DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK CHEEEEEENEEEEEEEY!!!!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK CHEEEEEENEEEEEEEY!!!!

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:00 am

If you're an American and you want to vote, read this.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/dickcheney/

It is an unnofficial biography of Dick Cheny. It is very concise, easy to read and shows his career as a cheat and a liar (aka polititian).

God I love the CBC, last time they showed something like this about Cheney the US Gov't moved to have the supreme court of canada emplace an injunction... That time it was "The National" (another canadian world news program) who had obtained documents and photo's from white house archives showing cheney shaking hands with Saddam back in 1998 (this was a to finalize a deal with Irap for haliburton to supply iraq with parts for it's oil procurement and refinement facilities, while under US embargo). You'll never see this information because after the program aired, the US apeal when through and the injunction required CBC to remove the information from it's archives and appologize for telling the truth.

I'm not going to state my oppinion, but feel free to post yours. I'm still laughing my ass off.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:44 am

*sigh*

I fear I've scared Corth and Rylan off...

Any idea where I could find that picture you spoke of? It would be an interesting thing to post at the next Farl political thread... heh.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:23 pm

Sarvis wrote:I fear I've scared Corth and Rylan off...
I wouldn't give yourself THAT much credit...

Sarvis wrote:Any idea where I could find that picture you spoke of? It would be an interesting thing to post at the next Farl political thread... heh.

I've been all over the internet and the CBC archives and the official story from The CBC was something like this:

The images have been removed from the CBC archives and websites. Due to injunction by the Supreme Court of Canada, the freedom of information act does not apply to any documents or photos pertaining to the episode of 'The National' in question.

I have the letter somewhere, I tried to get copies via the freedom of information act back in 2003 just because I know a lot of people who would be interested in such an article.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:12 pm

This is utter crap. Typical of Canadian state sponsored media. Lots of insinuations and implications, quotes taken out of context, but no actual conclusions because they know it won't stand.

For instance, Cheney's quote that he had other priorities other than joining the army during Vietnam. Sounds kind of bad. But like Clinton and many others in his generation, he was in college - which happens to be another priority that legitimately could be pursued at the time rather than fighting.

I love the implication that Cheney got his job at Halliburton following '92 desert storm because he the department of defense gave the corp a contract.

As for the CBC, you guys ought to check out <a href ="http://www.cbcwatch.ca"> this site</a>.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:37 pm

Corth wrote:This is utter crap. Typical of Canadian state sponsored media. Lots of insinuations and implications, quotes taken out of context, but no actual conclusions because they know it won't stand.

No, you're thinking of the GOP. ;)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:43 pm

I like how you skipped over the whole imaginary troops/tanks on the Saudi border, and focus on how Cheney became CEO of Haliburton.

It seems quite clear from the timeline that well before Cheney was likely to be the Haliburton CEO he already had a pretty friendly relationship with the guy who was CEO at the time.

You might just as well claim Cheney became CEO because of a fishing trip!

Didn't spend too much time at your link though. Sorry, but they have an ugly layout and color scheme... care to summarize?

Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:18 pm

Oh no, not another sarvis vs. corth thread :( These things read exactly the same. Can we just... not... this time?
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:36 pm

Shar wrote:Oh no, not another sarvis vs. corth thread :( These things read exactly the same. Can we just... not... this time?

Hey now, it wasn't just Corth. It was me vs. rylan, Corth AND Imis9!

Give me some credit here... ;)

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:21 pm

Sarvis wrote:It was me vs. rylan, Corth AND Imis9!

Imis9 is far, far better than Imis8.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Diel
Sojourner

Re: DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK CHEEEEEENEEEEEEEY!!!!

Postby Diel » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:29 pm

Iaiken Toransier wrote:If you're an American and you want to vote, read this.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/dickcheney/

It is an unnofficial biography of Dick Cheny. It is very concise, easy to read and shows his career as a cheat and a liar (aka polititian).

God I love the CBC, last time they showed something like this about Cheney the US Gov't moved to have the supreme court of canada emplace an injunction... That time it was "The National" (another canadian world news program) who had obtained documents and photo's from white house archives showing cheney shaking hands with Saddam back in 1998 (this was a to finalize a deal with Irap for haliburton to supply iraq with parts for it's oil procurement and refinement facilities, while under US embargo). You'll never see this information because after the program aired, the US apeal when through and the injunction required CBC to remove the information from it's archives and appologize for telling the truth.

I'm not going to state my oppinion, but feel free to post yours. I'm still laughing my ass off.

