Four Years and Counting the Minutes

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Four Years and Counting the Minutes

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:50 pm

On an ordinary day I could care less what sports are playing on the television, but once every four years you can find me glued to the TV, jumping up and down, screaming and yelling, laughing and crying. I absolutely LOVE the olympics, and I'm counting the minutes until the opening ceremonies tomorrow evening. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing in the world to equal the human drama that plays out during the summer Olympics. You can keep your soap operas and your made-for-TV melodramas, because I'm too entranced watching Derek Redmond's father jump out of the stands to carry him across the finish line after Redmond tore his hamstring in the 400 meter run, I'm too choked up from watching Muhammad Ali standing to light the Olympic torch while his hands shake from Parkinson's disease, I'm too inspired from watching Eric Moussambani struggle his way through the 100 meter swim, determined to reach the end or drown trying. I'm fascinated by the iron will of people who can push themselves to their limits and break beyond them in order to achieve their goals, people who willingly endure years of pain and exhaustion in order to fulfill a dream.

Now, if you want to get all political and hateful about the Olympics on me, don't bother, because my attitude about it isn't going to change one bit. What I'd like to know is if there's anybody else out there that gets as excited as I do when this time rolls around again, and if so, if you'll be watching them non-stop so you can relay some of the stories that I have to miss because I'll be at work. I'll be able to turn on the TV here, so I'll barely be able to hear it playing from the kitchen around the corner, but that's not quite the same.

In the meantime... I'm making a bowlful of fuzzy navel jello shots for everybody who's coming over to watch the opening ceremonies with me tomorrow night. Do feel free to drop in.

Oh, and... 1000 pp on Justin Wilcock in the men's 3M springboard... smooooooookin' baybeeee!
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:36 pm

Ayup, I get all tingly up and down my spine just from hearing the Olympic Anthem and everything you said applies to me, as well.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:28 pm

bah humbug!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:14 pm

I'm such a girl. I weep openly at everything concerning the olympics. As I sat watching the opening ceremony last night, my oldest son kept asking me why I was crying. I tried explaining it, but he just thought I was being silly. I can relate to how you feel, Ashiwi. As a small child, I would anticipate each and every event they would show on TV (my favorites are gymnastics, swimming, slalom [and all other types of] skiing, diving, speed skating and the decathalon) and pick my favorite athelete.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys it as openly I do. My family mocks me, but dangit... there is something special about thousands of the worlds finest gathering together to compete for the "best" postition. Politics usually take a back seat and *that* chokes me up too. I sit and watch the flag bearers from each country and the smiles they have on thier faces. It makes me proud to be a human! That feeling happens so rarely these days.

So, yah, in short, I LUB the olympics. OH OH OH, and HOW COOL is it that they are FINALLY in Athens again?! Go Greece!

Oh, and one last thing... I kinda wish they broadcast more than just the "popular" events. I'd love to be able to watch the entire decathalon all at once instead of in tiny chunks between men's diving and women's gymnastics. Know what I mean? :(
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:24 pm

I work weekends, so I'll have missed the beginning of this thing, but I agree that it is quite a spectacle.

I can still recall Kerry Strugg(?) in the "women's" (girls) gymnastics landing her last trick in spite of a sprained ankle, allowing the US team to win the gold. That sort of skill and tenacity was and is inspiring.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:19 pm

Amen on the sentiment about not being able to watch more of the events! There's a woman from here that's competing in Fencing, and I know they won't televise any of that. I wanted to watch the Fencing competition last season, especially after all that hype about the kid from the Bronx ghetto who was competing in the event, but didn't get to see a bit of it. Women's wrestling is a new event to the Games, and it would be nice to see some of it, too. I've found there's one event in the Olympics that I could probably never watch again and be just fine with it, and that's Volleyball. Is there some reason this game takes up so much coverage time?

As for politics... most of it is set aside for the Games, but sadly not all of it. Ask Iran's Judo champion about that.

I thought the Opening Ceremonies were a little on the pretentious side. I can understand the need to express themes of higher learning and art, but they seemed to have forgotten the "every man" aspect of the Olympics. When the chick's pregnant belly lit up, I started to wonder if the Parade of Nations was going to be waving flags, or Campbell's Soup cans decorated in the colors of their countries. And if the US EVER put itself on display for the rest of the world with a performance by Bjork singing a song that repeated the same line over and over again "Your sweat is salty" ... it would be time to move to Canada.

