Xbox or Playstation, and why?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Xbox or Playstation, and why?

Postby Jhorr » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:38 pm

I might take the dive and buy a game machine. I like the Playstation controllers, so I'm leaning towards Sony. What do other folks like, and why?
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:08 pm

It depends,

If you like PC games best then X-Box is your choice, most games for it are just straight PC-Console translations, or games that were originally slated for PC until MS bought exclusive rights to it. Remember, Xbox is just a limited instruction set PC in a black and green case.

If you like the traditional console spread of games, Gamecube or PSX (ps2 is on it's way out) are the way to go. You'll find that each system has a different array of game genre's that cater to different people. Sony almost completely dominates the console RPG market, and driving games. Whereas Nintendo's adventure games (Metroid Prime is friggen awesome). Then not to forget that they each target different audiences... Sony is more in line to target people age 16+ where Nintendo holds onto the younger market (and those young at heart (Yoshi's my hero.))

Hope this was even just a lil helpful...
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:10 pm

Well if you feel like doing some tweaking, go with the Xbox. There are some nice hacks availible to confert your Xbox into a dual boot system, do you can have your normal gaming console unit, but also install Lindows in it and use it as a pc. Apparently a lot of Linux users are buying the Xbox unit because its cheap (microsoft actually loses 100 on each one) and installing linux on it for a really cheap web capable pc.
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:11 pm

Stupid double post.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:01 pm

If you like sports games get Xbox

If you like RPGs, driving games, or weird in between games like GTA and Spyro the dragon, get PS2.

Whatever you do, don't get game cube. It's walkman style. I heard they're coming out with frogger in 6 months.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:16 pm

I've got both a gamecube and a PS2, and aside from the laser burnout issue I'd go with the PS2 if I had to choose one. But since the issue only affected first generation PS2's there's no problem if you buy one now.

Gamecube has _some_ really great games. Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe (very hard in one particular part but also very fun,) F-Zero GX, and Super Smash Brothers: Melee are all great and Mario Kart (coming out soon) should be really good. Zelda was dissapointing. 3/4 of it were a great game, but they needed to make the game longer so they put in a repetative "find the triforce maps" section. When 1/4 of the game is sailing around a huge world map to spend 2 seconds digging up a map, there's a problem... bleh.

PS2 has a ton of good games, and a lot of great games. GTA3 and Vice City, Tekken Tag, Tekken 4, Soul Reaver, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Tourismo 3: A-Spec, FFX (the best FF since FF3/6j) and a bunch more I don't let myself think about since I can't play them. :(

Also it tends to be better for even multi-platform titles because of the control layout. Games like SSX: Tricky we tried on the gamecube, and actually sold back and bought a new copy of it for PS2 because the controls were so shitty for the GC version. Freakstyle is the same way... a game we loved when we borrowed it for PS2, but doesn't get played since my roomate bought it on gamecube... the controls are just too annoying, and really detract from the game.

Xbox... well, I can think of maybe 3 games I have any interest in on the xbox. Plus their controller is even worse than the gamecubes...

Although I hear it can be easily hacked to play movies and emulated games from your PC, making it good as an entertainment center dealie.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:19 pm

thanuk wrote:If you like sports games get Xbox

If you like RPGs, driving games, or weird in between games like GTA and Spyro the dragon, get PS2.

Whatever you do, don't get game cube. It's walkman style. I heard they're coming out with frogger in 6 months.

Walkman style? You mean outdated?

Nah... well, true most of their good games are sequels to old classics. But they are old classics that were so good most of us really, really wanted those sequels. I _still_ want a new Kid Icarus!

They are coming out with some new hotness too, such as Viewtiful Joe...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:23 pm

Guess I have to come out and defend my Cube. :)

The Gamecube is perfect for those that just want to play games that are FUN. There's no difficult learning curve, almost all the games have the 'simple to learn, hard to master' playability to them. It's also the only box where your significant other can enjoy it as much as you do (no offense to the ladies that love their sports and racing games on the PS2/XBox).

