pommel

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
amolol
Sojourner

pommel

Postby amolol » Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:08 pm

what ya think 2h slashing attach..

its where you take the handle/pommel of your sword and hit somone in the head with it...prolly like a (anti)pali only skill

would stun a mob for like 2 round..and abort casting...or somthing mebbe just do extra damage feel free t alter the idea or comment please donot make assholes of yourselves because your to buysy flaming to actually think about the topic

------------------
Xolan OOC: 'I am adicted to Amolol. so i guess i'm an Amoloholic

Ythera OOC: 'Someone put a Sok in Aleilal?'

[This message has been edited by amolol (edited 01-15-2003).]
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:16 pm

im seeing people holding a razor sharp sword by the business end and using the handle of it to hit someone across the head ... let's take bats to gun fights next Image

god sorry that just struck me as funny

hrrm

wield ebony
wear pbone
bash mob
blind mob
rem ebony
rem pbone
wield flamby
smoosh
repeat

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:40 pm

Anyone who's seen a realistic demonstration of a two-handed sword will tell you that practioners strike with EVERY part of the weapon, pommel included. Many two-handed swords came into use around the time gunpowder did (claymores were adapted earlier I believe), so armor was on its way out and civilian dueling was on its way in. To fight against a rapier and other light swords, two-handed sword users had to come up with tactics that let them strike faster and sometimes in a range that was too close for a normal slice to be effective so blows done with the pommel and quillons were adopted. Dueling/swordsmanship guidebooks from the era are filled with illustrations of how to attack without using the blade on a two-handed sword. Taken out of a dueling environment, a strike with a pommel would still see use against armor. Few weapons could penetrate plate armor and swords aren't on that list unless you don't use them like swords. One way is to have enough pressure on a point to make a hole. Longbows and pikes did this rather well. Many greatswords have a portion of the blade near the handle unsharpened so that the user could grab it with one hand and have the other on the handle to use it like a pike. The other way of dealing with armor is just using crushing blows. Not as much damage as making a hole, but it does disorient the target for successive blows while weakening the armor. The idea itself has a lot of basis in actual swordsmanship and shouldn't be laughed at in and of itself. However, not all 2 handed slashing weapons are swords. It would be rather unwielding to perform this manuever with a poleaxe or greataxe. And because attacks with the pommel are routine in two-handed swordplay, it's not something a trained wielder would have to go out of the way to perform like an applied skill normally implies.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Gavry
Sojourner

Postby Gavry » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:17 pm

I'd like to see you do this:

wield ebony
wear pbone
bash mob
blind mob
rem ebony
rem pbone
wield flamby
smoosh
repeat
Once your in combat you can't wear a shield.

Old Bastard

[This message has been edited by Gavry (edited 01-15-2003).]
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:57 am

the assumption is that when smooshed the mob is dead

*peer*

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:54 am

this actually can be done with an axe...i have seen it done with an axe...basikly you take the handle of the axe and hit somone with it...yes i am quite familiar with sword manuvers both 1h and 2h and i am actually in practice now...2 handed swords have been around for quite sometime and way before gun powder..baster swords broadswords hand and a half 2 handed lonswords ect... this is one of the reasons i brought it up.. but yes i doo she the pont about a specialized skill it would be nice to have it pali only but any one who could use a 2handed weapon could technicly pommel... this is somthing i would like to see added but im not shure how hard it would be to be added..

------------------
Xolan OOC: 'I am adicted to Amolol. so i guess i'm an Amoloholic

Ythera OOC: 'Someone put a Sok in Aleilal?'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”