Heh, and did you hear their high tech torch went out? How embarrassing.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:58 pm

Yeah, how sad is the Judo story. I heard about it and it nearly broke my heart. I don't fully understand the motivation behind these two cultures (or religions) but it is horribly sad to think that this man feels the need (as deeply as he obviously does) to WITHDRAW from the OLYMPICS because a fellow athlete he must face is from the wrong end of the road... On the other hand, it is commendable that he would have the moral backbone to stick to what he believes in to *that* extent. How difficult must that decision have been?

I'm torn. Glad he chose to decline? Or saddened by his lack of an "open mind"? These days, we associate such extreme behavior with Islam and Isreal that it really is refreshing to NOT have to see what *could* have been, had these two actually faced off. I suppose, one could say, his mind is open. It is mine that is closed. So many sides to one single argument. I'm glad I didn't have to make that choice!!!

WRESTLING. How could I have forgotten about that! I freaking love to watch it. REAL wrestling. Its all dirt and sweat and strength. Nothing about that event that I dislike, except for cauliflower ear. *ICK*. I'm going to be glued to the set for that, too. Women doing it? OH YEAH. It be about time, yarr.

I knew a girl in my highschool who was on the wrestling team. She was a ***lot*** manly and the boys were always scared of her because she knew what she was about. That was always interesting to cheer (read scream) for. I think her name was Kerry. Wonder what she's doing now!... anyway, tangent over...

Yeah, girls wrestling!?!! Past due! Here, Here!

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:27 pm

Olympics. Love them.

Ping Pong in the Olympics. I thought that was a bit of a stretch. Then I watched it the other day. Damn. I thought I was good at Ping Pong. Those guys are sick. Like watching Forest Gump!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:13 pm

The symbolic ramifications of a potential defeat under the hands of a country they refuse to acknowledge the right to exist to might have had some bearing in the decision. Wrestling is one of the more ancient sports, and was featured in religious mythology frequently, and Judo has a great many wrestling elements.

Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:17 pm

They just aren't the same without Nadia. How my heart panged for her as I watched her score a 10, over and over. Now those were the days.
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:44 pm

The mens gymnastics was excellent last night. I wanted USA to win gold so bad, but I'll be damned if those Japanese didn't earn every ounce of those gold medals.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:06 pm

Yea, I love the Olympics too.

They should be the absolute pinnacle of all major sports in the world, regardless of the various countries' national/local competitions, politics, etc. and should attract an absolute unspoken "truce" in all conflict for the duration.

These days I seem to like them more, for some reason - certainly in part due to the memorable times we had actually attending live Olympic games for a few events in Sydney in 2000.

I have a special place in my heart for the Winter Olympics, as there's nothing quite like the Luge, Downhill and Slalom events.

But the Summer Olympics is really where it all originated, it's great to see it finally return to Athens, and I'm truly amazed at how many vacant seats there are at many of the televised events.

The coverage could be better, making better use of modern technology, providing more stats, etc. but it's still pretty good.

Sooooooo sweet to have at least 2 TV channels with some kind of Olympic events on almost the entire time - such a refreshing change and vast improvement on the usual heap of crappy soap operas/"reality tv"/cop/hospital shows that seems to be the norm these days.

Kickin' back enjoying mightily! ;)

Go Aussies!
BEER
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:51 am

How *ABOUT* that Paul Hamm, eh?? And his damn cute Wisconsin farmboy freckles. :)

Wow. Can't believe he pulled that gold medal out. :) Yay!

Olympics? Exciting? Hell yes.

Eli :)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:15 pm

Paul Hamm was amazing! After that nasty tumble following his vault and that retched score, you'd expect him to be shaken in his following events, but the performance he put out on the high bar was jaw-dropping. Whoooot!!!!

Oh, and the night before's relay where Keller barely took the gold with Ian Thorpe only 13/100's of a second behind was a real edge-of-the-seater. Thorpe is a monster in the water.

Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:52 am

And now we got Carly Patterson winning the gold in gymnastics. Wow. :)

Yay team USA!

Eli :)
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:04 am

Elisten wrote:And now we got Carly Patterson winning the gold in gymnastics. Wow. :)

OMG, they have only just shown her balance beam routine here on the West Coast. I've been dutifully avoiding all news and sports sites all night, and now this ...

Grin, oh well, now I can watch some celebrity poker. :P
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:15 pm

Her floor exercise routine was amazing.
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:08 pm

What about Phelps, winning a medal in every event he's been in? Another amazing moment, the women's 4x200m free.. the US women setting a new world record?? And to think there's still a whole week of competions to go :)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:10 pm

It's killing me that track and field starts today, and I can't watch it!!! By the time I get home from work they'll be back to swimming and volleyball.

