.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:26 pm

actualy its a defensive spell
how many times have you been in a group where you had to wait to bash the mob?

its a way to keep things from bothering you and hence defensive

------------------
Cap'n Touk

Ah the never ending good / evil debate has provided endless amusement for us all has it not? Both sides have a different mentality, evils appear to me as a closer nit group of people who expect a higher standard of play out of each other. Goodies are a broader group of people that cross group frequently and to me appear more easy going.
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
<B>actualy its a defensive spell
how many times have you been in a group where you had to wait to bash the mob?

its a way to keep things from bothering you and hence defensive

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yah, but since when did aggro mobs stop and say, "Oh look, this invoker has a coldshield! I had better not attack until it falls." I know that as a voker in the arena, people would tell me that each hit they dealt me returned upwards of 80-100 damage...very nice if you have been bashed or stunned and they might kill themselves when they kill you, but still _entirely_ offensive.

I agree with shev tho...get a summonable tank or group w/ someone. It was depressing trying to solo when I was little, but as a zoning level voker, defense/tankanbility is one of the last things I care about.

-Nikelon/Dizhes

------------------
Nobody's perfect.
I'm nobody.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:52 am

Actually, fireshield/coldshield absorbs some of the physical damage as well as dealing it back. Test it out sometime. It's not much, but if they hit you for 200 hp, they would've hit you for 250 or so without the shield on from my tests. That has saved my life on a couple occasions with my low-hp invoker. That's also 200 hp they get back from hitting you as well. Not a bad defensive spell.

I have noticed I take less cloud damage on average with a coldshield up as well, although exact numbers I've never calculated.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:25 am

and scince when does shields stop pcs? it doesnt we get around it just like mobs do us
either dont care or wait/get globe

and if its so much offense.. why dont rogues like to fight me when shields up... why do they insist on waiting 9/10 times...

it is in defense, and hopefuly its enough to scare off your attackers... kinda like putting a this house is guarded by....

------------------
Cap'n Touk

Dulzuth
Sojourner

Postby Dulzuth » Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
<B>
enchanters defense/transportation

*Cough*

enchanters > all Image defense/prismatic spray/major para/self transportation :P

mmm pris.. I think it's clear that invokers real purpose is bus, same with the rest of you lesser mage types!

------------------
Verzul / Dulzuth - Jabbuk D'faer - Orbdrin D'oloth
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:45 pm

When I fought you in arena, Zoldren, your shield didn't bother me much =9

------------------
-Yayaril
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:44 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jhorr:
Appreciate the feedback. All other classes have a combination of offense and defense. Invokers seem to be the most unbalanced in this way, imho. Sure, they get shield but that's really an offensive spell.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll trade you my armor spell for your shields Image serious if you can kill stuff fast enough as vokers can you don't need any defense. I've said in many threads that vokers of same level or even a few levels lower can solo stuff that I can not as a cleric. Offense wise vokers are the most powerful imo, so I could see down grading some of their offense to give them some defense but don't think too many would like that idea.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:12 am

I'd like to know what an invoker your level or a few levels lower can kill that you cant? Seriously..a cleric can solo sooooo much more stuff. Even dock masters beat the pulp out of me. Some minor def spell like armor would be nifty, or a self only spell to keep us alive a bit more in zones, but id say we are well balanced as is.

The one thing that i hear a lot of is how invokers do too much damage. OMG...I think that spells like ancestral fury/doom need ot be downed. Mass mob smitage doesnt come from 1 inferno...it comes from inferno/doom/lava burst/nightmare/fury. Seriously, every class is a jr invoker. I believe it was dartan that said fury does cloud style damage. So basically shamans have an area spell that would be #2 for invokers...plus they get stone/heal/spirits/ancestral shield...gheal..blah blah. Wow, its 4am, and i probably am rambling. Any thoughts?