What's the fuggin_deal with the selective_capitalization and misspelled_words?

It's like you're not even fuggin_trying!

I'm so_fuggin_lost :(
Hoppel ASSOC:: 'ROFL ON THE BEST FLOOR EVAR!!!1!1!oneone'

Klandan group-says 'No, I just won't group with him. Just making that clear up front.

Hibbidy tells you 'kill giant'

Twyl tells you 'I hate my life'

Don't blame me because you aren't an interesting person and have a problem finding anything to talk about.
muma
Sojourner

Corth > You

Postby muma » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:12 pm

Corth pwns!

That is all you ever need know.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Re: DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK CHEEEEEENEEEEEEEY!!!!

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:18 pm

Diel wrote:What's the fuggin_deal with the selective_capitalization and misspelled_words?

It's like you're not even fuggin_trying!

I'm so_fuggin_lost :(

Gimme a fuggin_break, it was 11pm (i never changed my timezone in my profile) and I had just gotten back from kung fu class... I was exhausted and I wanted to have something interesting to read the next day. So :P

The Canadian gov't pulls some of the same BS, our current PM's shipping firm is based off-shore and deals with many of the same embargo'd nations in the same way.

All I can say is, "Vote for the canditate you hate the least..."

Frankenstien vs. The Chimp *Ding Ding Ding*
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:24 pm

You're from Quebec aren't you? That would make you 50% French, and thus 100% *pfft*
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:44 pm

Gormal wrote:You're from Quebec aren't you? That would make you 50% French, and thus 100% *pfft*

Sorry goatlover, I'm an Ontarian through and through... I speak French, but only because they made me take it in highschool. Either way, it has no real bearing on the relavance of the material.

And hey, don't you find it ironic that Dick Cheney dodged the draft on FIVE occassions, only to be the driving force in both Iraqi conflicts? At least he didn't institute a draft either time...

And as for his denials of knowledge that Halliburton subsidiaries were dealing with Iraq and Iran during his time as CEO; thus violating the embargos, makes him etiher a liar, or a VERY bad CEO.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:33 am

Bush feels people across the country praying for him.

How can anyone, other than maybe other fundie nutjobs, vote for someone who says something like that?

Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:32 am

"What can you do against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?"
-- George Orwell

I've given up trying to convince some folks of their idealistic nonsense. All politicians by their very nature are liars, so when you say Cheney lied about this, then I would just say Kerry lied about that. A good example is Kerry's terrible conduct in Vietnam and the lies he told to get 2 of his 3 purple hearts. I always think of Frank Burns from MASH when I see Kerry now. In addition, he came home and became part of the anti war propaganda machine which was used by the bad guys in Vietnam to hurt our troops during the war.

In the end, I just have to have faith in our system and hope that enough Americans go and vote for Bush/Cheney to keep out Kerry. Can you imagine that nut Theresa Hienz Kerry as first lady? Nuff said.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:24 pm

Well.... sorry Shar.

Imis9 wrote:

I've given up trying to convince some folks of their idealistic nonsense. All politicians by their very nature are liars, so when you say Cheney lied about this, then I would just say Kerry lied about that. A good example is Kerry's terrible conduct in Vietnam and the lies he told to get 2 of his 3 purple hearts.

Ugh. Look, I'd argue much less if you guys had actual valid reasons for voting Bush.

The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth made up all their crap. George Elliot, who is featured in their first ad saying how bad Kerry was ALSO happens to be the same guy who recommended Kerry for the Silver Star in the first place. Not only that but until last June he was saying how well deserved Kerry's medals were.

I always think of Frank Burns from MASH when I see Kerry now. In addition, he came home and became part of the anti war propaganda machine which was used by the bad guys in Vietnam to hurt our troops during the war.

Wanting to end the war sooner was a bad thing?

Seriously, how much longer do you want Vietnam to have lasted? another year? 2 years? Is that what you have in mind for Iraq?

It's also not as if anything Kerry said was false. He was reporting what other soldiers claimed they had done, and the atrocities he spoke about are now well documented.

Kerry did NOTHING inappropriate or wrong. He tried to get our government to end an unjust war and bring our soldiers out of harm's way.

In the end, I just have to have faith in our system and hope that enough Americans go and vote for Bush/Cheney to keep out Kerry. Can you imagine that nut Theresa Hienz Kerry as first lady? Nuff said.

Can you imagine the Supreme Court Judges Bush would appoint? I hope you hate freedom, and that you are a straight Christian who doesn't ever know anyone who is impregnated by rape and facing death.

