Stupid BitTorrent

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Stupid BitTorrent

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:34 am

Does anyone have any idea on how to make it go faster?
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:23 am

I could never get it to work at all...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:55 am

Been having problems with it myself..though I think my problem is mainly because of my router. What ports does it use anyway? Haven't been able to find out
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:01 pm

I don't know what ports bittorrent uses, but I know blizzards downloader, which runs using bittorrent code requires you to open ports in your firewall big enough for Ted Kennedy to get through.

IMHO bittorrent is evil.

-Llandrien
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Teej tells you 'I think they're deliberately outsourcing - trying to improve their genetics.'
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:31 pm

I use bittorrent fairly often. I like it. Speed is largely based on the amount of uploading bandwidth of the ppl currently sharing the file versus the number of downloaders. Too a much lesser extend your own UL to DL ratio effects your speed. To speed up your download try getting the files when they are newly released and theres a large number of uploaders sharing it.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:44 pm

Pay attention to how many people are seeding the file before grabbing it. Makes a HUGE difference. Also, torrent downloads typically get faster the longer you leave them going since people who are uploading more of the file get higher download priority (so after you've had more time to share the portions you have, your download speed goes up).

Ports 6881 to 6889 are normally used by torrents, but it depends on your client. The official page for the client should have specific port information.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”