Being able to tell invis, etc. without spells

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Sebrae
Sojourner

Being able to tell invis, etc. without spells

Postby Sebrae » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:18 pm

I think since the tell command is not RP, you should be able to tell anyone who doesn't have it toggled off, without having di or having them enter a place that you would be able to see in IF you were there. I just don't understand the reasoning behind having a non-RP command dealing with RP situations. If someone can explain this to me, please do.

Thanks.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:32 pm

???

Why actually get hurt when you're not RP, as well? Can we also tog death for non-RP players?
Sebrae
Sojourner

Postby Sebrae » Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:21 am

Because this is a player to player command, not having anything to do with your "physical" character.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sebrae:
<B>I just don't understand the reasoning behind having a non-RP command dealing with RP situations. If someone can explain this to me, please do.

Thanks.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just as rogues can't recieve tells when hidden, mages can't recieve tells when invis (unless the teller has di). This is a drawback to using invis, just as it's a drawback to hide.

Similarly, Sebrae, I can't cast barkskin on a troll, and they can't cast stoneskin on me. That's the drawback of being goodrace/evilrace respectively; you can't zone with the other side. You could argue that this is forced RP, but that's the way it is, and Soj is quite relaxed considered to what it used to be in that regard.

Otherwise a huge group of elves, illithids, gnomes, and ogres will demolish everything Image

------------------
Toarn group-says 'my lvl 50 buffer has officially been Mori-fied.'
Shevarash tells you 'you want to mud marry me? *scratch*'
Sebrae
Sojourner

Postby Sebrae » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:14 pm

Thanks, Moritheil. It makes a little bit more sense. I don't agree with it, but at least I know why it was done that way.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:42 pm

A lot of the "non RP" reasons also have to do with tactics. This is one of those instances where you have to plan ahead in order to keep communication, or be grouped. Many of what you call "player to player" commands are used in order to pull off the tactics necessary to win. The most fundamental game, tic-tac-toe, has a winner and a loser, and if there aren't negative aspects of the game then there's no challenge and no reward. If you want a chatroom there are plenty, but needing DI is part and parcel with being able to use invis.

It's like hide for rogues. One of the ways we pay for the ability to hide is that even people with DI can't send us tells. Just like the risk of dying exists as one of the negative aspects of the game, the need for DI is one of those negative aspects which helps to make the rewards greater.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”