An interesting question came up in a Fark thread last night. Can you find three positive things to say about the candidate you oppose. Well, the guy who asked actually said clinton...

Not ONE Bush supporter answered that question.

I struggled to find three things about Bush, and did:

1) Deposed Saddam Hussein.
2) No Child Left Behind.
3) Extended unemployment benefits during the worst parts of the recession.

Think you guys can do the same? For Kerry? For Clinton?

Or are you just so wrapped up in hate and rhetoric that logic can find no hold?

Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:05 pm

Imis9 wrote:I've given up trying to convince some folks of their idealistic nonsense. All politicians by their very nature are liars, so when you say Cheney lied about this, then I would just say Kerry lied about that. A good example is Kerry's terrible conduct in Vietnam and the lies he told to get 2 of his 3 purple hearts. I always think of Frank Burns from MASH when I see Kerry now. In addition, he came home and became part of the anti war propaganda machine which was used by the bad guys in Vietnam to hurt our troops during the war.

It's not that Cheney just lied (that's expected from politicians), it's that the company under his directorship VIOLATED American export laws before he became Vice President. By all technicality (not legality) it can be seen as a form of treason to allow your company to deal with your nations enemies. It was an amoral choice that he would allow (or even direct) Halliburton (a company under american leadership) and it's forign subsidiaries to trade with the ENEMIES of the United States. While he walks free, there are other American Halliburton employees who sold Halliburton parts to Iran out of nations like Canada and Mexico (who were not involved in the embargo until lately) under the direction of Halliburton Sr. Managemen, who were were lured onto American soil so that they could be arrested and tried by the CIA.

The article I presented has memo's where Memo's outlining contracts in Iraq were directed to the VP's desk five weeks becore any other contractors could, Halliburton won ALL of them. This is not just a coincedence, it's profiteering. The SEC has stated that he has over 7 million in Halliburton stock options.

---------------
When you shovel bullshit for a living, it never dissapears, it just piles up and you have to hope that nobody minds the smell.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:34 pm

No Child Left Behind isn't a positive thing unless you believe public education is unnecessary.

The primary tenet of it is this...

All students will pass every state test or the school will be punished.

Which means mentally handicapped must pass (they still haven't had the ADA vs. NCLB court battle over this yet) or it is the school's fault.

Which means that when a student doesn't take the test (skips school that week) it is the school's fault.

Which means that when a student makes pictures out of the bubble sheet, it's the school's fault.

If any of these things happen, parents can then send their children to any school they wish (including religious private schools) with federal monies going with them.

Last time I checked,most people agree perfection isn't possible in standardized testing, nor is taking money away from an underfunded situation going to increase the productivity.

Good plan coming from a guy who wants 'Faith Based' (federally funded religion) social programs and never attended public schools.

For having such a horrible public education, both Cheney and Edwards seemed to have done pretty well.
emote Rescuepractice
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:47 am

Damn I go on vacation for a week and I miss out on a silly thread that I could've stirred up trouble in! ;)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:03 am

Salen wrote:No Child Left Behind isn't a positive thing unless you believe public education is unnecessary.

I was struggling to find good things about Bush... gimme a break! ;)

I has had _some_ success though I believe...

And I think Kerry's plans would be better. You know, the whole firing the crappy teacher thing.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:07 am

Sarvis wrote:And I think Kerry's plans would be better. You know, the whole firing the crappy teacher thing.

*sarcasm*

That's anti-jobs, anti-economy, anti-workers rights, and anti-american families.

*seroiusly now*

John Kerry wants to teach the countries children with what? Spitballs?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:52 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Sarvis wrote:And I think Kerry's plans would be better. You know, the whole firing the crappy teacher thing.

*sarcasm*

That's anti-jobs, anti-economy, anti-workers rights, and anti-american families.

*seroiusly now*

John Kerry wants to teach the countries children with what? Spitballs?

I'll assume you were still not being serious Zell, but I believe he wants better teachers.

I'm sure there's plenty of teachers out there ttrying to get their first job right now.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:54 am

Oh, look, more feces-throwing. Thanks for doing your part, everyone, to make this a friendly and welcoming environment for all sorts of newbies who might drop in to check the BBS out before playing the game.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:24 am

moritheil wrote:Oh, look, more feces-throwing. Thanks for doing your part, everyone, to make this a friendly and welcoming environment for all sorts of newbies who might drop in to check the BBS out before playing the game.

It's a god damn political thread? What do you want? People have opinions. Deal with it. :P
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”