Although Nintendo gets a lot of rap for its small library, almost all the games are of high quality. Check this out: Resident Evil 1 Remake, Resident Evil 0, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime (countless awards), Animal Crossing (best RPG?), Star Wars Rogue Leader and Rogue Squadron, Super Mario Sunshine (one of the best platformers apart from Sly Cooper and Maximo on PS2), Starfox Adventures, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Soul Calibur 2 with Link as secret character, Toadstool Tour (Mario Golf), Double Dash (Mario Kart), F-Zero GX, and awesome party games like Super Smash Brothers Melee (beat up Pikachu!) and Super Monkey Ball 1/2. Of course, there's also that little wacky title called Viewtiful Joe.

But if you like sports games and RPGs, heh, then XBox is for you, especially with XBox Live its really hard to beat. :)

I have my PS2 for GTA:VC, VF Evolution, NBA Street Vol. 2, and Pro Evolution Soccer 3.
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:08 pm

i've got all three systems, and i'd have to say it's hard to choose.

right now i'm enjoying the hell out of knights of the old republic for xbox. this is xbox only.

but if you like final fantasy you need a ps2.

devil may cry was good, butnot much replayibility.

halo 2 is why i havent sold my xbox. got my hands on a prepress copy. it's gonna blow your mind.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:52 pm

Actually KOTOR is coming out in 5 days for the PC...

Doesn't say much for the x-box if you're only keeping it for one game. ;)

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:42 pm

Hey Nuk.

GC > You.

Metroid > You
Zelda > You
I have about 8-9 GC games at the moment, depends what you like. I enjoy RPG's and what not, so a cube and PS2 work out pretty well. Also one of the best side scrolling shooters in years was made on the dreamcast back in the day and they re-released it for the cube, Ikuraga. Great game. But I digress.

Yeah, if you like rpg's, get the ps2. If you can deal with a handful of decent games that aren't sports games, get the box.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:49 pm

Hey wanker:

Madden '04>j00
Tiger Woods >j00
MVP Baseball >j00
GTA Vice city >>>j00.

That is all.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'

You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'

Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'

You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:01 pm

got the GC and PS2

Vice City rocks .. makes me just giggle while playing it ... i love cheesy mario and sonic games, rpgs, pretty much anything but sports and shooter-up games ...

rofl even bought The Sims today oddly enough
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:39 pm

You know, play sports games is cool, yeah. Football, play that, hockey, sure... But when you play a fugging golf game, you know you're lame. Christ, go play the real thing, don't play a frigging simulation of golf :P
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:19 pm

I've played the golf game (tiger woods) on my friend's PS2 and thought it was a lot of fun. I especially liked when he designed my character to look almost exactly like me rofl.

My girlfriend and I want a system mostly for sports games I guess, which I thought were best on the PS2?
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:42 am

Jhorr wrote:I've played the golf game (tiger woods) on my friend's PS2 and thought it was a lot of fun. I especially liked when he designed my character to look almost exactly like me rofl.

My girlfriend and I want a system mostly for sports games I guess, which I thought were best on the PS2?

EA sports makes some pretty damn solid games for the PS2. Online games are pretty fun as well. My only theory on the systems is I will stick with a more tried and true system (Sony), instead of jumping onto the X-box bandwagon just yet. I own both so personally, I play RPG's and sports on PS2, and other select titles on X-box (Halo). Really, now a days, you can't go too wrong with either company.
Meatshield
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:56 am

Sarvis wrote:Actually KOTOR is coming out in 5 days for the PC...

Doesn't say much for the x-box if you're only keeping it for one game. ;)

i bought the xbox cause i wanted halo. i bought the ps2 because i wanted ace combat 4. i bought the gamecue because i wanted metroid prime.

i bought my first pc because i wanted wolfenstein.

just means they badass games to make me want a system just for it.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:51 am

Take a look at what games are exclusive to each system and base your decision mainly around that. Sony has the largest library of titles while the XBox has a large amount of Western made game titles. Nintendo obviously creates a lot of exclusive content by themselves.