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:15 am

I've got 4 words: BRING ON THE WRESTLING!

It is debated on whether track and field or wrestling is the oldest sport. I of course am biased, but it seems to me that humans have competed in combat longer than they have competed by seeing who can run faster (I suppose that if there was a sabertooth tiger chasing them it might count as competing. . . after all, I don't have to outrun the tiger, just you) :D
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:03 pm

You know who else is doing a kick ass job? The USA women's softball team. It's one of those things where you think "wow. I thought *I* was good at softball". Then ya see those ladies and think "wow. I suck!!" Hehe.

And that kinda sucks about the Paul Hamm situation. Evidently he really wasn't the gold medal winner, but.. I guess when there's rules, there's rules.

Far as Michael Phelps goes (cutie that he is!!), that was downright teamlike of him to give up his spot to his teammate for the final relay swim. How many people do you know who would do such a thing.

Ahh. The Olympics. The best of the best. Gives me tingles. :)

Eli
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:20 pm

If I have to watch one more "special story" about volleyball, I will puke in an envelope and send it to NBC. I like volleyball, but ... sheesh! I feel like I'm stuck in some horrible dream where the only thing to do is watch TV while recovering from surgery and the only thing on TV is volleyball.

OH.. NO... WAIT... it is my REALITY. can someone please change the channel??? If not, I'm afraid I'm going to die of overexposure to vollyball. (the technical term for this is Vollitusballoplagia, from latin meaning "horribly boring" or "giant women wearing underpants as uniforms".)

Please, save me from a horrible death.

P.S. Watching track and field is uplifting. I enjoy watching the underdogs finish last and seeing them beam enthusiastically at the experience.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:57 pm

I saw the first tear-jerker of the season. Watching Paula Radcliffe reach her breaking point and drop her head between her knees to sob when she was unable to continue in the marathon at the 22 mile point, then watching Deena Kastor push herself from 16th place up those hills to take the bronze medal and cross the finish line in tears was enough to start up my waterworks, too.

Table tennis... Chinese... How do they do that??

As much as I was floored by Hamm's comeback and performances to take the all-around in gymnastics, if the Korean athlete really performed to gold standards, then I think Hamm should be willing to concede the gold medal to him and accept silver as the sportsmanly thing to do.

Maurice Greene... hubris.

Men's Rings... Did anybody else see this match? I thought Bulgaria should have taken the gold for this, and I'm still not sure how the Greek contender achieved a higher score than Jordan Jovtchev. Jovtchev had perfect form, he might as well have been constructed of steel.

Larble
Sojourner

Postby Larble » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:09 pm

I agree Ash...I thought that the Bulgarian guy did deserve the gold over the Greek athlete.

For whatever reason...I actually cared and was bummed that Svetlana Horkina f***ed up on what is likely her last Olympic appearance. Go figure.

Mo Green....great athlete, still I'm glad he got beat by a young, hungrier, athlete. Humility goes a long way in mah book Mr. Green
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:48 am

Well. I am kinda undecided about the controversial Korean/USA gold medal all around... there's now the whole issue that they should have deducted even more points from the Korean dude's score. So Paul rightfully owned the medal. I dunno. Crazy.

But that aside.. WTF is up with that scoring crap tonight? (And maybe the whole time?) WOW. That Alexsei guy was damned good, I'd even say better than Paul. I wonder.. anyone know? Where do they get these judges from? Do they even *know* what gymnastics is? I dunno, just kinda ticks me off. Although it was amazing to see that crowd whoop and holler for so long.. I felt bad for Paul having to go next. But he pretty much landed his routine. So I think he fairly deserved the silver. But Alexsei should have had the gold.

Just my 2 cents. :)
Eli
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:53 am

Larble wrote:For whatever reason...I actually cared and was bummed that Svetlana Horkina f***ed up on what is likely her last Olympic appearance. Go figure.

I adored Svetlana, even though she has always seemed a bit on the cold queen-ish side. I remember watching her when she was at her first Olympics (this is her 3rd). But just some of the comments she was recorded as saying.. that's just poor sportsmanship. My respect and awe for her went downhill quite fast these Olympics.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:29 am

I love the Olympics, and have always watched them... but can we please get rid of some of the events? There are just too many now. I watched some guy prance across an arena in zigzag lines on a horse to win a gold medal. He didn't do any neat tricks, he wasn't in any sort of rush, and he wasn't balancing a gorgeous nude woman on his head. I looked around the room to see if anyone else knew what was going on, and I saw about 40 blank faces, everyone going.. "wtf".

