Drizzt Fans

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Caedym
Sojourner

Drizzt Fans

Postby Caedym » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:38 pm

http://www.rasalvatore.com/esign/LoneDrow_esigning.asp

Now he's going to solo and army of Orcs. Why not an army of Tanar'ri while he's at it?

First book of another trilogy btw.

-Caedym Shadowhock
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:39 pm

If Drizzt were to solo an army of Tanar'ri, one of two things would happen. Either Drizzt would look dashing swatting demons as if they were flies, or the demons would somehow ferociously overwhelm Drizzt... which is when a new friend would happen into the picture, rescuing him valiantly.

Salvatore's books just irk me anymore. After reading the first few the plot devices became so shallow and obvious it was easy to guess what was coming next.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:03 pm

I think Salvatore is a great writer. His use of the word "friend" to show that Drizzt is the first mentally retarded Drow Elf hero is inspiriing. None of the other authors have taken this turn.

The fact that a mentally retarded Dark Elf can defeat an entire army of other drow, orcs, or even possibly demons makes me want to go out and face the day know there is hope for the rest of us who aren't retarded.

Oh, wait. A friend of mine just informed Drizzt isn't supposed to be retarded. Salvatore sucks.
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:14 pm

I was hoping to see another series about Artemis and Jaraxle, but this one having them on the road. Perhaps it could have a double timeline, where they show a deep look at Jaraxle's past.

That would catch my interest.

Well that and a future satire about Old man Drizzt (Old because of too many fights with ghosts) and is suffering from Al Bundy Polk-High 4 Touchdowns in one game syndrome (only it's about his various fights), his Rosanne Bar-like wife Cattiebrie, their 3-5 rugrat kids (all from different fathers), and their darn no good family dog er cat Gwuen.

-Caedym Shadowhock
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:29 am

bring on more of the senseless dribble of the first books. I don't get too anal about it, i just enjoy the story even if it is shallow and unbelievable.

Go watch the history channel if you want something believable.
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:38 am

This is actually the 2nd book of the trilogy, the first came out last year, called The Thousand Orcs.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:38 am

yeah what kiryan said.

they are fun to read. good, well moving story lines that make you turn pages quickly.

can salvatore touch cussler? of course not. cussler and clancy are gods at giving you awesome action with accurate or semi accurate facts and possibilities. but sometimes who gives a rats ass about the reality eh? isnt that why we all mud.

the thousand orcs was good. i been looking for lone drow for a few weeks now. it's not in all bookstores yet.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:51 am

i agree with tey and caz!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:02 pm

I just finished reading 1K orcs and the lone drow, and looking forward to the last book of the trilogy. :)

The title doesn't really indicate what's going on in the stories. Drizzt isn't fighting 1,000 orcs by himself.

It's nice to see Mithril Hall taking a serious beating, and even nicer to see a bad guy who becomes some what realistic in his evil plans.

As usual, when I read Salvatore's Drizzt books, I always wish that I could see them as movies, or even a TV series handled by Sam Rami like Hercules. I bet Sam could to marvelous things now with these books to say the least. :D

I suppose I like the 2nd book best so far (the lone drow), and more then a lot of his other Drizzt books, because he's actually making the characters ask themselves the questions we've been wanting to know answers to for some time.

Spoiler:
It's cool to see a gnome illusionist cause a bigger fireball then Elminster :)
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:58 am

If you can believe it, I lost the 2nd book. Some bastard in my apartment complex had to have taken it. i made it half way through, junkfood for the brain is always good.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:36 pm

Third book's out... need to grab that soon. :)

Drizzt seems to kick a lot less ass in this series. I mean, those giants nearly killed him in the first book and he keeps taking hits from mere orcs in the second! I miss Godmode Drizzt... ;)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kazaromoc
Sojourner

Postby Kazaromoc » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:58 pm

Godmode Drizzt is gone because he is berserk and in pain. He fights out of passion and not reason. Drizzt now believes that everyone he has loved is dead. His dwarven, human, and Halfling friends are (to him) dead, represented by the broken helmet of a broken dwarf king. I can look it up if you wish, but I believe the book explicitly states that he is fighting as though he wants to die. Drizzt is dead. He is just the Hunter. He just wants to take as many as he can with him.
-Kaz-
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:33 pm

Kazaromoc wrote:Godmode Drizzt is gone because he is berserk and in pain. He fights out of passion and not reason. Drizzt now believes that everyone he has loved is dead. His dwarven, human, and Halfling friends are (to him) dead, represented by the broken helmet of a broken dwarf king. I can look it up if you wish, but I believe the book explicitly states that he is fighting as though he wants to die. Drizzt is dead. He is just the Hunter. He just wants to take as many as he can with him.