A few other considerations are that the XBox has the best online capabilities and games taking advantage of it. XBox live is a subscription service, but the new bundles come with 2 months of it free, the headset that comes bundled with Mechassault (one of the best multiplayer titles on the system) comes with a year of it free, and now certain games enabled for Live come with a month of it free so in theory you won't have to pay any actual money for the subscription alone. EA is being a whiny little bitch about online multiplayer on the XBox not being under their control for their games though, which is about the only downside of Live now that you don't actually have to pay for it. Oh, that and the XBox requires broadband for online play, it doesn't support dialup. The PS2 has second best online multiplayer by default since Nintendo is basically ignoring that capability.

Also figure out how much time you're actually going to spend with the console. If you're still going to be mudding a lot (and you damn better be since I still need a seelie cloak!) and have a PC you use to play a lot of PC games, then the more limited game selections on the GC and XBox aren't much of a downside anymore.

Finally, if you do decide to get an XBox, make sure you get S controllers, not the behemoth original controllers. The S controllers have replaced the originals as the bundled controller and have a layout and ergonomics similar to the PS controller.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:28 am

heh i totally forgot about mechassault. never before have i run into a battletech game for the console that didnt suck. this one rocked. best ever is still mechwarrior 2 for the pc (looked, sounded and played just like it did at Virtual World in Walnut Creek), but mechwarrior was great.

used to kick some serious butt in a custom vulture V6 :)
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:35 pm

Also there is some adaptor that allows you to used a PS-Dual Shock controller on the Xbox. Not sure if the rumble works or not, but my brother got one and was telling me how much nicer the Xbox was with it. I'll ask him more about this and get back to you.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:54 pm

I've got PS2 and GC, and I have to admit that I enjoy the games for my GC (and GBA) more then my PS2. Though nothing comes close to SNES still.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:07 pm

Jhorr wrote:I've played the golf game (tiger woods) on my friend's PS2 and thought it was a lot of fun. I especially liked when he designed my character to look almost exactly like me rofl.

I'm pretty sure all sports games on PS2 are also made for XBOX. If you're going for sports games, get the xbox. It's the same game only designed for a higher end console. Xbox came out a little later, so it's a little faster with better graphics. The hard part is finding a game you like.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:39 am

Ok, Jhorr, do yourself a favor and look up the technical specs on these two machines...I say two because the game cube is a piece of crap made by the outdated nintendo company that caters to kids and nostalgic people still wanting to play zelda and metroid like they even have a chance at competing with the newer gaming titles.

On just about every platform, xbox with beat the PS2. The only thing I would say the PS2 has over the xbox is the amount of RPG titles they have. This point becomes moot, however, when xbox releases it's game "Fable" early next year. You can also forget about Sony ever releasing anything this complex because the PS2 just can't handle a game of it's size and depth. If you like FPS type games (first person shooters) then you will definately want an Xbox. Mostly because every attempt sony has made at making one of these has failed horribly, especially when competing with the xbox titles such as the Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, and the all mighty Halo.

The next thing you will want to check is the online playability. While the new PS2's have the capabilities to be played online as soon as they are out of the box (the older ones need an adapter), they allow 56k and lower connections which makes for a laggy experience since console games can't be played with those. Also, the Xbox was intended, and made for internet play. The Xbox offers more online titles than the ps2 and better ratio of good on online play and over all.

Xbox also has the PS2 beat on sports game because of the crap refresh rate the PS2 has. Everything that is on PS2 is on Xbox, but plays, looks, and sounds better on xbox. Go to a best buy and see if you can play identical demos on both machines, I'm not just being an xbox rep here.

Again, the only thing I would say Sony has over MS is the exclusive content they get from Square-Enix (FF games), but when compared to what the Xbox will have in the near future and their buyouts of Rare and Bungie software design divisions, Sony has crap.

If you get an Xbox, they just released a new bundle for i think around 179.99. It comes with 2 months Xbox live (online play), a Starwars game, some other game, controllers, and something else.

Whatever you do decide, get Monster cables, or something equivalent. The cables that come with the machines don't do the sound or video justice at all.
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:51 am

Get 'em Both!

What I've found with the X-box is that it has more 2 player co-op games than does the PS2. Seems like the PS2 was made for folks who have no friends or who just like to beat on them (or get beat on). I do like the titles that PS2 has.

Hope this helps

Lost.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:29 pm

Screwing gaming boxes. Use your computer. Computer > All.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”