There's just too many silly little events now and too many variations on a theme... like how swimmers can win a million medals. My 2 cents!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:36 pm

I have no idea what was going on with judging in gymnastics last night, but I bet there'll be some kind of inquiry. My heart went out to Paul Hamm for having to endure that crowd reaction. It amazes me that they didn't get Alexei Nemov up earlier to ask the crowd to please show some consideration for the other athletes. That reaction was incredibly rude, considering there were other athletes needing to compete, but I can still understand it, because Nemov's performance was beautiful, all except for a very obvious flaw to the landing. I have no idea how Hamm scored so much higher than Nemov after that, either, because the two performances were really quite comparable.

Women's floor exercises were pretty screwed up, too. The first two competitors were both shaky, and their performances were full of flaws, but Mohini Bhardwaj was absolutely robbed with the score she received after delivering such a great performance, especially in comparison to the two who went before her.

But then there's track and the men's 400M... one, two, one, two, three, I've got a ticket so ride with me!

Oh, and Olympics events that it wouldn't phase me in the least to lose:

Beach Volleyball
Trampoline
Hula Hoop (or any of the Gymnastics-Rhythmic ribbon froo-froo variations)
Water Polo
Synchronized Diving
Badminton
Canoeing
Sailing
Shooting (I'm iffy about this one, but it sure doesn't seem to have much of an athletic aspect to it, and yes, I've shot at a range and been hunting before)
Equestrian events in general

Now... bring on the wrestling!

Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:21 pm

Water polo rules! I really enjoy watching this sport. Its athletic and it takes skill, imo. We really could cut out the synchronized stuff tho. Volleyball is uberfun to play and OK to watch for the first 2 hours. After that, it just becomes a chore. It is OK in the olympics too. Rhythmic gymnastics? Please. Ditch it. Nobody cares. my 2c.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 pm

Alexandre Despatie, gold medal, men's 3M Springboard Diving. Congrats Canadians! Was that your first medal in diving, overall, or just in 3M Springboard?

Hicham El Guerrouj, Morocco, gold medal, track, men's 1500M. This was a beautiful win, and had me up and cheering him on. I saw him fall in 1996, and watched him overtaken in first place at the last second in 2000. He may not have been the favorite this time, but you could see him sweating determination as he took the lead position and forcefully wrote his name across that gold medal. Getting past that Kenyan blockade was a feat unto itself.

Rulon Gardner... you gotta respect that, even when he loses.

The Iraq Soccer Team... you gotta respect that, too. I'm really hoping they'll walk away with the bronze medal, if they can't have the gold.

Perdita Felicien of Canada... ouch. I almost expected Irina Shevchenko of Russia to turn around and start beating the crap out of her when I saw the look on her face when she realized her race was blown. What a horrible memory for either of them to have to walk away with.

Canoeing... Does anybody else get the feeling when they watch these little one-man canoeing events that whomever created this sport was a big fan of those one-legged, big-footed, puddle-jumping dwarves from C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, in the book "The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'"?

Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:57 am

Ashiwi wrote:Alexandre Despatie, gold medal, men's 3M Springboard Diving. Congrats Canadians! Was that your first medal in diving, overall, or just in 3M Springboard?

Hicham El Guerrouj, Morocco, gold medal, track, men's 1500M. This was a beautiful win, and had me up and cheering him on. I saw him fall in 1996, and watched him overtaken in first place at the last second in 2000. He may not have been the favorite this time, but you could see him sweating determination as he took the lead position and forcefully wrote his name across that gold medal. Getting past that Kenyan blockade was a feat unto itself.

Rulon Gardner... you gotta respect that, even when he loses.

The Iraq Soccer Team... you gotta respect that, too. I'm really hoping they'll walk away with the bronze medal, if they can't have the gold.

Perdita Felicien of Canada... ouch. I almost expected Irina Shevchenko of Russia to turn around and start beating the crap out of her when I saw the look on her face when she realized her race was blown. What a horrible memory for either of them to have to walk away with.

Canoeing... Does anybody else get the feeling when they watch these little one-man canoeing events that whomever created this sport was a big fan of those one-legged, big-footed, puddle-jumping dwarves from C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, in the book "The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'"?

First medal in diving for Canada...but since we blow at the Summer Games not real surprising there.

