Really sweet new warrior skill

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
thanuk
Sojourner

Really sweet new warrior skill

Postby thanuk » Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:59 pm

How about a check against a player's bash skill when mobs try to bash them? If im a basher with a skill of 99, i know what it looks like when a mob is going to try to bash me, shouldn't that give me a better chance to avoid it? Lots of times if you hit your back when tanking its game over, cuz you just get critted over and over and over, i think something like this would help warriors stand on their own a bit more and not be so dependant on clerics and mages for survival.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:57 pm

ooh, and it would make warrior mobs somewhat more dangerous too.

Nice.

My only concern is all those @#$% mage mobs out there that are also flagged warrior...

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:21 pm

Personally, I'd rather have defensive skills like shieldblock/parry/dodge/mounted combat get a little increase instead, hence less critics would get through for all melee classes, but same main idea. Image
Braggo Boulderbasher
Sojourner

Postby Braggo Boulderbasher » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:41 am

bleh I think I've been bashed 2(maybe 3) times with Braggo Image sad to say this wouldn't help ogres at all Image

------------------
Braggo Boulderbasher
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:25 am

Personally I wouldn't mind some kind of a follow-up skill to use while the mob is prone. Perhaps a downward stab or similar attack that does additional damage while the mob is prone. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing some greater penalties for targets that are knocked prone other than being unable to cast/switch target.

Better yet, how about some way to attempt to keep the target prone so we don't have to keep sitting back, waiting for the mob to stand? Somehow that aspect of bashing just never made sense to me really. (ie. Well I've knocked the mob down too bad I can't hit him while he's down....I'll just have to step back and give him some space - maybe let him catch his breath, have a smoke, then get to his feet again before I smack him).

This would especially make sense for warriors vs. say Paladins or Rangers who may not be as willing to employ such dirty infighting techniques.

For 2h weapon wielders, I wouldn't mind having a leg sweep or weapon sweeping maneuver that attempts to knock down the target. As it is, 2h weapon wielders sacrifice the shield block, sacrificing bash as well just doesn't make 2h weapons feasible for melee. I'm not even sure if they do more damage than 1h weapons. I'm sure most melee-ers out there probably wouldn't mind having some other weapon options to pursue other than the traditional weapon/shield or dual weapon combinations that are currently popular.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:51 pm

you bring up an interesting point. Why is it that when i get bashed by a mob, all the mobs attacking me instantly go to town on me and crit repeatedly until i stand, while conversely, if i bash a mob, i actually miss more attacks while the mob is on the ground, rather than landing everything and having crits 90% of the time. Is it different for PCs to be bashed then mobs or do i just really suck?

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:24 pm

When you get bashed you lost your agi bonus to armor class, and defensive skills aren't active.
Mobs don't have defensive skills when bashed either.
If you hit less against a bashed mob, maybe the mob ac calc is messed up?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:10 pm

finishing blow:
passive skill available to a subset of melee classes

When a mob hp < (damroll + hitroll * 4) hps this skill gives you a (skill + real int) / x were x = some number that sets the maximum trigger rate to around 7% on each subsequent hit to outright kill the foe with a single well placed attack and at least half a page of cool ansi that will make all those melee types spoo in their chair (I vote for the guy who did the song ansi).

if this skill is available to mobs it needs to take into account that player hps are significantly lower.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”