But Drizzt shouldn't _have_ the barbarian rage ability. I know they gave him a level of barb in 3E to explain the Hunter persona, but in the earlier books the Hunter persona made Drizzt unstoppable. I mean, in one book it was stated that what seperated him from other drow is that he was perfect on offense and defense <i>at the same time</i> while most other drow could only be perfect on one or the other at the same time. But when he started to become the Hunter he just well within himself, giving up all other considerations except his fighting. If I remember correctly he had to fall into the Hunter while fighting Zaknafein on the bridge for instance, and if he had lessened his defenses because of it Zak would've ripped Drizzt apart!

I've always thought the Hunter was a completely different thing than Barbarian Rage. Especially since the Hunter existed long before 3E... heh.

I'd also say that for the most part in the 1st and 2nd book Drizzt didn't "want" to die, he just didn't care if he lived. He was certainly getting reckless, though this was AFTER the giants who kicked his ass, but he basically wanted to _destroy_ all the orcs, but not get himself killed doing so.
Last edited by Sarvis on Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:09 pm

Yeah, the Hunter before was God-mode drizzt, that's for sure. It's nice to see him now actually getting hit and hurt.

I don't think Drizzt wants to die atm. I think he's on a mission of vengeance. Like the book said, he's got work to do, and he's going about it methodically and realistically to a degree.

mount dragon

Sonon
Sojourner

Postby Sonon » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:17 am

Drizzt rocks but my favorite character is Cattie Brie she just sounds attractive heheh also the third book rocks came out last month got it at the library this month i am halfway through it omg it is so cool ya'll need to read it.
-------------------------------------------------------
Alysia group-says 'Lilen immolates a terrified squirrel to a charred crisp with his devastating inferno!'
-------------------------------------------------------
Lilen group-says 'where are all da trolls i was promised'
Lilen has left the group.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:46 am

Sonon wrote:Drizzt rocks but my favorite character is Cattie Brie she just sounds attractive heheh also the third book rocks came out last month got it at the library this month i am halfway through it omg it is so cool ya'll need to read it.

Yes, Cattie-brie is damn cool...

Does anyone else read her as sounding like Imoen from Baldur's Gate? Becuase I have ever since I played that game... heh.

Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:34 pm

Not to spoil anything, but I found the 3rd book an entertaining read except Salvatore seemed to say 'OMG it's this long? I have to finish, NOW!'

Still fun, but unfulfilling at the end imho.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:19 pm

Eilistraee wrote:Not to spoil anything, but I found the 3rd book an entertaining read except Salvatore seemed to say 'OMG it's this long? I have to finish, NOW!'

I tend to agree. It had a decent amount of build up..then just sorta sputtered a little bit and then the 'oh crap, I gotta end this' popped up.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:54 pm

Eilistraee wrote:Not to spoil anything, but I found the 3rd book an entertaining read except Salvatore seemed to say 'OMG it's this long? I have to finish, NOW!'

I think I've gotten that feeling from some of his other trilogies as well, though can't remember which ones right now.

It's possible the editors put pressure on him to finish up sooner than he'd like. I wouldn't be surprised if left unfettered he'd turn in a 5 book "trilogy"!

Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:59 pm

Sarvis wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if left unfettered he'd turn in a 5 book "trilogy"!

Hey, it worked for Douglas Adams...
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:02 pm

I didn't say it would be a bad thing!

Just editors suck and don't think we wanna read that much... :(

Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:08 pm

Editors are a good thing. Look at the travesty WoT has become without a reasonable editor. Jordan's wife should NOT be his editor, not like she's going to tell him to tighten up the story to sell less books.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:08 pm

When are they just going to kill that stupid drow?
Whenever it is, it's not soon enough.
auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:26 pm

someone humor me please! What class/stats is Drizzt? I've heard of him some but don't know what or anything about them.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:06 am

I think in the 2nd Edition Rules they had him something like a 14 or 16th level drow elf ranger with some special abilities that gave him extra attacks or something. This all changed in 3rd edition, as shown below.

Drizzt Do'Urden's NPC 3rd Ed Statistics from WotC

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010117d

Male drow Ftr10/Bbn1/Rgr5 of Mielikki: CR 17; Medium-size humanoid (elf); HD 10d10+20 plus 1d12+2 plus 5d10+10; hp 124; Init +9; Spd 40 ft.; AC 23 (touch 14, flat-footed 19); Atk +17/+12/+7/+2 melee (1d6+6 plus 1d6 cold/18–20, +3 frost scimitar), +16/+11 melee (1d6+4/18–20, +2 defending scimitar); SQ Drow traits, favored enemy (goblins +2, magical beasts +1), light blindness, rage, spell-like abilities; SR 27; AL CG; SV Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +7; Str 13, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 14. Height 5 ft. 4 in

Skills and Feats: Climb +8, Handle Animal +9, Hide +13, Intuit Direction +5, Jump +8, Knowledge (nature) +5, Listen +20, Move Silently +15, Ride (horse) +7, Search +13, Spot +15, Use Rope +7, Wilderness Lore +8; Ambidexterity, Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Mobility, Quick Draw, Track, Twin Sword Style, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (scimitar), Weapon Specialization (scimitar)