*holding my breath for the Winter Games*
Meatshield
Larble
Sojourner

Postby Larble » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:14 pm

Vahok wrote:

[/quote]
First medal in diving for Canada...but since we blow at the Summer Games not real surprising there.

*holding my breath for the Winter Games*

[quote]

No V....you just blow! now back to your originally scheduled thread *beep*
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:57 pm

::mourn::

That two weeks went by all too quickly.

American women's teams kicked ass!

I guess our "Dream Team" didn't realize that while they were dreaming of nothing but the endorsements they might get out of their "assured" gold medals, the other teams were actually dreaming of winning. Sometimes the ass-kicking we receive is rightfully deserved. I think we should fly the NBA a great big birdie, do away with the private cruise ship the USA basketball team stays on, recruit from young amateur players who are chomping at the bit for a chance at the glory, fame and honor of representing in the Olympics, and put their asses right back in the Olympic Village where they belong. If we lose a few, so what? At least we wouldn't have the embarrassment of treating our players like their asses have to be wiped with golden toilet paper because they couldn't possibly lose, only to see them disentegrate on the floor because they don't even seem to understand the basic concepts of the game... like TEAMWORK.

I hope they give that kilted freak who manhandled Vanderlei de Lima off the marathon track a bit more than two months behind bars, this time. He should have been given more than that last time, since he endangered quite a few lives at the Grand Prix.

All in all, it was a great two weeks! I'm disappointed in NBC for its coverage, somewhat... great coverage for a small number of events, pathetic coverage for everything else. We took golds in Fencing, Shooting, and TaeKwonDo... you'd think they could at least have shown these events during the late-night hours. Personally, I wanted to see all the events, even those we didn't take a single medal in, but I'd be more than happy just to see the highlights. Where was the weightlifting this year???

Dangit. I guess next time I'm just going to have to break down and get cable... and a few extra television sets and recorders. Seems a shame to have to go through that for two weeks once every four years, though... I hate watching TV any other time, and the only point of having cable during non-Olympics season is for the Discovery channel.

Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:27 pm

I hope they give that kilted freak who manhandled Vanderlei de Lima off the marathon track a bit more than two months behind bars, this time. He should have been given more than that last time, since he endangered quite a few lives at the Grand Prix.

thought you'd like to know, this off of yahoo a couple minutes ago...

A defrocked Irish priest with a history of disrupting sports events was given a one-year suspended sentence and fined $3,600 Monday for grabbing a runner who was leading the Olympic marathon with three miles to go.
Horan, 57, was wearing a green beret, red kilt and knee-high green socks when he pushed de Lima. Horan, who apologized to the court, was told he would have to serve the sentence if he violated any other laws in Greece in the next three years. He was expected to return home to London.

But while watching the today show this morning they talked about what happened.. apparently the IOC gave De Lima an award for showing such a good olympic attitude ( I think I got the wording right.) Thought you would like to hear about it ;)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:55 pm

Duna wrote:

thought you'd like to know, this off of yahoo a couple minutes ago...

A defrocked Irish priest with a history of disrupting sports events was given a one-year suspended sentence and fined $3,600 Monday for grabbing a runner who was leading the Olympic marathon with three miles to go.
Horan, 57, was wearing a green beret, red kilt and knee-high green socks when he pushed de Lima. Horan, who apologized to the court, was told he would have to serve the sentence if he violated any other laws in Greece in the next three years. He was expected to return home to London.

But while watching the today show this morning they talked about what happened.. apparently the IOC gave De Lima an award for showing such a good olympic attitude ( I think I got the wording right.) Thought you would like to hear about it ;)

I think De Lima should get 5 minutes alone in a room with that guy as his award. No questions asked. ;)

Letting this guy off like that is kind of bullshitty if you ask me... Especially if this is the second time he's done this!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:12 pm

actually this isn't his second offense.. his first in Greece, but here's a bit more from that news article...

Horan, in a costume similar to Sunday's, ran onto the track at the British Grand Prix last year and stayed there for more than 20 seconds, forcing Formula One racers traveling at more than 200 mph to swerve around him. He was carrying a sign that said: "Read the Bible — the Bible is always right."
British authorities said Horan also attempted a protest on Wimbledon Center Court during a rain break, and tried to disrupt cricket and rugby matches.

The rest happened in Britain so ;)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:54 pm

Nah, they shouldn't put him in a room with Lima... Lima's a small guy. They should put him in a room for five minutes alone with Lima's fans. You should have seen the spectators of the race jumping on the guy to pull him off of Lima, I was surprised the security guards got him back in one piece.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”