Now is the time.

Archived discussion from Toril-2.

Will you campaign for a future Soj?

Yes; the world needs places like Toril.
77%
I am too selfish; I only care about my own gaming.
23%

Total votes: 44
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:43 pm

But it's not.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Viclor
Sojourner

Postby Viclor » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:17 pm

A couple of my own opinions....

1. Fix the web site or fix the listings on topmudsites.com or mudconnector.com. That totally screws with things. Our website does not work.

2. Whats up with the connection time? It takes me like6 or 7 seconds to connect to the mud. If I didn't know that it would eventually come up I would log off. Another little screwy quirk.

3. Whats up with the prompt when you connect to the mud? Why not just say press enter instead of all that other crap?

4. Ok this is gonna get me flamed, but basically, I don't give a fuck.

This mud experience is not gonna last forever. Nothing ever does. Some power gamers I'm not gonna mention who have given in years of their time to this mud, one day, unless DRASTIC MEASURES ARE TAKEN,

It will all be gone, all for a game, all that time for nothing.
thats when you bite it off, viclor. then tell him you shoulda paid 100 instead.

Nilan :)
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Viclor wrote:A couple of my own opinions....

1. Fix the web site or fix the listings on topmudsites.com or mudconnector.com. That totally screws with things. Our website does not work.

2. Whats up with the connection time? It takes me like6 or 7 seconds to connect to the mud. If I didn't know that it would eventually come up I would log off. Another little screwy quirk.

3. Whats up with the prompt when you connect to the mud? Why not just say press enter instead of all that other crap?

This mud experience is not gonna last forever. Nothing ever does. Some power gamers I'm not gonna mention who have given in years of their time to this mud, one day, unless DRASTIC MEASURES ARE TAKEN,

but ya know what?

it's free for us ..

the lag when logging in is due to a non-static IP from what i have been told

suck it up or pay for it yourself
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Viclor
Sojourner

Postby Viclor » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:28 am

Ambar wrote:
Viclor wrote:A couple of my own opinions....

but ya know what?

it's free for us ..

the lag when logging in is due to a non-static IP from what i have been told

suck it up or pay for it yourself

Just because a mud is free doesn't mean taht it's supposed to have problems. Don't get me wrong, I love this mud, and it is the best one out there.

But also, this thread is asking for my suggestions, whether they exist because this mud is free doesn't matter.
thats when you bite it off, viclor. then tell him you shoulda paid 100 instead.

Nilan :)
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:02 am

Viclor wrote:

Vic, it's a matter of perspective.

Without doubt, one day all you have worked for here will be gone. All your work here is just a few 1's and 0's - stored either magnetically or as a bunch of electrons stored temporarily in a VLSI capacitor. It will be gone in the blink of a bored imps mind.

But step back and think of what you have learned.. you have excercised your imagination, you have played smart, to your ability you have learnt to work the system to your advantage. You have made some like-minded friends, though you may never know their real names. For a short time, you have escaped the mundane life, in a place where your imagination can run free.

Though it means literally nothing in the larger scheme of life, people will remember what you do here. Treat them as you want to be remembered. People have lived and died here, it's almost too incredible to comprehend.

At the end of it all I guarantee, when Toril is gone, you will remember it with fondness.
Ikus_Ikael
Sojourner

Postby Ikus_Ikael » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:57 pm

Demuladon wrote:Viclor wrote:

Vic, it's a matter of perspective.

Without doubt, one day all you have worked for here will be gone. All your work here is just a few 1's and 0's - stored either magnetically or as a bunch of electrons stored temporarily in a VLSI capacitor. It will be gone in the blink of a bored imps mind.

But step back and think of what you have learned.. you have excercised your imagination, you have played smart, to your ability you have learnt to work the system to your advantage. You have made some like-minded friends, though you may never know their real names. For a short time, you have escaped the mundane life, in a place where your imagination can run free.

Though it means literally nothing in the larger scheme of life, people will remember what you do here. Treat them as you want to be remembered. People have lived and died here, it's almost too incredible to comprehend.

At the end of it all I guarantee, when Toril is gone, you will remember it with fondness.

Toril doesn't have to be gone if we keep players coming. =)

I know that EVENTUALLY it will be gone, but I'm saying it could last many years longer.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:05 am

Im in!!!

where do I get the paper pants, haircut, and books to hand out?..er...wait, this is the cult meeting right? :|

:)
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:17 pm

What is funny, is the argument that "it will all be gone" or "it will all disappear" is true in more than just the mud. Some could say that the statement would hold true for life. The mud experience isn't about what level you were, what eq you got. It's about the fun you had, the people you met, and the things you learned. Life is the same way.
Viclor Voddyn
Sojourner

Postby Viclor Voddyn » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:35 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:What is funny, is the argument that "it will all be gone" or "it will all disappear" is true in more than just the mud. Some could say that the statement would hold true for life. The mud experience isn't about what level you were, what eq you got. It's about the fun you had, the people you met, and the things you learned. Life is the same way.

I don't think this is about philosophy. Theoretically, all things will come to an end.

What I conclude is, that the players need to take pbase increasing maneuvers, so that the place will be more fun for everyone.
More players=more interactivity=more fun.

On a further note, though it will not likely happen, I would love for Toril to stay around a very long time. It's the best game I have ever played, and the only one I can never beat.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed May 19, 2004 12:54 am

I've got an interesting insight from a D2-playing friend.

"I always hear you comparing everything to Sojourn," he said.

"Well, it's what I know."

"Let me tell you right now, MMORP games are not MUDs. They are something completely different. And a game like D2, which isn't even a MMORP, but is played online . . . you can't complain about it. You can't even compare it. It's like comparing a car with a bicycle."

"Well, comparisons are not the primary focus of what I was talking about. I was merely mentioning that a lot of gaming is behavior regulation, and different games regulate it in different ways. Some games - I won't name any names - encourage more co-operation and community, and D2 has much less of that."

"I think of it as weeding out the weak," he admitted. "If you weren't smart enough to avoid PKers, if you weren't fast enough to pick up the item drop, you deserve to lose. You deserve to die."

"Maybe. Maybe not. Well, what I find most interesting about this is that Blizzard games enthrall so many people - they have so many players, and yet there isn't a real element of design in terms of real life overlap with their behavior. I don't mean literal behavior, like literally killing other people from out of nowhere, but I mean things like, if you got burned by being lied to online, you're likely to be a less trusting person both there and in the real world. If you're taught that cheating doesn't pay, it probably applies somewhat to both. If you learn to work cooperatively, some of that behavior might bleed over in terms of your instincts as well. All this happens, and no-one has really put that much thought into the final results."

"The purpose of games - all games - is to make money."

"Maybe. Maybe not. But it's interesting that there's no thought put into it. I mean, (if what you say is true,) to Blizzard, it doesn't matter what their games are like as long as people buy them and play them, right?"

That was heresy. "Get out," he barked. "Out of my room!"
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”