Special Qualities: Drow Traits (Ex): +2 racial bonus on Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities, darkvision 120 ft. Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. In addition, they suffer a –1 circumstance penalty to all attack rolls, saves, and checks while operating in bright light. Rage (Ex): During his rage, Drizzt has the following statistics instead of those given above: hp 156; AC 21 (touch 12, flat-footed 17); Atk +19/+14/+9/+4 melee (1d6+8 plus 1d6 cold/18–20, +3 frost brand scimitar) and +18/+13 melee (1d6+5/18–20, +2 defender scimitar); SV Fort +17, Will +9; Str 17, Con 19. Skills: Climb +10, Jump +10. The rage lasts 7 rounds, after which Drizzt is fatigued. He can rage once per day

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, darkness, faerie fire. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 16th-level sorcerer.

Spells Prepared (1; base DC = 14): 1—detect animals or plants.

Possessions: +4 mithral chainmail, Icingdeath (+3 frost scimitar), Twinkle (+2 defending scimitar), figurine of wondrous power: onyx panther (name Guenhwyvar; see below

Onyx Panther: This magical figurine summons the black panther Guenhwyvar, a friend and loyal companion to Drizzt. She can be summoned every other day for a period of 6 hours. If slain, she reverts to her figurine form and cannot be summoned for 48 hours. Guen understands Common and Undercommon, and has the following statistics:

Guenhwyvar: Female panther; CR 5; Medium-size animal; HD 6d8+12; hp 39; Init +4; Spd 40 ft., climb 20 ft.; AC 15 (touch 14, flat-footed 11); Atk +8 melee (1d6+3, bite), +6 melee (1d3+1, 2 claws); SA Pounce, improved grab, rake 1d3+1; SQ Low-light vision, scent; AL N; SV Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +3; Str 16, Dex 19, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 8

Skills and Feats: Balance +12, Climb +11, Hide +9*, Listen +6, Move Silently +12, Spot +6; Multiattack, Weapon Finesse (bite), Weapon Finesse (claw). Includes +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks, +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, her Hide bonus improves to +8

Despite his increasing fame (or infamy) across the Sword Coast North as a drow who dwells on the surface, is deadly in battle, fights with great agility and two enchanted scimitars, and can call on an onyx panther figurine of wondrous power to bring a battle companion to his side, Drizzt Do’Urden remains an enigma.

He worships Mielikki and makes war on the cruel city of his birth (Menzoberranzan), his fellow drow, and all who serve Lolth. He counts as friends human warriors of the North (Wulfgar and Cattie-brie) and the dwarf Bruenor Battlehammer, whom he helped to regain the rulership of Mithral Hall. He has slain dragons and drow matron mothers. He defied fiends (Errtu) and powers (Lolth), battled perhaps the most deadly assassin currently active in Faerûn (Artemis Entreri), and sought to forge his own life on the surface.

Thoughtful and sensitive to others, Drizzt holds himself to the highest ideals but does not expect the same of others. Ever alert for treachery and danger, he speaks little but is apt to be polite (if terse) in his dealings. A perfectionist who yearns to be accepted into places and groups and to make friends widely, Drizzt is haunted by the danger he brings to those he befriends thanks to the scrutiny of Lolth and his other foes (notably Errtu and Entreri). Those he meets see his manner as grim.

Early in his surface travels, Alustriel welcomed him as warmly and personally as she does all in need, but dared not let him openly into Silverymoon at that time. His deeds have, very slowly, made Drizzt Do’Urden more welcome in the Sword Coast North.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:57 am

Hrmm..

Just noticed these statistics don't list his enchanted bracers (thought they were bracers of the blinding strike from drow handbook, which increase initiative and allow a blinding round of attacks 3/day) he wears as anklets to increase his movement rate.

mount dragon

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:28 am

Sesexe wrote:Hrmm..

Just noticed these statistics don't list his enchanted bracers (thought they were bracers of the blinding strike from drow handbook, which increase initiative and allow a blinding round of attacks 3/day) he wears as anklets to increase his movement rate.

I'm pretty sure those are bracers of haste, and you're right... they are missing. Also I'm pretty sure his scimitars both used to be +4 back in 2E. Maybe <i>that's</i> why he isn't doing as well, his eq has been nerfed!

Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:05 am

Sarvis wrote:
Sesexe wrote:Hrmm..

I'm pretty sure those are bracers of haste, and you're right... they are missing. Also I'm pretty sure his scimitars both used to be +4 back in 2E. Maybe <i>that's</i> why he isn't doing as well, his eq has been nerfed!

Long live Ranger Downgrades!! ;)

mount dragon

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:18 am

hehehe...

*sigh*

It's funny 'cause it's true. ;)

auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:50 am

Thanks sesexe. That's cool !
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:37 am

that was awesome. whats the title of the 3rd book called? hey mike buy the book so i can borrow and lose it, like u done to so many of mine.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”