Maedor -=tired=- Shaded Dynasty
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:40 pm

Maedor tell ya what next time you see me on we will go kill the pirate just west of Waterdeep and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Any other clerics think We can solo more stuff than Invokers? Please give examples.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maedor:
<B>Some minor def spell like armor would be nifty, or a self only spell to keep us alive a bit more in zones, but id say we are well balanced as is.

whats the point w adding more armor spells? do like the warriors, get a bunch o potions, whats the difference, anyway, most potions for most minor prot and utility spells are cake to get or buyable (ok, ive been away for 2 months but i guess it hasnt changed much Image). then ofcause *myclass* allways wants a lill tweak *grin*. and even if all classes aremnt 100% balanced, heck were playin for fun arent we, i aint never gonna play a warrior troll, even if they are the best warriors in the game, they just dont suit my mind, i cant rp em, (ill troll the bbs instead Image)./fil
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:34 pm

invoker damage is fine
invokers are fine
invokers dont need defense

said it to many times

and i know clerics can solo way more than me..

------------------
Cap'n Touk

Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Deltin:
<B>
Any other clerics think We can solo more stuff than Invokers? Please give examples.

any non tracking mob that hits like a truck

------------------
Cap'n Touk

Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:02 am

<B> any non tracking mob that hits like a truck

Holy generalities bat man. As I said previously if you want to compare on the pirate we can, heck cat burglars even. If you have a specific mob let me know we can compare logs.

------------------
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:32 am

Invokers do great damage...although a rogue could possibly outdamage one a single mob. As far as soloing, the inokers drawback is that any mob over level 35 will smite us in like 5 rounds due to a lack of healing or stones. So, while a clerics damage may be much smaller, your lovely ability to heal your cuts and bruises makes you far superior to vokers in that respect.

Oh, and btw-Shamans > all as far as soloing Image...I suppose a case could be made that elementalists and necro/liches hold their own as well...
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:11 am

I think between power word blind, feeblemind, and pets, the elementalist wins the soloing contest, hands down.

------------------
-Yayaril
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:36 pm

u know what all invoker need is more hp and we can kill anything and everything. 20k hp w/ coldshield or fireshield. it's all over.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Deltin:
<B>Maedor tell ya what next time you see me on we will go kill the pirate just west of Waterdeep and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have watched clerics solo numerous high level solo mobs, including Korahl, Brimir, gn unicorn among others.

These mobs would not be voker soloable(imo).

Apparently you have some things to learn about your class.

Twinshadow

------------------
Tanji group-says 'Twyl keeps thinkin he rolled a rogue'
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:15 pm

What Twyl said.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
u know what all invoker need is more hp and we can kill anything and everything. 20k hp w/ coldshield or fireshield. it's all over.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

roflroflroflroflmao

Sok strikes!

------------------
Muma tells you 'schpank?'
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B> I have watched clerics solo numerous high level solo mobs, including Korahl, Brimir, gn unicorn among others.

These mobs would not be voker soloable(imo).

Apparently you have some things to learn about your class.

Twinshadow

my hero Image

------------------
MoM-D
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:10 am

Invokers with uber hp eq and an endless supply of vit potions can take out anything a cleric can solo.. and some. Shanans, enchanters, and liches own both mightly in this dept ofc tho.

If anything invokers need a more strict criteria of limits on what mage eq they get to wear. Kind of like rogues.. they should have thier own class flag on eq. All eq an invoker wears is flagged mage. Thats like combining rogue and warrior flags and letting them go nuts. Invokers wield such an insane offensive power.. thier defense should definately be lacking even more than it is. This might even bring a challenging factor into the leveling and survival of the class as well.. which to me, would be a welcome change.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:49 am

there is a limit on the amount of potions you can quaff within a certain time period. I would take a cleric over an invoker any day for soloing.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
gruldo
Sojourner

Postby gruldo » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:27 am

i know of a cleric that solo'd chlora.. clerics def win out in the soloing dept vs/vokers and corth is very right, you can use 5 potions per mud day so every 24 minutes..

------------------
Grul-Diggity!

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”